DIY Knotty/Speer special, RED
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Superfly
    Insulation
    50 extree pounds
    Suspension
    Whoopy slings
    You mean like this Lizzie?

Went to Lowes and bought two of these. They're rated at 800 pounds I think the package says. As you can see in the picture I have this one installed on the stud next to the window. The other wall is in the stud next to the closet. These are double studs, there is a header and footer for the window in the one next to it. I've had the sheetrock off the wall before so know the condition of them and that they're full length in the wall. Sure, I'm really only into one stud but it's nailed to the next one. Frankly, if you'd seen the size of the TV I had hanging from a single stud in the wall you wouldn't worry much about hanging the average human. I'm just a little shy of double that weight by the way.

I can tell you I thought I was gonna bust a 4x4.. it was untreated and cemented outdoors.. just a matter of time but it really didn't like me.. ended up stretching to a tree..

As for drilling in the studs.. a 2x4 at that.. "thin face" force has more weight resistance that if it were wide face and the fact it'll probably have to be in the top 1/3 instead of close to the middle, you're also getting added weight resistance.. So long as there's bite in the screw/bolt, I highly doubt the 2x4 would break unless it's old and busted, espcially anchored into the wallframe..

Hammock
    HH ULBPA, GT Nano 7
    Tarp
    HH Hex, Edge Spinn
    Insulation
    3S Burrow/Phoenix
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Quote Originally Posted by DiscoveryDiver View Post
    2x4s in a sheetrock matrix have a lot more strength than independent poles out in the air...

Breaking 4x4s is pretty impressive...must have been an unusual load vector...
    Exactly. You aren't hanging from just a 2x4 like you would from a single post with no support. You're hanging from a 2x4 that typically has other 2x4's every 16", with a footer and double header nailed to it. Sheetrock is typically on one or both sides, and in the case of an exterior wall, plywood is on one of the sides. If you have a window or door, there are typically 2-3 studs nailed together on either side of it, and a couple of 2x12s or 2x10s nailed together to form a header over the opening as well. All that being said, basic physics should be taken into place too. Corners will be stronger than the center of walls, and shorter spans of open wall stronger than longer spans. I seriously doubt you would pull a stud out of a wall, and doubt even more that you would break one. I think the most likely things that would happen would be that your mount would pull out of the stud itself, or the wall might get deflected inward a bit. The last one isn't as bad as it sounds, you'd be surprised how many walls in houses are not square/plumb/perfectly flat along their faces. This is all said with the caveat that I have no idea how your house is built, so do anything of this nature at your own risk to yourself and your house.
    Visualize whirled peas.

Hammock
    11ft DIY
    Tarp
    AHE Toxaway
    Insulation
    DIY Primaloft
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by tomsawyer222 View Post
    i put a 2x6 across both walls and used decking screws to attach it to every stud in the wall for about 8 feet i use amsteel tree straps wrapped around the board and various different points to let me hang where ever in the room this set up holds two hammocks side by side no problem also put a self on top of the 2x6 so you dont even know it holds the hammocks at night.
    any pics of what this looks like? thinking about an indoor setup, but my wife doesn't want hooks in the wall. i told her about this idea with the shelf and she said she wants a picture before she lets me try it.

Hammock
    ENO - DN
    Tarp
    DIY Spinn/ Tadpole
    Insulation
    Orca IX/Incubator
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Quote Originally Posted by flatline View Post
    these dudes work very well and easy to find.

http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-5yc1...atalogId=10053
    Thanks Flatline! I bought the four pack of those at Home Depot and secured them to corner studs using Spax #10 X 2" screws. I did a test hang and they do not seem to be budging at all - rock solid. After a full night or two, I should know whether they will work for sure. Nice to be able to hang indoors.

Hammock
    Sheltowee 20
    Tarp
    Speer
    Insulation
    Burrow
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by tomsawyer222 View Post
    i put a 2x6 across both walls and used decking screws to attach it to every stud in the wall for about 8 feet i use amsteel tree straps wrapped around the board and various different points to let me hang where ever in the room this set up holds two hammocks side by side no problem also put a self on top of the 2x6 so you dont even know it holds the hammocks at night.
    I would love to see some pictures of this setup!! ( I realize this is an old post, but still)
    Something hidden. Go and find it. Go, and look behind the Ranges. Something lost behind the Ranges. Lost and waiting for you . . . Go! - Rudyard Kipling

Suspension
    DIY whoopies
    I would love to see a picture of a 2 X 4 pulled out of a wall or a wall completely pulled over.
    St. Lawrence was a Christian deacon tortured to death by the Romans in AD 258. According to legend, Laurentius was martyred on a iron grill over a fire, during which ordeal he is said to have quipped to his persecutors: "Turn me over. I'm done on this side!"
    He is the patron saint of cooks.

Images
    I took a different approach that I have not seen repeated here. I have done this in 3 rooms of my house. One for my daughter who is 80ish lbs, another for my son who is 125ish pounds and lastly for myself at 215 pounds.

I took a product called a Sammy, http://www.itwbuildex.com/sas_woodvertical.shtml it was the 2" wood screw, and a forged eye bolt that screws in when he wants to hang. When not hanging there is nothing obtrusive left in wall, only a small hole for the eye bolt to screw into. I screwed it into the top plate of the wall, just below the ceiling, then patched with a small amount of spackling, touch up paint and it's there when I need it and gone when I don't.

Hammock
    DIY
    Insulation
    Jarbridge UQ
    Suspension
    AHE Whoopie Sys

inside hang - wall stud

I took a 2x4 and mounted it to the top plate with three screws at each end then put an eye bolt in the center of the 2x4 at an angle. So far it has held up pretty well. Hanging from a wall can be scary at first.
    Dev
    "It’s a dangerous business, walking out one’s front door" – Gandalf

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123