ZHammock inspired 2x layer 1.9oz
    Tarp
    12' GG or 9' Tyvek
    Insulation
    sleeping bag UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    1" webbing

good for heavy duty hammock?

I'm looking to make my first hammock (probably a gathered end) but need to think carefully about materials since I'm 6'1" and 325#. It'll be used one weekend campout per month year-round in Florida so I want it to hold up but also be compact and light enough to carry for regular hiking and canoeing trips (I'm a scoutmaster). I've been using a fairly bulky 8'x8' tent for years that I've never weighed but would guess comes in at 8# or so.

What are your fabric recommendations? I've been leaning toward something along the following lines but don't know if it's overkill or not, especially since I estimate finished weight to be about 5# (18oz/yd x 4yds + rope/etc.):

White Widow Spectra Ripstop - "This is a 500 denier nylon with a Spectra carbon filter ripstop reinforcement woven into the fabric. Superior strength while still very light weight. Perfect for projects that need to be strong and light at the same time. The white carbon fiber ripstop grid gives this fabric a unique look and an ample coating makes it nice and waterproof."

Hammock
    Double layer DIY
    Tarp
    11 x 10 Sil DIY
    Insulation
    DIY Climashield
    Suspension
    webbing and rings
    This is suggested from Ed Speer from Speer Hammocks

"If you are between 250 and 350 pounds: use Supplex in 2.5 to 3.5 oz/yd2 weights and 1"-wide polypropylene or polyester webbing straps"

Hope this helps you on the right track.
    I have two doctors, my left leg and my right. ~G.M. Trevelyan

Everywhere is walking distance if you have the time. ~Steven Wright

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 DBL
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    Sleeping BearTQ/UQ
    Suspension
    Straps and Slings
    Images
    I actually use a 1 layer of 1.9oz ripstop nylon from joanns and I am 6'1" and 280. But for you, you shouldn't have any problem with doing a double layer with the same material or if your ordering it, double layer of the 1.7oz nylon.

Hammock
    Hennessey Explorer Ultralight
    Tarp
    Hennessey Hex
    Insulation
    HH Super Shelter
    Suspension
    ring buckle
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by sigma_pete View Post
    don't know if it's overkill or not, especially since I estimate finished weight to be about 5# (18oz/yd x 4yds + rope/etc.):
    1) IMO it is extreme overkill. 500 D is what they make durable packs out of. The previous post giving the supplex figures is more than ample. If you can't find supplex and don't want to order it.. a good nylon taffeta would be good. Probably about a 210 D or there abouts.

2) in an area of high humidity you don't want a waterproof hammock. You need something that will breathe easily. So a coated material is inadvisable.
    I may be slow... But I sure am gimpy.

"Bless you child, when you set out to thread a needle don't hold the thread still and fetch the needle up to it; hold the needle still and poke the thread at it; that's the way a woman most always does, but a man always does t'other way."
    Mrs. Loftus to Huck Finn

We Don't Sew... We Make Gear! video series

Important thread injector guidelines especially for Newbies

Bobbin Tension - A Personal Viewpoint

Hammock
    Tarp
    12' GG or 9' Tyvek
    Insulation
    sleeping bag UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    1" webbing
    Quote Originally Posted by Dblcorona View Post
    I actually use a 1 layer of 1.9oz ripstop nylon from joanns and I am 6'1" and 280. But for you, you shouldn't have any problem with doing a double layer with the same material or if your ordering it, double layer of the 1.7oz nylon.
    Should I sew the double layers together (e.g., a criss-cross pattern throughout like a bedspread) or just leave an open pocket? I've been kicking doubled ripstop from Joann's too. My son's making a school backpack from some that we picked up with a 50% off coupon.

This might be a dumb question but which would be more durable? (making up weights here but you'll get the idea...) A double layer of 1.9 or a single layer 3.8 ripstop?

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 DBL
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    Sleeping BearTQ/UQ
    Suspension
    Straps and Slings
    Images
    I think a double layer of 1.9 is more usable. Just sew the ends and 1 side edges together. Then you can put a pad in between as an insulation.

Hammock
    Double layer DIY
    Tarp
    11 x 10 Sil DIY
    Insulation
    DIY Climashield
    Suspension
    webbing and rings
    With a double layer, the key is to make sure that the dimensions of are the same for both pieces. That way, there is equal tensions and pressures on both pieces (ie. one layer is not overstressed) thus minimizing the risk of failure. The Warbonnet Blackbird double layer in 1.7 oz. is rated for 375 pounds.
    I have two doctors, my left leg and my right. ~G.M. Trevelyan

Everywhere is walking distance if you have the time. ~Steven Wright

Buy one. they are cheap enough and you would be supporting a cottage industry. made in the USA.

Hammock
    Tarp
    12' GG or 9' Tyvek
    Insulation
    sleeping bag UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    1" webbing
    I decided to go with a gathered end made from double layer 1.9 ripstop nylon bought at Joanns and 3/16" 1200# Sta-Set rope bought at West Marine. I went with 11.5' raw material length, so it's 11'+/- finished. I set it up in the back yard for a test run today and it's way more comfortable than the net hammock that I've been using. I'll be camping with the scouts next weekend, so it'll get it first real use then (I'll take pics and post them after getting back). For now, the ridge line is over-sized with taught line knots at each end so that I get play with the length if needed to get it right before cutting and attaching permanently.

I also picked up 108" wide tulle so I can make a quarter weighted bug net but I probably won't get it done before the camp out (plus the temperature's started to drop so bugs may not be a problem) so I'll just use my camp cot bug net that I've been using with the net hammock if needed.

Assuming all goes well with the new setup, next up will be to figure out what fabric to use to make a quieter replacement for the 9'x9' tyvek tarp that I've been using.

When all said and done, I don't think I'll be significantly smaller/lighter than the tent setup like I thought I would be but I estimate it should come in somewhere around 1/2 - 2/3 of the weight and size. The double layer, added a lot of bulk but I'd rather have the extra safety margin and durability that it should provide.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 DBL
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    Sleeping BearTQ/UQ
    Suspension
    Straps and Slings
    Images
    That sounds good. Your best bet for a tarp is going to be silnylon. Though it can be a bit of a pain to work with because of the slippery surface. But a tarp shouldn't be more than about 14oz. Or you could save yourself some time a look at the big mamajamba from warbonnet or a deluxe from oes.
    "We don't stop hiking because we grow old,
    we grow old because we stop hiking."

-- Finis Mitchell,

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast