Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Hammock
    DIYZipper top entry
    Tarp
    MEC silnylon
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by nogods View Post
    It is the same color as the material used by Green Therapy for his rain coat. I held it close to a mirror an breathed throug it and the mirror became fogged so I think it is breathable. Just wish it were ripstop.
    if it is the same fabric it is a LOT harder to rip than any ripstop that I have. I think it is a polyerster blend of some sort as water does not saturate the fabric as it does nylon. During testing when we forced water through the fabric by making a pouch as described earlier and twisting it to force the water through the fabric itself was still dry. We just wiped the surface mositure with a towel and it was dry to the touch with no risidual moisture ramaining in the fabric. A couple of days ago my son in law made a hoody pullover shirt for trying out in light drizzle. with the breathable feature it should be good when traveling with a pack to allow perspiation to escape.

He also found some more in grey at wal mart a couple of days ago that is the same stuff. I bought 60 feet of the green when I found it, and he bought 80 feet of the grey. both are 60 inches wide. we are hoping to make more hiking apparal out or it.
    What I lack in knowledge I MORE than make up for with opinions.
    Green Therapy

Images
    Green,

Any chance I could impose upon you for a scrap so I can see if my Walmart has any? I'd be happy to pay postal costs.

i got some digi-camo fabric just like that from a walmart bargain bin. was only 1$ a yard so i bought the whole roll. should make for some good gear.

so far i've only used it for making paintball gear (paint wipes off clean)

Images
    I wraped a piece of it around the sink sprayer and turned on the water. Water can be forced through it but it comes through as tiney little beads. And it doesn't seem to get wet - the water just rolls right off.

I would like to know exactly what this stuff is. Hopefully it is not in the $1 bin because of any toxic chemicals it might contain. I get a bit nervous about wearing cloths made out of "unknown fiber content".

Hammock
    Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    I agree with GREEN THERAPY, sounds like polyester to me too. ALL walmart fabric in the cheap bin says: "unknown fiber content". No worries.

Hammock
    DIYZipper top entry
    Tarp
    MEC silnylon
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by nogods View Post
    I wraped a piece of it around the sink sprayer and turned on the water. Water can be forced through it but it comes through as tiney little beads. And it doesn't seem to get wet - the water just rolls right off.

I would like to know exactly what this stuff is. Hopefully it is not in the $1 bin because of any toxic chemicals it might contain. I get a bit nervous about wearing cloths made out of "unknown fiber content".
    Ahhh ... worry my speciality.... I worry more about the food additives thou than whats in that fiber. It does sound like the same stuff to be sure. They seem to be having a run of it in Wal Mart outlets . Will send you a scrap to have a look at Rapt.
    Green Therapy

Images
    Thanks!

I just built my first tarp tent out of this fabric and it is very strong - little heavy but for an $11 3 man tent you cant go wrong -

Mike

Images
    I thought I found more of it tonight - looked the same and felt the same except it was grey instead of green, and there was about 12 yards of it - but I tested it and it was not the waterproof stuff. Maybe only the green version is waterproffed.

And I got my weathershield and equipment hammock/pack cover back from the seamstress today.
    Last edited by nogods; 10-16-2007 at 21:56.

Hammock
    DIYZipper top entry
    Tarp
    MEC silnylon
    Images
    They grey we found here is the same stuff. He bought a little sample to test at home.... when it was the same he went and bought the whole bolt.
    Green Therapy

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast