BMBH / WB Traveler
    Tarp
    Depends
    Insulation
    GH Incub/JRB Sniv
    Suspension
    1" webbing

Help pls on upgrading HH or buying new system

I posted this at new member forum also. Couldn't find rule for dbl posts so admin' pls accept my apology & delete if I'm showing bad form.

Hello everyone. Great site. I wish I had stumbled onto this site before I bought my HH Expedition Asym. While a good quality comfortable hanger, I have some complaints and after a couple trips ending up in the back of my truck I'm looking for something different. I'm only 5'9'' but come in at a wide 250lbs with major back surgery a few years ago (some restriction in movement/flexibility), no young spring chicken, have to pee 1 or more times a night (depending on fluid consumption), and am claustrophobic, hate mummy bags or confinement on any part of my body especially my feet.

I can't stand; the bottom entrance, makes UQ virtually impossible. It also makes setting up interior sleeping arrangement a frustrating exercise in futility.
    I don't like; no zippered netting or side entrance. I like options & the ability to act quickly if you know what I mean.
    I do like; quality, sleeps wide & airy, lightweight & packs small, easy set up & take down especially with snakeskins, once in & settled very comfortable (until later when it cools down, then it's miserable).

After more research & combing this forum I am looking at;
    1. Adding the HH insulation system $130. This keeps the bottom entrance & no side zipper issues but I think I can live with that as long as I'm not forced to find alternative accommodations at 2am. I can always have someone sew a zipper system in later which cures the remainder of my complaints on the HH but increases the already high cost.
    2. Buy a Warbonnet "Blackbird" DL 1.7oz $175. Only $45 dollars + cost of UQ (padding is cheap) more than choice 1. & I can sell my HH to cover some of the loss. WB seems to be the most recommended outside of the Clark but it's too pricey. I know the WB has side pulls & a semi Isometric ability to open it up some but how much more confining does it feel than the HH? That could be a deal breaker since I know the HH is airy & roomy enough for me.
    3. Mosquito "Jungle" $150. Best priced dbl layer system, I like the cammo look, has good reviews. It appears to be cocoon-ish/confining though due to no side pullouts??? As stated I hate being confined so this is probably a no go.

Any comments/suggestions appreciated. I don't have the opportunity to try anything before purchase unless someone on the forum lives in my neck of the woods and is willing to swap for a few days. Kinda flying blind here and am not keen on the prospect of spending even more money with no real improvements.
    Last edited by Swingblade; 08-08-2010 at 20:04.

Hammock
    HH Hyperlite & WBBB 1.0 Double
    Insulation
    Crowsnest/No Snive
    Images
    Have you looked at the Jacks R' Better Nest? It is designed specifically for a HH with a slit, but works on other hammocks as well. The new ones are a sage/olive color, and not the bright green that is pictured.

I think the Deep Jungle has pull outs because it was originally marketed as a double layer Hyperlite with a zipper. This wouldn't be a bad option if you don't like the bottom slit, and the JRB Nest would still work with it.

You could also modify your current hammock with 2QZQ's zipper modifications.

The HH Supershelter is good, but not as good as an underquilt. It is however less expensive.
    Last edited by Trooper; 08-08-2010 at 21:22. Reason: added 2QZQ link

Hammock
    Martian Bridge (DIY)
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images

HH Expedition Asym Side Zip

Hennessy also makes the Expedition Asym with a side zip. It is new this year. It is available direct from HH or can be had at REI. Another option for your exisiting hammock is to send it to 2QZQ for a zipper mod. They can even sew up the bottom entry.

This would give you the side zip entrance that you are after. I am about your size and choose to get a Warbonnet Blackbird DL 1.7 after messing around with an ENO doublenest clone and separate bugnet. I couldn't be happier with that purchase.

Cheers

Brian

Hammock
    BMBH / WB Traveler
    Tarp
    Depends
    Insulation
    GH Incub/JRB Sniv
    Suspension
    1" webbing

Thanks Trooper

I liked the JRB Nest but at nearly $300. I will have to wait on that. Might be a great Christmas present, I'll have to start buttering up my wife & family .

I really liked the zipper mod. Definitely gonna do that if I keep the HH.

Just occurred to me that sewing a couple heavy duty offset attachment hoops on the side of the Claytor Jungle wouldn't be difficult & would solve the cocooning issue and possibly add some isometric character to it if I was to go in that direction.

Again Thank You for the input.

Hammock
    BMBH / WB Traveler
    Tarp
    Depends
    Insulation
    GH Incub/JRB Sniv
    Suspension
    1" webbing

Thanks Brian

Yah, last time I visited the HH site to meditate on the Supershelter option & it's price I saw they now have the zippered option on several of they're hangers including the Exped'. Kinda ticked me off . since I just bought mine at the beginning of the year.

The 2QZQ system is definitely a cool deal and a lot cheaper than having to buy a new HH system.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Swingblade View Post
    I posted this at new member forum also. Couldn't find rule for dbl posts so admin' pls accept my apology & delete if I'm showing bad form.

Hello everyone. Great site. I wish I had stumbled onto this site before I bought my HH Expedition Asym. While a good quality comfortable hanger, I have some complaints and after a couple trips ending up in the back of my truck I'm looking for something different. I'm only 5'9'' but come in at a wide 250lbs with major back surgery a few years ago (some restriction in movement/flexibility), no young spring chicken, have to pee 1 or more times a night (depending on fluid consumption), and am claustrophobic, hate mummy bags or confinement on any part of my body especially my feet.

