WB BB 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    8x10 made by me
    Insulation
    JRB winter UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    Amsteel Whoopies

Hanging table

I'm interested in making a hanging table. Similar to something like this- http://www.amazon.com/Coleman-Expone...etosecrpack-20

I might just buy one of these and just use the table part. It says 20oz. I'm wondering how much the table part weighs. I figure I could ditch the strap (hang it from my hammock suspension strap), ditch the clamps/hangers, and replace the rope with amsteel or zing it. I'm wondering what the end weight would be?

Does any one have any experience with one of these? How strong and stable is the table? They say it will hold 25 lbs.

If I did it myself what could I make the table out of to be lighter? I'm thinking flat aluminum strips with a piece on each end perpendicular but then how do I hold it together? In theory it would pack up small. Another thing would just be a solid table that didn't break down, maybe a cutting board but how thick would that have to be to stay flat?

I mostly overnight hike with my kids, to have a food prep area out of the dirt would be worth the weight on short hikes with them. Even a flat leg less table would be nice. I guess I don't need to hang it, I could always find something in the woods to use as legs.

Hammock
    WarbonnetBlackbird
    Tarp
    Olive Superfly
    Insulation
    Incubat Dempsey TQ
    Suspension
    Stock Webbing
    That's pretty awesome. I've never seen one of those hanging tables before.

For the money, I'd just get it and modify it. It looks like it could be a neat project!

I could just see me looking for 3 trees instead of two, and they'd have to be laid out so I could use the hanging table as a night stand to hold my book, lamp, and water. LOL

Hammock
    WB BB 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    MacCat Dlx SpinnUL
    Insulation
    Phoenix/Incubator
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Making a hanging table that is also lightweight and sturdy could be a challenge.

One starting point could be a polypropylene cutting board. Many sizes are available and they are pretty easy to drill holes into for attaching cord.
    "The more I carry the happier I am in camp; the less I carry the happier I am getting there" - Sgt. Rock

Hammock
    Mikey C. Custom Hammocks
    Tarp
    Kelty Noah 12x12
    Insulation
    Mikey C. Easy-Bake
    Images
    Maybe the bottom of a milk crate or something similar. It has holes and wouldn't be as stable but it would be lighter.

Coleman Deluxe Camp Grill <--- Buy one of those and suspend it from your tree huggers.

Grilliput <--- Or one of these if you want to pay a bit more for compactness and cool factor.

Boris

Hammock
    WB BB 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    8x10 made by me
    Insulation
    JRB winter UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    Amsteel Whoopies
    I like the milk crate idea but made out of something similar but thinner (lighter).

The grilliput is interesting but 20 oz seems heavy and $30 plus shipping is to much for me.

Something stable enough to put a stove on would be my goal, depending on the size of the tree you would be sheltered from wind.

I'm going to give it a try with a board or something laying around at home and see how stable it is.

Hammock
    DIY, gathered end , w/ spreader
    Tarp
    JRB Universal
    Insulation
    DAM/ HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    The corrugated plastic sign material is light & rigid.
    I once made a cup holder to hold my mocha off to the side of my hammock, but it was on a separate cord going from tree to tree, held up by a hiking stick & away from the hammock by a "tie out cord" like is on some hammocks.
    Like mentioned above, you wouldn't want a table attached to the hammock suspension because of the swaying & bouncing.
    I too will something make and joy in it's making

Quote Originally Posted by slowhike View Post
    PERFECT! Good grief, I pull up a dozen of those annoying signs and toss them into dumpsters every month. I'm going to go check my favorite corner tomorrow and see if the dirtbags have left me a tabletop.

Boris

Oak Ridge & Linville Gorge, North Carolina
    Hammock
    HHE, 2QZQ Mod4, Jerry 5 DIY
    Tarp
    HG Cuben/SFly Camo
    Insulation
    HammockGear Prod.
    Suspension
    Use them all!
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Boris Losdindawoods View Post
    Coleman Deluxe Camp Grill <--- Buy one of those and suspend it from your tree huggers.

Grilliput <--- Or one of these if you want to pay a bit more for compactness and cool factor.

Boris
    That Grilliput is sweet and I use mine over charcoal in an aluminum tray but man oh man is it heavy!!!!

WARNING: Will discuss Rhurbarb Strawberry Pie and Livermush at random.

"A democracy is two wolves and a small lamb voting on what to have for dinner.
    Freedom under a constitutional republic is a well armed lamb contesting the vote." ... B.Franklin

Home of the Gorge Rats: Linville Gorge
    My Videos YouTube Channel
    Photo collections Flickr Photostream

Gorge Rat Productions On FaceBook

Hammock
    BMBH, GT single para
    Tarp
    WB mamajamba
    Insulation
    walmart 40f bag UQ
    Suspension
    whoopie&gt;togg&gt;strap
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by slowhike View Post
    I once made a cup holder to hold my mocha off to the side of my hammock, but it was on a separate cord going from tree to tree, held up by a hiking stick & away from the hammock by a "tie out cord" like is on some hammocks.
    Like mentioned above, you wouldn't want a table attached to the hammock suspension because of the swaying & bouncing.

THIS...

but then with a razor blade you cut slits through one side wall every third or fourth cell (think plant cell) of the sign so that its flexible. this way it will roll up one direction and will be rigid the other direction. string 2 or 4 zing-it whoopies through holes in all four corners of table and around tree strap for leveling. the sign alone might hold 5 - 10 lbs against the slits before bowing. I might even add some arrow shafts or trail sticks as stringers(perpendicular to the slits) larks head fixed eyes of whoopies for more support as my concern is getting the tree huggers to hold tight enough that it doesnt slide while still maintaining light weight. Im sure there is some sort of tri-glide or double descender ring setup that is escaping me. I think all in all, depending on your need for this sort of contraption, you could build one pretty easily, pretty cheaply that could potentially roll up and pack in that old stake bag from you're unused tent.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast