Tarp
    DD XL with doors
    Insulation
    SMR inferno UQ
    Suspension
    Daisy Chains
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by jeepcachr View Post
    If your not car camping then space is usually at a premium. Make sure you ask how small it packs down. Down usually packs a lot smaller than the synthetics.
    True Jeepcachr, but down also loses much of its loft after being compressed a number of times where as some synthetics like the stuff in the Wiggy's bags does not. I own a number of his bags and have had them for about ten years. They are great. You can even wash them, in fact it is recommended and they pack down pretty small. I have emailed Wiggy for some details on the underquilt and will share them when I get them.

I am not really a SUL camper so a few extra ounces and a bit bigger in size are second to me to durability and function.

Hammock
    DIY,WBBB,DutchBridge
    Tarp
    Cuben,Superfly
    Insulation
    Quilts :P
    Suspension
    Dutchware
    Quote Originally Posted by ShroominDave View Post
    True Jeepcachr, but down also loses much of its loft after being compressed a number of times where as some synthetics like the stuff in the Wiggy's bags does not. I own a number of his bags and have had them for about ten years. They are great. You can even wash them, in fact it is recommended and they pack down pretty small. I have emailed Wiggy for some details on the underquilt and will share them when I get them.

I am not really a SUL camper so a few extra ounces and a bit bigger in size are second to me to durability and function.
    i'm alittle lost on this one ?
    i think you got your facts crossed?
    but down holds it's loft better then any synth .....synth over use and being "stuffed" many of times will loose loft ...
    yes Synth will work better wet...but down will keep it's loft longer...and if your down quilt/bag starts to loose loft...wash it...it will bring it back to life again
    It puts the Underquilt on it's hammock ... It does this whenever it gets cold

Hammock
    Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    Much of that depends on how both materials are cared for by the owner. Regardless, this is one of those topics with lots of opinions and not really what the OP is asking. Feel free to start another thread comparing the merits of different insulation systems.
    Trust nobody!

Hammock
    DreamHammock Sparrow Symmetrical
    Tarp
    DD XL with doors
    Insulation
    SMR inferno UQ
    Suspension
    Daisy Chains
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by greenlespaul View Post
    i'm alittle lost on this one ?
    i think you got your facts crossed?
    but down holds it's loft better then any synth .....synth over use and being "stuffed" many of times will loose loft ...
    yes Synth will work better wet...but down will keep it's loft longer...and if your down quilt/bag starts to loose loft...wash it...it will bring it back to life again
    from experience I will never go back to down. My down bas and clothing always have flattened over time. My Wiggy's I have put through torture and store it in a compression sak. Have had it for ten years (4 bags) and none have lost loft. I agree with you about other synthetic ins. Not sure why this is better but you should check out the wiggys.com website.
    This stuff also works when wet and dries super fast.
    BTW I used to be a huge fan of down - IMO it was the best for warmth until I found this other stuff.

Hammock
    Blackbird
    Tarp
    MacCat Standard
    Insulation
    Winter Yeti, MWUQ4
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Dave - Wiggys design is based off of an HF vendors' design. The vendor sent him a prototype, and Wiggy thought he knew a better way and wouldn't follow the prototype's design, so this vendor decided not to let Wiggy manufacture it. Simply put, Wiggy makes great sleeping bags but didn't understand the different application of a hammock underquilt, and his design was much less effective than the prototype.

He's a great guy, and I have several of his products. They're awesome for what they're designed for. But I'd stick with hammock gear makers when buying hammock gear.

Buy right or buy twice.

If price is an issue, check out the Kickass Quilts...they're synthetic quilts with a much better design that are about in that same price range.
    “Republics are created by the virtue, public spirit, and intelligence of the citizens. They fall when the wise are banished from the public councils because they dare to be honest, and the profligate are rewarded because they flatter the people, in order to betray them.” ~Judge Joseph Story

- My site: http://www.tothewoods.net/
    - Designer, Jeff's Gear Hammock / Pack Cover by JRB

IMPOSSIBLE JUST TAKES LONGER

Hammock
    DreamHammock Sparrow Symmetrical
    Tarp
    DD XL with doors
    Insulation
    SMR inferno UQ
    Suspension
    Daisy Chains
    Images
    Jeff - man thanks for the info. Yea I LOVE his sleeping bags or rather the insulation he uses. He calls it lamilite but you know I have been looking on the web at climashield and it sounds like it is very similar if not the same. I totally agree with the buy right or buy twice motto and don't want to make that mistake.Do you know the prototype vendors contact info?
    Do you have any info on the climashield product. And sorry to all this has strayed way off the topic.

Jeff maybe you can PM?????

Hammock
    Blackbird
    Tarp
    MacCat Standard
    Insulation
    Winter Yeti, MWUQ4
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    I don't think he ever posted about it so he may not want it public. Like I said, if you want a synthetic UQ then check out the Kickass line.
    http://arrowheadequipment.webs.com/kickassquilts.htm
    “Republics are created by the virtue, public spirit, and intelligence of the citizens. They fall when the wise are banished from the public councils because they dare to be honest, and the profligate are rewarded because they flatter the people, in order to betray them.” ~Judge Joseph Story

- My site: http://www.tothewoods.net/
    - Designer, Jeff's Gear Hammock / Pack Cover by JRB

IMPOSSIBLE JUST TAKES LONGER

Hammock
    Homemade
    Tarp
    TBD
    Insulation
    Rab Quantum
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images
    I'm late to this post but wanted to mention that I own both a Leigh's summer UQ and a AHE KAQ. they are both great pieces of gear at good pricing.
    Leigh's is down filled and smaller/lighter, but only 2/3 length. Awesome superlight 3 season quilt! (I used it at last year's Fall Northern Hang at temps down to 21° with stout winds and was fine with good clothing layers)
    My KAQ is synthetic, full coverage and warmer than the summer UQ. I like this when I know it's going to be wet rainy weather.

Which one I use depends on situation, but if I had to pick only one it'd be the KAQ for it's greater range of use.
    "I know the feeling - It is the real thing - You can't refuse the embrace!" | "Go n-éirí an bóthar leat."

Hammock
    HH
    Images
    Is the Hennessy Super Shelter worth buying? How cold can it get down to and still keep me warm?

Quote Originally Posted by Peter_pan View Post
    Look for a Used JRB Nest... State of the Art Standard for HH.....

Pan
    That's a fact.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast