Tarp
    MacCat Standard
    Insulation
    Winter Yeti, MWUQ4
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images

Interesting info in Whiteblaze hammock archives

This is a link to Whiteblaze's hammock subforum, starting with the first threads to be posted there in Sept 2002. The interesting thing is that many of the topics asked here daily were being asked, and answered, back then. And for the most part, the answers haven't changed. There's some really good historical info in WB's archives!

http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/foru...c&daysprune=-1

"What if there aren't any trees?" You find some, or don't hang from trees.

"Can I use a thermarest in a hammock?" Yes.

"What if I want to sleep on the ground?" You sleep on the ground. Hope you have a pad. Use your tarp as...you guessed it...a tarp. Hammock can be used as a bug bivy.

"What if I want to snuggle with my girlfriend?" Put her in the hammock with you. Probably won't be comfortable.

"Will I be cold if..." Bottom insulation required below about 70F.

"How do I tie this knot?" (That one was from MedicineMan!) Like this...(followed by long explanation by SGT Rock.)

"Can I hammock the PCT?" Most of it. Hardest part is the desert and above treeline. (As should be expected...see question #1)

Pan's thread that led to their underquilt line is on page 2, posted 2-22-2004.

"It seems so complicated compared to X. Isn't all that stuff heavy?" Sometimes. But not many people actually sleep on a 1/4" torso-sized CCF pad, so compare accurate weights.

"Can I use a poncho liner?" Yes.

Lots of others. Here's an interesting post...some things have been bypassed by technology, and others are still valid.

Quote Originally Posted by hotelseven, 9-29-2004
    Hello all...just thought Id post a couple things that I do with my Hennessy Hammock, to make life in a hammock a tad bit easier....

1. I have placed a wrap of silver duct tape on the "foot" end of the hammock main line. Since I have snakeskins for the hammock, this allows me to determine right away (without unravelling the snakeskins) which end of the hammock is which.

2. I use 2 small carabiners hung inside the hammock on the ridge line. This allows me to hang my flashlight(s), socks, etc and easilly unhook them, or slide them up and down the ridgeline. The hammock comes with 2 clasps but I find they are too small to work properly.

3. I purchased an oversized Hex shaped fly for the hammock. The fly is made by Hennessy and fits on any of the hammocks. It is considerably larger than the standard fly that comes with the hammock (Expedition Asym Model). It allows enough room underneath to sit, stand, cook, change, etc. It also fits inside the snakeskins so I dont have to take the tarp off to wrap up the hammock in the skins.

4. I replaced all of the guy-lines on the fly with reflective guy-lines (bought 50 feet for 5 bucks). I was always walking into the guy-lines and pulling them out of the ground, especially at night.

5. I bought 2 expandable poles (10 bucks each) that allow me to raise one side or the center of each side of the fly. It provides a better view out of the hammock and creates a sort of awning.

6. I measured the exact center of the hammock and marked it with a wrap of silver duct tape. I then placed a line level on that mark so I can determine right away if the hammock is level or not. I leave the level on the hammock, even when I wrap it up in the snakeskins.

7. I have tied a prusic knot on the end of each side of the hammock (main line). This allows me to hang a carabiner or two from each knot, and hang all my gear. I can slide the knot up or down the mainline, and either underneath or outside of the fly.

8. The Hex fly I purchased has a number of tie-out points on it. It makes it difficult to find which loop goes where. I colour coded the 2 main tie-outs with...you guessed it....silver duct tape. This allows me to quickly find the points of the fly that I need to attach to the fly-tensioners.

9. I have pre-tied several knots in the shock-corded anti-sway lines from the hammock. This allows me to quickly adjust the angle at which I stake out the lines (making the hammock fuller, or more swayish- if that is a word...)

10. I use a small piece of an old plastic tarp as a ground cover underneath the hammock. It is about 2 feet by 2 feet and provides just enough room to stand on and get in and out of the hammock.

These are all things that took no more than about 15 minutes total to put together. I personally find that they all make the hammock experience even more enjoyable and easy.

Just thought I'd share....

Enjoy!
    And just for giggles, here's my first post of 3975, in March 2005. I was active on TrailJournals and a couple others before finding WB.

Quote Originally Posted by Just Jeff
    Check Ed Speer's product page. I just got 30yds of 1" Polypro webbing for $20, including shipping.

Used it for the first time two nights ago...it stretches a bit when it's new, but doesn't pop back to its original length the way nylon does, so when you get it all stretched out it stays there. The hammock fabric does that when it's new, too.

FWIW, I spent less than 5 minutes sewing the loops in the end of both 10' straps. Less bulky than the knots (and less weight if you're counting .10's of ounces, but I'm not). I use the overhand knots in my Spectra so I can move the cord to other hammocks easily, though.

Jeff
    “Republics are created by the virtue, public spirit, and intelligence of the citizens. They fall when the wise are banished from the public councils because they dare to be honest, and the profligate are rewarded because they flatter the people, in order to betray them.” ~Judge Joseph Story

- My site: http://www.tothewoods.net/
    - Designer, Jeff's Gear Hammock / Pack Cover by JRB

IMPOSSIBLE JUST TAKES LONGER

Hammock
    Traveler with HNO AirShip
    Tarp
    HNO AirShip
    Insulation
    Leiglo 5/50
    Suspension
    Everything Dutch
    Images

history---cool

I had to laugh looking at my posts from way back then...had even forgotten I used the Golite Cave over the hammmock. Wondering where that tarp is now!

Hammock
    Blackbird
    Tarp
    MacCat Standard
    Insulation
    Winter Yeti, MWUQ4
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    I think I used to have a picture of that on my website. It was someone's Cave over the hammock, and one of the Gatewood cape. That was before tarp doors and all that.
    “Republics are created by the virtue, public spirit, and intelligence of the citizens. They fall when the wise are banished from the public councils because they dare to be honest, and the profligate are rewarded because they flatter the people, in order to betray them.” ~Judge Joseph Story

- My site: http://www.tothewoods.net/
    - Designer, Jeff's Gear Hammock / Pack Cover by JRB

IMPOSSIBLE JUST TAKES LONGER

• + New Posts