Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sources for materials

So I'm looking at making a new hammock for myself. It has been a while and I'm finding that there are some new people selling new products (Whoopie Slings for example). So, this list is what I need, can you help me (and by helping me you're helping several of my friends who I'll be helping make their hammocks).

Hammock body material. Looking for a super lightweight material, gonna be a single layer with gathered ends and whipped. I would like it to be 60 inches wide.

Line to whip the ends? I'm assuming Whoopie Slings but what size and what rope?

Suspension...I'm moving towards the Whoopie Slings again here and I think I read somewhere that you can send your hammock to him and he'll get you all set up (for a price of course, but very reasonable). If that's the case I may just do that.

Am I missing anything?

Thanks

Hammock
    Argon X90 Experimental hammock
    Tarp
    7'x9' cuben tarp
    Insulation
    Pads and quilts
    Suspension
    Kevlar + dynaglide
    Images
    Great timing. I was just writing about this yesterday.
    Quote Originally Posted by sherpaxc View Post
    Hammock body material. Looking for a super lightweight material, gonna be a single layer with gathered ends and whipped. I would like it to be 60 inches wide.
    I HIGHLY recommend www.thru-hiker.com and their 1.1 Ripstop firsts. I love this fabric. It isn't like any other 1.1 I've tried: http://thru-hiker.com/materials/breathable.php
    Line to whip the ends? I'm assuming Whoopie Slings but what size and what rope?
    Based on my experience using that 1.1 and different ropes I also HIGHLY suggest you do gathered ends. I had multiple episodes of lines sliding off the ends with that 1.1 because it has a slick texture. Gathered ends solved those problems and it makes for a comfortable lay too.
    Suspension...I'm moving towards the Whoopie Slings again here and I think I read somewhere that you can send your hammock to him and he'll get you all set up (for a price of course, but very reasonable). If that's the case I may just do that.
    If you weigh less than 225 I would go with dynaglide whoopies from either www.whoopieslings.com or www.arrowheadequipmnet.webs.com:
    http://arrowheadequipment.webs.com/a...s/show/1611346
    or
    http://shop.whoopieslings.com/Dynagl...lings-DGWS.htm
    Am I missing anything?

Thanks
    Toggles, tree straps, bug net.

Toggles are available from www.whoopieslings.com http://shop.whoopieslings.com/Toggles-TOG.htm
    or you can go to a place that cuts arrows like Dicks and get some remnants.

Tree straps are available from lots of sources. BUT if you are sewing I would HIGHLY recommend going to Autozone and getting one or two of these and making your own: http://www.autozone.com/autozone/acc...er=207487_0_0_

Bug net: lots of solutions out there. it depends on if you are interested in making your own net or buying one. If you make your own I've got plans for a sock in my gallery: http://www.hammockforums.net/gallery...&imageuser=133 or Papa Smurf is going to make these as custom orders.

Warbonnet also sells a net solution: http://warbonnetoutdoors.com/travelers.php

I hope that helps.
    NO SNIVELING!
    www.hikinghq.net - Hiking H.Q.
    www.bmtguide.com - the BMT Thru Hiker's Guide

That is perfect. Exactly what I need. So really it looks like I just need to get my hammock body made and then the rest I'll probably just use the Whoopie Slings and accessories. That makes it easy. I'll just use a headnet for my fall/winter/spring trips and then do more research about a full net.

Thanks again.

Hammock
    Tarp
    7'x9' cuben tarp
    Insulation
    Pads and quilts
    Suspension
    Kevlar + dynaglide
    Images
    I assume you already have a tarp since you didn't ask.

I'll be playing with nets in the future. But I think your suggestion is probably the best all around for flexibility and weight. I've brought my net on numerous trips bit have only used it a couple of times. A head net and some deet would probably be lighter and then you would only pull them out to use them if absolutely necessary.
    NO SNIVELING!

Correct, I have a fly/UQ/TQ set up. I'm just looking to make a newer hammock body and it's been awhile since I've done that. Space is VERY limited in my set-up so I generally don't bring a full bug net.

Hammock
    WarbonnetBlackbird
    Tarp
    Olive Superfly
    Insulation
    Incubat Dempsey TQ
    Suspension
    Stock Webbing
    Quote Originally Posted by sherpaxc View Post
    Correct, I have a fly/UQ/TQ set up. I'm just looking to make a newer hammock body and it's been awhile since I've done that. Space is VERY limited in my set-up so I generally don't bring a full bug net.

Now that's a pretty cool way to traverse the deep woods!

Hammock
    Mikey C. Custom Hammocks
    Tarp
    Kelty Noah 12x12
    Insulation
    Mikey C. Easy-Bake
    Images
    Start yourself a blog if for no other reason to gather information like this. I have one (http://outdoorsmike.blogspot.com/) and use it for this purpose. It is scattered information but it is just for me.

Hammock
    Tarp
    7'x9' cuben tarp
    Insulation
    Pads and quilts
    Suspension
    Kevlar + dynaglide
    Images
    That is pretty cool looking.
    NO SNIVELING!

A have a family blog but to be honest I'm pretty lazy and keeping up with it.

Thanks for the compliments. We don't always get to ride everything, sometimes we have to hoof it just like the rest of ya'll...

That pick is taken on the Ouachita Trail in Arkansas. Going there again in late October.

There are quite a few people in Austin that are bikpackers/hangers. We all love the hammock but are trying to go lighter without breaking the bank.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1dbl, BIAS WWM, BIAS WW
    Tarp
    Zpacks, OES Delux
    Insulation
    WL Summer, HG Phx
    Suspension
    Whoop!
    Hey Sherpa - I am assembling a similar setup for my 29 with Revelate bags. I have the stock frame bag so the space is a little limited. Just curious what your gear list is. I am having a hard time stuffing everything I think I need. Of course, with limited space, something needs to stay in the closet...what do you have packed away in those bags?

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast