Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Hammock
    SLD 1.1 DL Trail Lair
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slingin'
    Quote Originally Posted by Rain Man View Post
    I use these. I like multi-function gear.

Easton Aluminum Nano Tent Stake

I'd like to see some pics of the whole webbing v. whoopie sling holding the pressure on the "marlin spike toggle." Not sure I follow.

Rain Man

You use these for your toggles? If so i'm trying to figure out how else you can use them if your hammock is hanging.

Hammock
    DIY 10x5 w/srl
    Tarp
    DIY 10'x12' cat pu
    Insulation
    DIY A90 Karo-Step
    Suspension
    Whoopie sling
    Images
    I use 3" aluminum hiking pole shafts that have been sanded on the ends. The mechanism on the pole broke, so they were useless. The great thing is that the two size poles nest. They are hollow. No problems yet.

Hammock
    WBRR/Dutchware Half Wit
    Tarp
    WB Super Fly
    Insulation
    AHE/JRB UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Ditto on the Professor, his videos are awesome!

hollow vs solid tubes

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Tipton View Post
    Never had an aluminum arrow fail and it's hollow. So is PVC, Golf Clubs, Carbon Fiber Arrows, Slurpee Straws........get the picture. Don't get me wrong, solid works. I have a set of 3/8ths aluminum rods that I use sometimes, but I, like most others use hollow arrows. "Hang on zee knot, not zee toggle!"-Shug
    A solid tube will be stronger than a hollow one. BUT a hollow tube is much stronger for its mass compared to a solid one. Since it is mostly the outside of the shaft that is resisting the crushing force the inner section of a solid toggle is just taking up mass unless you start to break through the outer surface. So if one were to carry their toggle with them it would make sense to carry a hollow one. However, you could simply use a stick at the campsite which has zero weight penalty.

Edit: And Grizz IS awesome.
    Last edited by mophead; 03-04-2015 at 02:29.

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    Digital Camo GG
    Insulation
    DIY UQ
    Suspension
    Speed Hooks!
    Quote Originally Posted by mophead View Post
    A solid tube will be stronger than a hollow one. BUT a hollow tube is much stronger for its mass compared to a solid one. Since it is mostly the outside of the shaft that is resisting the crushing force the inner section of a solid toggle is just taking up mass unless you start to break through the outer surface. So if one were to carry their toggle with them it would make sense to carry a hollow one. However, you could simply use a stick at the campsite which has zero weight penalty.

Edit: And Grizz IS awesome.
    It all boils down to what is actually needed and since hammocking leans towards the lightweight, a lot of folks stay away from solid stuff. However, I saw some toggles at Summer Camp that a guy had carved out of deer antlers. Really wish I would have taken pictures, those things were incredible!
    "Never corner anything meaner than you are...."-Unknown

In my experience hammockers will lean towards doing whatever it is they like and understand. A hollow tube will do the job and makes sense when backpacking, but some folks car camp. Some hammocks are hung in back yards. Some backpack and like to purposefully carry more than what is needed because they like their stuff to be "bomb-proof" and it's not my place to say what is best for them. Gotta H.Y.O.H.

I personally prefer wooden dowels, but wouldn't want to carry them. Which works out well since I find there are a ton of wooden dowels of various diameters in the woods (commonly referred to by ground campers and normal people as "sticks") that are free and weigh 0g in my pack. Some people don't like to look for toggles though, or they don't have an abundance of these "sticks" like us east coasters. All I can do is point out the fact that a hollow tube is stronger for its weight than a solid one. People have to figure out the rest for them selves and then go have fun.

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123