I can't stand; the bottom entrance, makes UQ virtually impossible. It also makes setting up interior sleeping arrangement a frustrating exercise in futility.
    Sorry to hear all that is driving you crazy, but you are not the 1st! I can't really relate, though I do like to be able to reach out and adjust UQs and such, but once I was in I never had any trouble "setting up interior sleeping arrangement". Once I was in, with various items in stuff sacks tied to the RL above me( or in the little organizer) or tied to the loops on each end of the RL, I was always pretty set.

I don't like; no zippered netting or side entrance. I like options & the ability to act quickly if you know what I mean.
    And after some initial learning curve, I could be in and out of that thing in a flash. Even with the HH Super Shelter(HHSS) on it. Believe it or not, I really don't think I can get in or out of any of my side entry models any faster, especially if they have netting. Really. But I do prefer being able to reach out for what ever reasons.

I do like; quality, sleeps wide & airy, lightweight & packs small, easy set up & take down especially with snakeskins, once in & settled very comfortable (until later when it cools down, then it's miserable).

After more research & combing this forum I am looking at;
    1. Adding the HH insulation system $130. This keeps the bottom entrance & no side zipper issues but I think I can live with that as long as I'm not forced to find alternative accommodations at 2am. I can always have someone sew a zipper system in later which cures the remainder of my complaints on the HH but increases the already high cost.
    That (HHSS?) has been a good way to go for me and some others here. Some folks hate it, but it has always kept me warm enough with in it's advertised limits. And it is as comfortable as any other UQ. It has it's pros and cons though.

2. Buy a Warbonnet "Blackbird" DL 1.7oz $175. Only $45 dollars + cost of UQ (padding is cheap) more than choice 1. & I can sell my HH to cover some of the loss. WB seems to be the most recommended outside of the Clark but it's too pricey. I know the WB has side pulls & a semi Isometric ability to open it up some but how much more confining does it feel than the HH? That could be a deal breaker since I know the HH is airy & roomy enough for me.
    I really doubt you will have any roominess problems in the BB. First of all, I would be in a roomier HH ( like an Explorer or even Safari at the extreme) at 250 lbs, even if you are only 5"9". Particularly as you like a lot of room. But the WB is as or more roomy than even the Explorer model HH, and I'm pretty sure it would seem even more roomy and airy than your Expedition.

3. Mosquito "Jungle" $150. Best priced dbl layer system, I like the cammo look, has good reviews. It appears to be cocoon-ish/confining though due to no side pullouts??? As stated I hate being confined so this is probably a no go.
    That is a great hammock. Though it is not very wide compared to the other hammocks you are comparing it to, that also has it's pros and cons. A more narrow hammock will not come up around your shoulders, or sink you down into a bath tub, like some wider hammocks might do. But I think, considering your claustrophobia, I would go with the BB or a larger HH, maybe with a zip mod, or a large HH with zipper like the Deep Jungle XL, or Explorer UL with zip. And a Safari is HUGE and way comfy, but no zip. I think you can get a zip mod? It's not quite as heavy as the specs seem, because the spec weight includes a large, 25 oz 70D PU coated tarp. Can you exchange that HH for a larger one? If you are comfy and the room is adequate, can you just get a zip mod from 2Q?

But whatever you do, you will still freeze until you either add a pad ( double layer recommended, or a Speer SPE if you can still get one), OR add an UQ OR add a SS, and learn how to use them. Not hard to learn, but put them on wrong and you will still be cold. A pad inside the HH Expedition, with no SPE, can be a real challenge to stay on for many people.

Good luck on finding what is right for you!

Hammock
    HH Explorer Deluxe 2Q's MOD 3
    Tarp
    Large HH Tarp
    Insulation
    XL 3in self inflat
    Suspension
    Whoopiesling/strap
    I love my HH
    It has a 2QZQ mod #3
    Look into it and you'll be pleased. The HH is a mighty fine piece of kit
    Tom

Hammock
    BMBH / WB Traveler
    Tarp
    Depends
    Insulation
    GH Incub/JRB Sniv
    Suspension
    1" webbing

Thanks BillyBob

WOW, great write up BillyBob. Very informative.

New Member anthonysaudiojournal's Avatar
    Hammock
    Hennessy Exped Assym/ ENO Dbl
    Insulation
    Crowsnest/DIY SPE
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images

I had a similar setup

I had the HH Exped Assym and the same complaints so this is what I did. I bought a Eno Doublenest on sale at REI and tried out the top loading feature. I discovered I liked it but the Eno wasn't as comfortable as the HH. I got the 2QZQ Mod #2 and loved it. Now I ordered a Crowsnest UQ and I think that combo will be what I'm looking for, top loading, opportunity to go net free and I can either use the SPE type pad extender or my UQ. Don't give up on the HH. It's still a great hammock and it's plenty roomy for me.

Hammock
    HH Hyperlite & WBBB 1.0 Double
    Insulation
    Crowsnest/No Snive
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Swingblade View Post
    WOW, great write up BillyBob. Very informative.
    Billybob delivers nothing but excellence.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast