Thread: Hanging Bar

Hammock
    DIY
    Suspension
    7/64 amsteel knots

Hanging Bar

No, not of the barley and spirits kind. Unfortunately that is still under development.

This hanging bar is more of a modified stand/ceiling mounted indoor hanging system. It eliminates the need for the annoyingly inconvenient lengthy span between attachment points of ceiling hanging. It also reduces a major concern I have had with most of the ground based stands I have seen. That of falling back first onto a four inch post.

Those of you who have gone to ceiling can vouch for the length that can be crossed between anchor points. I figured an approximately 8' tall room would need to have approximately a 30' span between attachment points to hang at 30 deg. angle,about 3 off the ground, in a 12' hammock. I don't have that big of a room.......

The first picture pretty much shows the set up. By using a separate interconnected attachment point ( a bar, or in this case a piece of fencing top rail) we can lower where the hammock attaches to while still anchoring said system in the ceiling. Nothing to fall on if the hammock itself fails.

The second picture is just a close up of the ceiling attachment (replace the post with either an eye bolt or for the Knotheads here just tie off to the bar itself.) and the hammock attachment either add another bolt or just tie off on the end or the post.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Images
    not a bad idea. a 12+ pipe or board suspended from chain, rope or bars would work.

Hammock
    WB Traveler
    Tarp
    ZPacks CF
    Insulation
    Te-Wa / HG / WB
    Suspension
    Whoopie Hooks
    Images
    That will work nicely.

If the uprights between the post and the ceiling aren't fixed, you'll be at the end of a pendulum. Every movement will be followed by a period of slow swinging back and forth.
    “I think that when the lies are all told and forgot the truth will be there yet. It dont move about from place to place and it dont change from time to time. You cant corrupt it any more than you can salt salt.” - Cormac McCarthy

Hammock
    DIY
    Suspension
    7/64 amsteel knots
    Karl the support for a 12' hang would actually be a bit shorter when you factor in the amount of sag you like.

Before I found this sight I use to just string 'em tight and hang 'em high, I got lucky nothing failed over some of the places I have roosted. Upon learning of sag and laying asymmetrically I am curious why it hasn't become more of a formal process to determine if not personal comfort at least how to achieve the flattest Asym-laying hang.

"Every movement will be followed by a period of slow swinging back and forth."
    Sounds like your own personal cradle... Unless you have motion-sickness keep a bucket near by.

Seriously though, maybe a couple stuff sacks with something of weight in them could be used as indoor tie outs to at least minimize/counteract the pendulum effect.

As a side note nice to see I am not the only nighthawk on this sight.
    Last edited by ShadeScribe; 08-05-2010 at 03:30. Reason: additions

Hammock
    Double layer DIY
    Tarp
    11 x 10 Sil DIY
    Insulation
    DIY Climashield
    Suspension
    webbing and rings
    Quote Originally Posted by angrysparrow View Post
    That will work nicely.

If the uprights between the post and the ceiling aren't fixed, you'll be at the end of a pendulum. Every movement will be followed by a period of slow swinging back and forth.
    Peaceful. That is unless you are prone to seasickness.
    I have two doctors, my left leg and my right. ~G.M. Trevelyan

Everywhere is walking distance if you have the time. ~Steven Wright

Hammock
    Blackbird
    Tarp
    MacCat Standard
    Insulation
    Winter Yeti, MWUQ4
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    I've hung that way...works great! The compression member was tied directly at the ends of the hammocks, which affects the comfort a little bit but but was still better than sleeping on military issue cots. I just used a 2x4 for the compression member, and clove hitched the supports to it, then ran the supports vertically to the ceiling.

Yours looks nicer than mine did, though.
    “Republics are created by the virtue, public spirit, and intelligence of the citizens. They fall when the wise are banished from the public councils because they dare to be honest, and the profligate are rewarded because they flatter the people, in order to betray them.” ~Judge Joseph Story

- My site: http://www.tothewoods.net/
    - Designer, Jeff's Gear Hammock / Pack Cover by JRB

IMPOSSIBLE JUST TAKES LONGER

Hammock
    Molly Mac Gear
    Images
    If you run a light guy from each ceiling attachment point to the opposite end of the compression strut, you will dampen most longitudinal sway. Tie-outs on the hammock, say to a dresser or door, will dampen transverse sway, if you must.
    - MacEntyre
    "We must, indeed, all hang together or, most assuredly, we shall all hang separately." - Ben Franklin
    www.MollyMacGear.com

• + New Posts