Tarp
    DIY SWT
    Insulation
    JRB Nest & DIY RMS
    Suspension
    Whoopee Slings
    Images

Corner patch

If the netless Safari didn't keep the corner reinforcement patches you might want to add ones like I did on my HH Clone. I believe it helps keep the shape and I have not experienced the problems you mention.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Stoikurt
    "Work to Live...Don't Live to Work!"

Hammock
    DIYZipper top entry
    Tarp
    MEC silnylon
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by stoikurt View Post
    If the netless Safari didn't keep the corner reinforcement patches you might want to add ones like I did on my HH Clone. I believe it helps keep the shape and I have not experienced the problems you mention.
    It does have the corner reinforcement patches so thats no an issue. What has me a bit concerned is where the ridge line on both ends has about 4 inches approx of the hammock edges sewn together. When getting in from the top it pulls the sewn part to the side I am getting in from and puts a fair amount of tension on the fabric. Mabe just worried about nuttin.... but.... worry fills the time between workin on the hammocks...
    What I lack in knowledge I MORE than make up for with opinions.
    Green Therapy

Hammock
    Custom 1.7/1.1 WB Blackbird
    Tarp
    DIY SWT
    Insulation
    JRB Nest & DIY RMS
    Suspension
    Whoopee Slings
    Images
    I also put reinforcement triangle on the ends to help hold the shape. You might want to try that. It should help distribute the stress.
    HH Clone End Reinforcement
    Stoikurt
    "Work to Live...Don't Live to Work!"

Hammock
    DIYZipper top entry
    Tarp
    MEC silnylon
    Images
    [QUOTE=stoikurt;31571]I also put reinforcement triangle on the ends to help hold the shape. You might want to try that. It should help distribute the stress.

Will have to try that. I see that you also have a zipper on your bug screen and was wondering if you did anything to reinforce the edge that gets sat on when climbing in. On the next hammock that I make ( soon ) I am considering sewing some gross grain or light weight nylon webbing the full length of that edge and that would be held by the whipping.
    What I lack in knowledge I MORE than make up for with opinions.
    Green Therapy

Hammock
    DIY Bridge
    Tarp
    DIY Tarps
    Insulation
    Leigh's UQ's
    Images
    I received my netless HH explorers and they pretty much were what I expected. I think the nets were removed from these. If you look closely at the edges it looks like the netting is showing at the hem.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by GREEN THERAPY View Post
    Just went to the HH web site and had a look at one of the large hammock there. In the picture there is a person sitting up in the hammock and his head is below the ride line and the sag in it is huge. The one that I bought would look the same with a net on it so that must just be the reg. design for that size. Can you reach the ridge line when laying in your safari Billybob?
    Yes I can, surprizingly. I went out today and hiked and had a great hang. I got pictures, including my hand above the RL while lying down. But I had trouble posting them, I'll try again later. But it's for sure a lot further than in my UL Explorer.

My impression of this unit is a bit more positive than yesterday. Very comfortable, and feels better and more stable with the side lines staked out. Great chair, piss poor lounger unless you take your shoes of and get in, but I guess that's not really that big of a deal. And if you get in, then it's easy to sit up with legs crossed or scoot up a bit, then it's just like I'm in my recliner at home.

Bonus for those who still like mummy bags: I am able to sit and lay flat so well in this hammock, it was quite easy to get in a bag. I laid the bag out diagonal with the top hanging over the left side, sat down and smoothed the bottom surface out, put my feet in, pulled the bag up my back and hood over my head all while still sitting, and laid down. I was into the bag with hood cinched down in a couple of minutes max, with very little effort expended. This was easier in this hammock than the 2 others I have tried. Of course, a quilt is still easier.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by GREEN THERAPY View Post
    It does have the corner reinforcement patches so thats no an issue. What has me a bit concerned is where the ridge line on both ends has about 4 inches approx of the hammock edges sewn together. When getting in from the top it pulls the sewn part to the side I am getting in from and puts a fair amount of tension on the fabric. Mabe just worried about nuttin.... but.... worry fills the time between workin on the hammocks...
    Ah, yes, mine does that. I'm not sure it will be a problem, but it might.

After today, I think I like this hammock enough overall that I wish I could get the exact same thing with the materials of the UL Explorer to save weight.
    Last edited by BillyBob58; 10-11-2007 at 23:54.

Images
    Well mine's still not here. Must have been one of those 'caught' in customs...
    For lounging, have y'all tried folding it over like you have to for a netted HH?
    Scott

"Man is a stream whose source is hidden."
    RWE

Hammock
    GrizzBridge Ariel
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Winter
    Insulation
    DIY UQ
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by BillyBob58 View Post
    Ah, yes, mine does that. I'm not sure it will be a problem, but it might.

After today, I think I like this hammock enough overall that I wish I could get the exact same thing with the materials of the UL Explorer to save weight.
    You'll remember that TeeDee built a lightweight Safari clone using 1.9 oz. As I recall in came in around two and a half pounds. Reading about that clone tickled my latent DIY urge. See the pictures of him building a bridge brought that urge blazing out into the open.

Grizz

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by schrochem View Post
    Well mine's still not here. Must have been one of those 'caught' in customs...
    For lounging, have y'all tried folding it over like you have to for a netted HH?
    I tried it once, no go. Maybe I need to keep trying. But like I said, if I just take my shoes off and hop in and slide way up, I am sitting recliner style with a great view all around. So if I can't get it to work the old way, it won't be that big a deal I guess.

Here is a shot of what I consider to be laying flat as a board. So far, this is the only pic I have been able to upload for some reason.

Last edited by BillyBob58; 10-12-2007 at 12:20.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast