Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: HH Hex Tarp

Images

HH Hex Tarp

I recently got hold of a HH Hex Tarp. It's not bad, really. Doesn't pitch as tight as my MacCat Deluxe, of course, but it pitches pretty tight. And it's quite roomy, a bit larger over all than the MC. This is the heavier version, I think it was 1 lb 9 oz. But the Silnylon version is a bit longer and only 19 oz, and might make a pretty good alternative for light packing. I love the little pockets for storing the guy lines.

Images
    You can see I'm pretty tall per my shadow!

Images
    There really is a lot of coverage with this fly. Remember, this is the UL Explorer underneath, which is about a foot longer than the ULBP. It's size is listed as 144" by 120". The lighter Silnylon version is listed as 144" by 132". Wow, that would be a lot of party room!

Looks good. How much weight does it add over the standard tarp?

Hammock
    Warbonnet Black Bird
    Tarp
    BWDD Winterdream
    Insulation
    Speer Snugfit
    Images
    I like my HH hex. My site has been dubbed the Hammock Hilton at the Hot Springs hang-outs. It's the one with the camp chair under it with the hammock. When I make my silnylon one it will be at least that large, albeit with the corners on to be able to shut it down like the new Speer tarp and other DIY tarps here.
    Bad spellers of the world Untie!

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by ZDP-189 View Post
    Looks good. How much weight does it add over the standard tarp?
    A lot in the cheaper PU version, compared to the ultralight versions. It is 1lb 9 oz. I think the stock tarp is about 13 oz on the UL Explorer, and less on the ULBP. But the silnylon version of this tarp is 19 oz, so it adds about 6 oz to my stock UL Explorer Asym tarp, and more if your comparing to the ULBP or UL hyperlite, etc.

Hammock
    GrizzBridge Ariel
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Winter
    Insulation
    DIY UQ
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadowmoss View Post
    I like my HH hex. My site has been dubbed the Hammock Hilton at the Hot Springs hang-outs. It's the one with the camp chair under it with the hammock. When I make my silnylon one it will be at least that large, albeit with the corners on to be able to shut it down like the new Speer tarp and other DIY tarps here.
    I'm with you on that. I think if one did an analysis of comfort gain obtained by adding ounces somewhere in a total hammock design, many of us would find very high marginal utility added due to the added extra ounces in a silnylon tarp that take you from just keeping the hammock dry to having a place to live on the trail.

Then there are the folks who clip the tags out of their clothing, and huddle at night under poncho/tarps. No extra ounce is a good ounce for them. They enjoy their reward when carrying their ultra-light-weight packs. (And in comparing their base weights, on the internet )

Grizz (who aspires to be a lightweight backpacker, but is too fond of camp comfort to ever qualify as an ultra-lightweight backpacker).

Images
    I'm in the same camp as you Grizz... Although most of my travel is by canoe... So when I hike I have that to carry as well...

But there are some things its just not worth giving up. I'll carry a bigger tarp every time. When you're weather bound for days its nice to be able to move about and stay dry...

Hammock
    Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    Ultralight is WAY too much work for me. If I manage to get to "lightweight" I'll be thrilled. When I see something like that tarp it gives me the motiviation I need to keep up the workouts; legs...must...be...strong.

Hammock
    JRB Bear Mtn. Bridge
    Tarp
    BlackCat/JRB 11x10
    Insulation
    Pad(s)/JRB Quilts
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by GrizzlyAdams View Post
    I'm with you on that. I think if one did an analysis of comfort gain obtained by adding ounces somewhere in a total hammock design, many of us would find very high marginal utility added due to the added extra ounces in a silnylon tarp that take you from just keeping the hammock dry to having a place to live on the trail.

Then there are the folks who clip the tags out of their clothing, and huddle at night under poncho/tarps. No extra ounce is a good ounce for them. They enjoy their reward when carrying their ultra-light-weight packs. (And in comparing their base weights, on the internet )

Grizz (who aspires to be a lightweight backpacker, but is too fond of camp comfort to ever qualify as an ultra-lightweight backpacker).
    My moving from a HH Hyperlight to a JRB Bridge hammock is a good example.
    Never slept in a bridge yet ....just assuming it's gonna be goooood.
    "Every day above ground is a good day"

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast