Hammock
    ENO, HH ULB, WBBB, GT
    Tarp
    WBSuperfly
    Insulation
    AHELR,Agnes,WInCub
    Suspension
    Cinch,Tglides,Whoo
    I gotta reiterate what has been stated earlier in this thread: those Hawkeye videos are super funny and waaay out there. That introduction is superb. Hawk, you’re skilled with humor and with filming and editing. I’m enjoying your videos. You, Shug and Grizz really ought to make the first true DVD—you know, from a real DVD company, sell it on Amazon, that sort of thing—about hammocking.

Hey, I’m new to this ‘mocking thing, and I gotta say--and the Dutch Biner is the latest example--you all sure can find dozens of ways to skin a cat, eh? I’m a paddler/kayaker, and I thought we obsessed about the mundane, having lengthy forum threads on drip rings—the rubber drip rings on a paddle! But the number of methods you guys think of to suspend a hammock—well, that about takes the cake. (in Shug’s case, a red velvet cake, to be specific).

Dutch Biners. Dutch Clips. Nacrabiners. Carabiners. Minicarabiners. Malin Spikes. Whoopie Slings. Garda Hitch. Tri-glides. Closed loops. Prussik knots. etc. etc. etc. I’m getting a headache!

Oak Ridge & Linville Gorge, North Carolina
    Hammock
    HHE, 2QZQ Mod4, Jerry 5 DIY
    Tarp
    HG Cuben/SFly Camo
    Insulation
    HammockGear Prod.
    Suspension
    Use them all!
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by coolkayaker1 View Post
    I gotta reiterate what has been stated earlier in this thread: those Hawkeye videos are super funny and waaay out there. That introduction is superb. Hawk, you’re skilled with humor and with filming and editing. I’m enjoying your videos. You, Shug and Grizz really ought to make the first true DVD—you know, from a real DVD company, sell it on Amazon, that sort of thing—about hammocking.
    Well mighty kind of you and especially lumping me in with the likes of Shug and Grizz ... those boys nailed the how to video way before I tried my goofy stuff!

And for some more fuzzy video ... Part II's a coming pretty soon!

WARNING: Will discuss Rhurbarb Strawberry Pie and Livermush at random.

"A democracy is two wolves and a small lamb voting on what to have for dinner.
    Freedom under a constitutional republic is a well armed lamb contesting the vote." ... B.Franklin

Home of the Gorge Rats: Linville Gorge
    My Videos YouTube Channel
    Photo collections Flickr Photostream

Gorge Rat Productions On FaceBook

Hammock
    HH Expl ULA-2QZQ#2
    Tarp
    SWT
    Insulation
    Incubator&W.Burrow
    Suspension
    whoopieslings

Hey, I’m new to this ‘mocking thing, and I gotta say--and the Dutch Biner is the latest example--you all sure can find dozens of ways to skin a cat, eh? I’m a paddler/kayaker, and I thought we obsessed about the mundane, having lengthy forum threads on drip rings—the rubber drip rings on a paddle! But the number of methods you guys think of to suspend a hammock—well, that about takes the cake. (in Shug’s case, a red velvet cake, to be specific).

Dutch Biners. Dutch Clips. Nacrabiners. Carabiners. Minicarabiners. Malin Spikes. Whoopie Slings. Garda Hitch. Tri-glides. Closed loops. Prussik knots. etc. etc. etc. I’m getting a headache!

That's the way I felt too. Who knew there were 100 different ways talk about a "rope" (as my bride so aptly puts it) to hang a hammock on.

...And then one day you find, ten years have got behind you.
    No one told you when to run, you missed the starting gun... "TIME" by Pink Floyd

www.linvillegorge.net -Ken's site

www.heavens-above.com -(set your own "home" site)

Hammock
    Bridgeskin
    Tarp
    DIY Blackcat
    Insulation
    DIY Quilts
    Suspension
    Whoopie sling
    Images

Actually I like what you list as a suspension more. Talk about creative and serving double duty.
    Peace Dutch
    GA>ME 2003

www.MakeYourGear.com
    http://dutchwaregear.com[/URL]
    Visit Dutchwaregear on facebook (and like it)
    Check us out on Twitter @dutchwaregear

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird 1.0dbl
    Tarp
    Zpack Cuben w/door
    Insulation
    Incubator
    Suspension
    The Force
    "You, Shug and Grizz really ought to make the first true DVD—you know, from a real DVD company, sell it on Amazon, that sort of thing—about hammocking"

That combination of personalities would be entertaining but could feel schizophrenic without professional editing.
    Is it legal to unleash Shug onto normal citizens without a significant warning lable?

Bat
    Bat
    Beginning my NOBO trip on the AT on 2/28/12.

Hammock
    TeeDee Bridge Hammock
    Tarp
    Customized JRB
    Insulation
    Down or IX
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Just Jeff View Post
    Here's another very important advantage for me. When the hammock is hung and I want to adjust it, just pulling the whoopie thru the hugger makes a small synthetic cord rub against a larger synthetic webbing...that's a saw. You can actually cut thru rope by using a smaller cord like that. So normally, I have to pull up the hammock and hold it steady while I adjust so that it doesn't damage the hugger. Not impossible, but a nuissance.

With the DB, the whoopie is sliding against the metal, so there's no worry about that. For me, that's an important difference.
    That is definitely an advantage, especially for those using webbing tree huggers. Since we have switched entirely to rope huggers, I didn't think of that one. We use nacrabiners to attach the whoopie sling to the rope hugger and the sawing motion between one Samthan rope and another is non-existent, or enough so that it is not a practical consideration.

However, this one did occur to me today:

Another advantage of the Dutch Biner is one that all metal carabiners share - you can use them single handed to attach a rope if really necessary. It is easier with 2 hands, but most of the time only one hand can accomplish the task.

Now with a nacrabiner, 2 hands are essential. With one hand the nacrabiner just flops about and it's like trying to push a wet noodle. Now I have not found this to be a huge dis-advantage, but it is definitely there.

In making a load of nacrabiners yesterday, I really appreciated the weight difference though - a suspension biner, less than 2 grams, i.e., less than 0.07 oz, with a breaking strength of 1750 lbs. That I appreciate even if I'm not a SUL person. Just grab some 2 mm Dynaglide and make your own.

Hammock
    WB Traveler
    Tarp
    ZPacks CF
    Insulation
    Te-Wa / HG / WB
    Suspension
    Whoopie Hooks
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by TiredFeet View Post
    Another advantage of the Dutch Biner is one that all metal carabiners share - you can use them single handed to attach a rope if really necessary. It is easier with 2 hands, but most of the time only one hand can accomplish the task.
    They spring-gate on the Dutch Biners are surprisingly robust.

It is easy enough to clip on one-handed, but removing a cord from it sometimes requires two hands.
    “I think that when the lies are all told and forgot the truth will be there yet. It dont move about from place to place and it dont change from time to time. You cant corrupt it any more than you can salt salt.” - Cormac McCarthy

Hammock
    Tarp
    HG Cuben/SFly Camo
    Insulation
    HammockGear Prod.
    Suspension
    Use them all!
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by angrysparrow View Post

It is easy enough to clip on one-handed, but removing a cord from it sometimes requires two hands.
    Actually not ... can be done one handed ... little demo in Part II

Freedom under a constitutional republic is a well armed lamb contesting the vote." ... B.Franklin

Hammock
    TeeDee Bridge Hammock
    Tarp
    Customized JRB
    Insulation
    Down or IX
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by angrysparrow View Post

Quote Originally Posted by Hawk-eye View Post
    Actually not ... can be done one handed ... little demo in Part II
    Haven't watched Part II yet, but like all wire gated carabiners, removing the cord, I think it is in the technique.

Anybody that has used a carabiner much, soon discovers 2 methods for removing cord from a carabiner.

If you try to pull around the curve of the carabiner and open the gate with a finger or 2, then you have one problem in that the cord tends to catch in the gate notch. Also, for a tightly sprung gate, holding the gate open for long can be taxing for the finger muscles. This method requires 2 hands. One Italian Company makes a carabiner with no gate notch which can catch and hang the cord. TeeDee has 2 of these. They are great to use, but HEAVY. The company uses the lack of the notch as a selling point in their promotional material. I think the carabiner could be made a lot lighter if the people that make the Nano carabiner were consulted. I think the notch is a sore point for a lot of people.

A better technique is to just arrange the cord and carabiner so that the cord can be pulled against the gate and slid down the gate and out. This method may require 2 hands or 1 hand depending on the exact situation.

The second method is easier.

If using rings instead of cord, this method 1 is the only method that will work and Murphy's Law guarantees that the ring will catch in the gate notch.

Unfortunately, the geometry of the situation doesn't always allow method 2.

Hammock
    Tarp
    HG Cuben/SFly Camo
    Insulation
    HammockGear Prod.
    Suspension
    Use them all!
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by TiredFeet View Post
    .....Unfortunately, the geometry of the situation doesn't always allow method 2.
    Respectifully ... I think you're over complicating the situation. As rigged in a suspension ... there is no adverse geometry and it works quite easily.

But like most things in life we can agree to disagree ....

• + New Posts
  • Page 13 of 14 FirstFirst ... 311121314 LastLast