Review my set-up please...

Ok, this is for 3 season camping with possible temps as low as 32ish degrees in the Colorado Mtns.

Homemade hammock with carabiners/buckles for quick set-up. Have Whoopie slings but haven't figured out how to use them just yet. ***Need to buy some new webbing, looking for where I can buy the lightest webbing)

Speer tarp. I think it's an 8x10? I've had it for 3 years know so I don't even remember. ***Looking to maybe get snake skins for quick deployment?

Tee Wa top quilt, I think it'll get me to 32 degrees.

Tee Wa 2/3 UQ

Small GG Evozote 1/4" pad for sitting and putting under my back or feet of they get cold at night

cheap stakes ***looking for some lighter stakes that are easy to pull out of the ground in the morning.

What mod's do ya'll see that could be made?

Thanks for the time. Getting ready for some big trips and just going over my gear that I've used in the past.

Hammock
    DIY gathered end / WL Snipe
    Tarp
    DIY 8x10 sil/ M.O.
    Insulation
    DIY UQ/ 20*Pheonix
    Suspension
    DIYwhoopie slings
    Arrowhead Equipment "AHE" has some good straps, DIY or ready made. Paul has great service too.

Hammock
    not quite eno..
    Tarp
    10x12 DIY
    Insulation
    insultex+momentum
    Suspension
    DIY whoopie slings
    Images
    also check strapworks- many, many options available for customization; reasonable price, and decent ship times.
    I hear only good things about Paul, but this is where I got mine.(before he got into straps I think...) KM

Hammock
    Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    I've not used any of the Te-wa stuff, so I can't really say for sure. However, most 3-season gear will get you into the low 30s out here because of the lack of humidity. Might be one of those borderline situations where you'll have to boost with a warm water bottle or something, but not undoable. I'd probably consider a full length pad as a backup plan because temps can be very dynamic in the mountains. A 30 or 40 degree temp difference between day and night is not uncommon at all and storms can come right out of the blue. Good sight selection and your tarp will go a long ways out here, but it's always better to be prepared for weather 20 degrees cooler than you think it will be. Speaking from the voice of experience here.

I really like the MSR Groundhogs in the terrain out here. They call em the Rocky Mtns. for good reason, but what dirt is here on the surface, is usually loose. The Groundhogs offer the best middle-ground I've found yet. The knock-off ones will work just as well, probably just won't last as long.

Sooooo, where you headed out here?
    Trust nobody!

I'll be attempting to through ride the Colorado Trail (2nd attempt). Also have a 4 day training ride in the Ouachita/Womble area in October.

Oak Ridge & Linville Gorge, North Carolina
    Hammock
    HHE, 2QZQ Mod4, Jerry 5 DIY
    Tarp
    HG Cuben/SFly Camo
    Insulation
    HammockGear Prod.
    Suspension
    Use them all!
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by KerMegan View Post
    also check strapworks- many, many options available for customization; reasonable price, and decent ship times.
    I hear only good things about Paul, but this is where I got mine.(before he got into straps I think...) KM
    Strapworks is good ... but Paul's are lighter and besides ... he's a good guy with great customer service.

Use to buy mine at Strapworks before I got some from Paul. Now I've switched all of mine to AHE straps.

WARNING: Will discuss Rhurbarb Strawberry Pie and Livermush at random.

"A democracy is two wolves and a small lamb voting on what to have for dinner.
    Freedom under a constitutional republic is a well armed lamb contesting the vote." ... B.Franklin

Home of the Gorge Rats: Linville Gorge
    My Videos YouTube Channel
    Photo collections Flickr Photostream

Gorge Rat Productions On FaceBook

• + New Posts