Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Images

Wool blanket as UQ insulation?

Has anyone used an old army blanket for uq insulation? I realize it is not as compressable as down, and it is heavy, but it is warm. I am thinking about making one just to see. I would rather not cut up a perfectly good blanket only to find out that it wasn't a good idea. So, if someone has already done it, was it a good or bad idea?

Tone
    "The first time I saw a hammock, I remember thinking, 'Now I know what trees are for.'" --Jim Gaffigan, comedian

Hammock
    BB1.0 double
    Tarp
    Hybrid Cuben F.
    Insulation
    Down & IX
    Suspension
    BB straps,whoopies
    I took one of my army wool blankets and sewed a piece of DWR nylon to one side of it. So far my husband has used it as ground insulation inside his tent, it worked well for that. I'd need to sew some ties on it to attach it to my hammock's bottom and I haven't because I also have a military poncho liner w/ties and I sometimes will use that as an UQ. It's lighter than the wool blanket. I have used it just sitting around at night to cover me with. It's very warm and with the DWR nylon to the outside, it blocks all the wind and keeps in the heat. If you added some ties to the sides, it should work very well for an UQ. Try it like that and if you're not retaining the heat, add a layer of DWR nylon. My poncho liner is not cut up to fit my hammock, I just use all the ties on it to make it fit so it's still a poncho liner. Do the same with the wool blanket and then if you find that you really like using it and it's working for you, you might look into cutting it to make it fit.

Oak Ridge & Linville Gorge, North Carolina
    Hammock
    HHE, 2QZQ Mod4, Jerry 5 DIY
    Tarp
    HG Cuben/SFly Camo
    Insulation
    HammockGear Prod.
    Suspension
    Use them all!
    Images
    Maybe pick up some of the tarp type clips from your local hardware or big box store ... and use it on the wool blanket .. folding it for the best fit to your hammock. That way you can see if it works for you before cutting it.

But unless you're car camping ... awfully heavy way to insulate a hammock. I'd probably try a pad over carrying the blanket myself. But I'm old and cranky
    Last edited by Hawk-eye; 08-08-2010 at 07:26.

WARNING: Will discuss Rhurbarb Strawberry Pie and Livermush at random.

"A democracy is two wolves and a small lamb voting on what to have for dinner.
    Freedom under a constitutional republic is a well armed lamb contesting the vote." ... B.Franklin

Home of the Gorge Rats: Linville Gorge
    My Videos YouTube Channel
    Photo collections Flickr Photostream

Gorge Rat Productions On FaceBook

Hammock
    Blackbird
    Tarp
    MacCat Standard
    Insulation
    Winter Yeti, MWUQ4
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Making it snug to the hammock with no air gaps may be a challenge, since it's doesn't really loft. Other than that, no reason it wouldn't work. You might want a windproof layer on it, like TinaLouise describes.
    “Republics are created by the virtue, public spirit, and intelligence of the citizens. They fall when the wise are banished from the public councils because they dare to be honest, and the profligate are rewarded because they flatter the people, in order to betray them.” ~Judge Joseph Story

- My site: http://www.tothewoods.net/
    - Designer, Jeff's Gear Hammock / Pack Cover by JRB

IMPOSSIBLE JUST TAKES LONGER

Hammock
    Varies
    Tarp
    GargoyleGear Ogee
    Insulation
    UQ-varies w/season
    Suspension
    Dutchgear
    The lack of compressibility suggests to me that the blanket might be more effective between the layers of a double layer hammock than suspended as an under quilt.
    Dave

"Loneliness is the poverty of self; solitude is the richness of self."~~~May Sarton

Oak Ridge & Linville Gorge, North Carolina
    Hammock
    HHE, 2QZQ Mod4, Jerry 5 DIY
    Tarp
    HG Cuben/SFly Camo
    Insulation
    HammockGear Prod.
    Suspension
    Use them all!
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by oldgringo View Post
    The lack of compressibility suggests to me that the blanket might be more effective between the layers of a double layer hammock than suspended as an under quilt.
    You know ... other than the weight issue ... it might be more comfortable in that configuration than a pad would

WARNING: Will discuss Rhurbarb Strawberry Pie and Livermush at random.

"A democracy is two wolves and a small lamb voting on what to have for dinner.
    Freedom under a constitutional republic is a well armed lamb contesting the vote." ... B.Franklin

Home of the Gorge Rats: Linville Gorge
    My Videos YouTube Channel
    Photo collections Flickr Photostream

Gorge Rat Productions On FaceBook

Hammock
    HH Hyperlite & WBBB 1.0 Double
    Insulation
    Crowsnest/No Snive
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by oldgringo View Post
    I've used one like this, but it tended to slide around far more than a pad does and bunches in areas. I ended up using the blanket as it was originally designed inside the hammock with good results. The key is the lack of compressibility of wool.

Hammock
    Blackbird
    Tarp
    MacCat Standard
    Insulation
    Winter Yeti, MWUQ4
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Hrm...if you didn't care about weight, it might be worth sewing a wool blanket between the layers. Just sew it to the long edge seams, allowing for some sag between the layers. The nylon will stretch but you don't want the blanket to stretch with it.

With a windproof layer as the outer layer, I bet that would be comfy.
    “Republics are created by the virtue, public spirit, and intelligence of the citizens. They fall when the wise are banished from the public councils because they dare to be honest, and the profligate are rewarded because they flatter the people, in order to betray them.” ~Judge Joseph Story

- My site: http://www.tothewoods.net/
    - Designer, Jeff's Gear Hammock / Pack Cover by JRB

IMPOSSIBLE JUST TAKES LONGER

Hammock
    Amazonas Barbados.
    Tarp
    5$ stock tarp
    Insulation
    Wool poncho & bag
    Suspension
    Webbing
    I use a wool blanket under me like a pad, which is far more comfortable and flexible than a pad and works like a charm for three season camping.

-Aduro
    Set fire to the night, for light is only made bright by darkness.

Images
    Well, this weekend I got the body of the uq done. I just need to add channels and shockcord. It has Joanne's ripstop for the bread and wool blanket for the meat. I followed Slackdaddy's instructions:http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/s...ad.php?t=19547

Here is what I have so far:

Here it is next to my hammock for packable size comparison:

When I get it strung up I will give an update. Now I wish it was cold out so I could test it. Just letting it lay on my lap it gets pretty toasty.
    "The first time I saw a hammock, I remember thinking, 'Now I know what trees are for.'" --Jim Gaffigan, comedian

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast