Thread: The new guy

Hammock
    Built by ME

The new guy

Hello all,

I never would have thought I would be interested in "Hangin". I happened on to HF by accident kind of and I love the thought so much I have started gathering ideas for my first hammock. I have some questions that I hope I can get answered or links to. Rolled hem - How wide? What kind of stitch? Just a single line of stitches or more. I know I should try a gathered end hammock first because it seems to be the easiest but I would prefer to use a channel. Is it sewn the same way as a rolled hem? is it re-inforced with webbing? Is the rolled hem re-inforced? I'm not too concerned about weight and I'm a big boy (~280lbs). I just want some thing that will be strong enough to hold. Will a single layer 1.9 be enough or should I go with a double? There is a few question for the masters here to chew on. I'll appreciate any info I get. I can't wait to "hang" around in my new hammock!!!!!!!

Thanks Guys.

Eric

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird 1.0dbl
    Tarp
    Zpack Cuben w/door
    Insulation
    Incubator
    Suspension
    The Force
    I can't help with your questions but if you post in the DIY section with a title like "first hammock help needed" those guys will shoot answers faster than you can run to the fabric store.
    Welcome to the club. Now build your clubhouse and stay a while.

Bat
    Bat
    Beginning my NOBO trip on the AT on 2/28/12.

Using the channel for the support line is a complete pain in the butt. First, you'll have to worry about your stitching supporting weight. Second, if you read through old posts you'll see over and over again people being shocked by how great their hammock suddenly felt when they stopped using the channel and whipped the ends.

Sewing the hammock is easy. On the sides, fold the fabric over 1/2", then fold it over again, and run a line of straight stitches down the whole thing. If you want to be fancy, run two lines of stitches. For the ends, fold it over 1/2", then fold it over about 2", and run a couple of lines of straight stitches on the folded over part. Run a small piece of rope through the channel, wrap it around, and tie it. For instructions on how to do that step, you can go read the most popular post on Hammock Forums: http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/s...2300#post42300
    122,000 views and counting.

Boris

Hammock
    Built by ME
    Boris, Do you run the rope thru the end channel to provide an "edge" for the gathered end the hold to?

Thanks for the info.

Eric

That depends on what you mean by "the rope". You run "a rope" through the end channel, but that rope has nothing to do with your suspension. You don't need that rope to give an edge to the end of the hammock. The folded over fabric of the end seam will take care of that. The purpose of the rope in the channel is to hold the end of the hammock in its shape.

Click on that link to read the description of how to do the whip and it will probably make a lot more sense. I'm probably not explaining it very well.

Boris

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird 1.7
    Tarp
    Zpacks Cuben Fiber
    Insulation
    Leigh's UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies/Treestrap
    Welcome to you! Check out Ramblinrev's videos here on the forum. He has a bunch of good thread injecting advice and techniques.
    Terry

• + New Posts