BMBH / WB Traveler
    Tarp
    Depends
    Insulation
    GH Incub/JRB Sniv
    Suspension
    1" webbing

Ordered HHSS Thx everyone

I really didn't want to lay out the xtra cash for another HH in the Explorer or Deep Jungle XL style although I understand BillyBobs comment that I'm stretching the comfort zone of the Expedition at 250lbs. Hopefully I can lose some weight

Maybe the BBWB or the HHDJ XL will be in my future but for now I think my HH Expedition with the HHSS and 2QZQ zipper upgrades gives me a rig I can be comfortable with without breaking the bank. I really like the idea of having both top & bottom entry/exits. This should give me enough to last till winter at which time I can get the JRB Nest and have a comfortable, flexible system.

Thanks everyone, I really appreciated all the input. It helped clarify my thoughts and make a decision.

Hammock
    HH Hyperlite & WBBB 1.0 Double
    Insulation
    Crowsnest/No Snive
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Swingblade View Post
    Maybe the BBWB or the HHDJ XL will be in my future but for now I think my HH Expedition with the HHSS and 2QZQ zipper upgrades gives me a rig I can be comfortable with without breaking the bank. I really like the idea of having both top & bottom entry/exits. This should give me enough to last till winter at which time I can get the JRB Nest and have a comfortable, flexible system.

Had I not gotten a WBBB, this would have been my route. Pads still work until you get the nest.

I think you'll be happy with this.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Swingblade View Post
    WOW, great write up BillyBob. Very informative.
    You are very welcome! I hope all of these responses from everyone will be of some help to you. I can relate to you hating to spend more money to correct the things you don't like.

EDIT: OH OK, I see you are sticking with what you have and adding a SS! All righty then, that should work, warmth wise. And a good approach price wise and considering you are real comfy in your hammock. I hope it does you right, some love 'em, some are neutral and some hate 'em. You might want to search here for older threads on SS use, pros and cons. There's about a million of them!

There is a wide range of responses to the old HHSS. Though it may not be my absolute favorite, I've still always been kind of fond of mine, after learning to use it. Which really is not hard, just follow directions and then experiment some. My favorite things about it are custom fit, fairly low cost and the built in wind and rain protection which is part of the system. If I were you, I'd pay attention to to the part of the directions that says to use a $3 space blanket ( or a Heat Sheet for more quality) on top of the pad, especially below 50F. Otherwise condensation may really be a problem. Have fun!
    Last edited by BillyBob58; 08-09-2010 at 20:21.

Hammock
    HH, CJH NX-250, WBBB 1.7 dbl
    Tarp
    Std, Hex, or WBSF
    Insulation
    Burrows&Incubators
    Suspension
    Poly web w/AHE buc

I will most probably get the zipper mod

for my Elplorer Dlx this winter. Just so I can open the netting.

I am apparently in the minority, but I actually like the bottom entrance! I have found that it works MUCH better if the HH is not pitched too tightly. A 30deg angle of the suspension lines to horizontal works well, and as a bonus seems to make the diagonal lie easier.

I have the SuperShelter, and I am not overly happy with it. exiting the hammock means getting your feet through three openings, not easy to do when nature calls and even harder when one has a leg cramp! But with a zip mod it might work better. I lust for a Nest.

Jim

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Jsaults View Post
    for my Elplorer Dlx this winter. Just so I can open the netting.

I am apparently in the minority, but I actually like the bottom entrance! I have found that it works MUCH better if the HH is not pitched too tightly. A 30deg angle of the suspension lines to horizontal works well, and as a bonus seems to make the diagonal lie easier.
    Sometimes I kind of like it also. But I can see the benefits of side entry as well. Ramblin Rev certainly favors it, but I don't know if it's because he actually prefers it or because he has to use it do to disabilities.

I have the SuperShelter, and I am not overly happy with it. exiting the hammock means getting your feet through three openings, not easy to do when nature calls and even harder when one has a leg cramp! But with a zip mod it might work better. I lust for a Nest.

Jim
    Has the SS kept you warm?

You would not believe the blinding speed with which I can exit that HH with SS if needed! Just wiggle one foot out past the 1st layer, by the edge of the pad and then the UC layer, follow with the other foot, sit up and drop out. All done by feel in a second or 2, and very easy to do after I had spent a couple of weeks in it. I really don't think I can unzip a hammock and put my legs over the side any faster. And without the SS, even faster.

Using the bottom entry with any other UQ should not really be any faster, though maybe a tad because the pad is not part of the system. So, only 2 "layers" to get past rather than 3. But having a zip mod is of course great. For getting in and out for most folks, but also for reaching out and adjusting UQs or SSs, or stuffing a jacket or something down into the SS for extra warmth.

Hammock
    Tarp
    Std, Hex, or WBSF
    Insulation
    Burrows&Incubators
    Suspension
    Poly web w/AHE buc

Yes, the SSdoes keep me warm.

In fact I estimate that the UnderCover alone is good for another 10 degrees (but I am a warm sleeper).

I will need to re-evaluate the SS as I have not used it since I "discovered" the benefits of a slack hang. Heck, I was pitching my HH so tightly that even getting a foot through the velcro was difficult!

Jim

Hammock
    HH Expedition
    Tarp
    Winter Dream v.2
    Insulation
    KAQ Potomac
    Suspension
    Whoopie hook
    Images
    >>I will need to re-evaluate the SS as I have not used it since I "discovered" the benefits of a slack hang. Heck, I was pitching my HH so tightly that even getting a foot through the velcro was difficult!<<

Jim, I think I'm still making this rookie mistake!

Swingblade, don;t forget to look at Kick *** Quilt's Potomac Quilt. It's designed for HH. Although it doesn't have a slot for the bottom entry it still easy to get in and out. And it's a lot less expensive than a nest and should serve you well in AZ.

Regarding your midnight trip when nature calls, mine happens around 3:00 actually, I nad several others keep a pee bottle in the hamock. I use a Gatorade or Vitamin water bottle. I have a carabiner with an adjustable cord attached that's meant for clipping water bottles to your pants/pack that I hang from the ridge line. This keeps it within easy reach but out of the way when I'm done.

Bill

Hammock
    Dutch netless 9ft
    Tarp
    Zpack cuben
    Insulation
    Phoenix UQ/ JRB TQ
    Suspension
    mule tape
    "In fact I estimate that the UnderCover alone is good for another 10 degrees (but I am a warm sleeper)."

I'm a cold sleeper and I'd agree.
    "A bore is a man who deprives you of solitude without providing you with company." Gian Vincenzo Gravina (1664 - 1718)

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by CrankyOldGuy View Post
    "In fact I estimate that the UnderCover alone is good for another 10 degrees (but I am a warm sleeper)."

I'm a cold sleeper and I'd agree.
    http://www.hennessyhammock.com/wintercamping.html
    This may sound complicated but it's actually quite simple to sort out. As an example, for myself, using a 50* down bag, I find that by putting only the silnylon undercover on the hammock, my back starts to feel a chill around 55-60*
    You guys are in the ball park. Looks like TH is claiming 10-15*, assuming 70 to be the lower limit for most folks with nothing under them but the hammock. But, some folks feel 75 to be the lower limit. If TH gets cold at 75, then he is claiming 15-20*.

Hammock
    Tarp
    Std, Hex, or WBSF
    Insulation
    Burrows&amp;Incubators
    Suspension
    Poly web w/AHE buc

All this talk of temperature

makes me realize that I do not have a thermometer fob for my hammock, so I am just estimating. Some experimentation and documentation is in order!

Jim

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12