Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Quickest way to deploy the tarp?

Hi all,
    I'm trying to figure out what the quickest way to deploy my tarp (mac cat from Speer I think? It's definately from Speer) is. It's always the biggest fiddle factor to me. Would snake skins be the way to go? And also, do you have to tie knots or are some of ya'll using something else that works quicker and easier to adjust if need be? I'm using it on multi-day bikepacking trips where I'm very exhausted by the end of the day and just want to get set-up and lay down.

Thanks!

I use figure 9s. I'm way too lazy to bother with knots and I'm definitely not a gram weenie.

http://www.rei.com/product/784218

Boris

edit: oh yeah, and I just stuff the tarp into the stretchy mesh outside pocket of my pack. I used to use snakeskins, but they were too small and the tarp ended up being an almost rigid tube that was impossible to pack easily.
    Last edited by Boris Losdindawoods; 08-06-2010 at 10:14.

Oak Ridge & Linville Gorge, North Carolina
    Hammock
    HHE, 2QZQ Mod4, Jerry 5 DIY
    Tarp
    HG Cuben/SFly Camo
    Insulation
    HammockGear Prod.
    Suspension
    Use them all!
    Images
    You'll get a lot of replies to this ... and do some searching in the forums ... previously a lot of discussions on this subject. Me personally I've gone to skins I made from mesh ... loose tube so that once it's secured it's flexible to cram in the outside of my pack. I also have a loose mesh bag I pack it in initially just to keep things neat.

If you use tight fitting skins or a Black bishop bag ... it just is less "flexible" to pack it in my way of doing things. Loose fitting and it conforms to the place I pack it better and I get better utilization of space. YMMV

And I use a one piece ridgeline similar to OPIE's and Paul's at AHE. That works great for quick set up

WARNING: Will discuss Rhurbarb Strawberry Pie and Livermush at random.

"A democracy is two wolves and a small lamb voting on what to have for dinner.
    Freedom under a constitutional republic is a well armed lamb contesting the vote." ... B.Franklin

Home of the Gorge Rats: Linville Gorge
    My Videos YouTube Channel
    Photo collections Flickr Photostream

Gorge Rat Productions On FaceBook

Hammock
    Blackbird
    Tarp
    MacCat Standard
    Insulation
    Winter Yeti, MWUQ4
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    MacCats are made by Brian from Outdoor Equipment Supplier. Speer tarps are made by Ed Speer of Speer Hammocks (now consolidated with Tree to Tree Trail Gear). If yours is cat cut, it's probably either the 8x10 cat or the Speer Winter Tarp.

Skins are a quick way to do it. I usually just stuff the tarp in an outer pocket with no bag or anything...saves that step.

I use the figure-9s, too...saves tying a knot. Just make sure you know how to tie knots in case your figure-9s break or fall off.
    “Republics are created by the virtue, public spirit, and intelligence of the citizens. They fall when the wise are banished from the public councils because they dare to be honest, and the profligate are rewarded because they flatter the people, in order to betray them.” ~Judge Joseph Story

- My site: http://www.tothewoods.net/
    - Designer, Jeff's Gear Hammock / Pack Cover by JRB

IMPOSSIBLE JUST TAKES LONGER

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 Trpl
    Tarp
    ZPacks Cuben
    Insulation
    GoLite Ultra 20
    Suspension
    1/8" Whoopie Sling
    Images
    Check out Shug's videos as well for options.

Me - I use (just switched actually) a continuous ridgeline with the Figure 9s attached to prussiks mentioned above. Very nice setup from what I've seen so far. For my guylines, I use Kelty triptease with a taut line hitch at the end. Makes it easy to adjust the length to what I want and reduces overall weight.

I'm fine with tying the knots for the fly, it's just kind of a pain in the morning to untie them when my hands feel like frozen meat sticks. I've never used the figure 9's. I'll pick some up and give them a try. Weight and space are vital to me. Just not a lot of space on the bike. I'm not using panniers but more of a large seat pack and small handlebar bag. Are the Henessy Hammock Snakeskins descent or not? Reason I'm asking is because I've come across a few mornings where my rain fly is very damp and I don't really want to take the time to dry it out, meaning I'm stuffing a we fly into a sack and it never seems to fit as well when it's wet!!!

PS. The tarp is for sure from Speer. It's not a winter tarp so I guess it's an 8x10 with a cat cut. That sounds about right.

Hammock
    HH Explorer ASYM
    Tarp
    Chinook
    Suspension
    WS, huggers, toggs
    +1 on the mesh skins. I'd also check this out http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/s...ad.php?t=16945

I personally use a rolling hitch (taut-line hitch) to pitch my tarp RL. It's pretty easy to tie and easy to learn. Also, for my tie-outs and stakes I larks head the tie-out lines to the tarp, but you can use a bowline or just about any other knot for that, and just leave them on the tarp. For the stakes, I use a Marlin Spike Hitch (Thanks for that tip Shug), easy to tie and adjust.
    ~We all start at the bottom~

Where can I find Shug's videos?

Hammock
    DIY gathered end / WL Snipe
    Tarp
    DIY 8x10 sil/ M.O.
    Insulation
    DIY UQ/ 20*Pheonix
    Suspension
    DIYwhoopie slings
    +1 on the 9's, also shock corded dog bones on the guy-outs,,, your done..

http://www.youtube.com/user/shugemery

While watching, don't drink anything that will hurt when it comes out your nose.

Boris

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast