Speer
    Tarp
    8x10 cat silnylon
    Insulation
    thermarest w/ SPE
    Suspension
    Speers straps.

Shining rock "escape the heat"

I'm thinking of hiking from "the big east fork" trailhead on 276 up to shining rock gap then over stairstep mt. down the narrows to deep gap at the foot of cold mt. Then back out the next day. The weather should be a big relief from what us poor low landers have been slogging through. Probably in 2 or 3 weeks..... Any interest?

Hammock
    Speer
    Tarp
    8x10 cat silnylon
    Insulation
    thermarest w/ SPE
    Suspension
    Speers straps.

ps. where's the water?

I was also wondering if anyone has been up around shining rock gap and along the narrows to deep gap and knows if the water sources are running lately? Trying to make campsite plans. Let me know if u know.

Hammock
    Black DIY dual zipper
    Tarp
    Black DIY 10'X12'
    Insulation
    DIY down UQ & TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie sling
    Water is scarce up there. There is a small "stream" up around Shining Rock gap area where the campsites are then up on the Cold Mtn. trail there's a pvc pipe coming out of the mtn. right next to the trail.
    "Is this the best you've got?!!" (Shortoff Mtn., Linville Gorge 2010)

"Life is tough.....it's even tougher if you're stupid!".....(John Wayne)

Hammock
    DIY of the Day
    Tarp
    DIY of the Day
    Insulation
    DIY PLoft/IX-UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    WS or Spyder Line
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Hangin' Burrito View Post
    Water is scarce up there. There is a small "stream" up around Shining Rock gap area where the campsites are then up on the Cold Mtn. trail there's a pvc pipe coming out of the mtn. right next to the trail.
    Also, once at Deep Gap, there's a water source about 1/4 mile down the Art Loeb Trail towards DB Scout Camp.
    2015 John Rock Spreadsheet.

"If you find yourself in a hole, the first thing you should do is STOP DIGGING "

Hammock
    DIY 11' double layer 1.1
    Tarp
    huge DIY camo
    Insulation
    DIY 9oz. Primaloft
    Suspension
    7/64"whoopie sling
    Ditto to what they said. I was there with a group a while back, and we reseated that little PVC pipe. Got the flow to almost double. Didn't filter, and none of us had any of Montezuma's Revenge, so I imagine it's clean.

Acer
    It's better to have it and not need it than need it and not have it.

Formerly known as Acercanto, my trail name is MacGuyver to some, and Pucker Factor to others.

It's not procrastinating, its proactively delaying the implementation of the energy-intensive phase of the project until the enthusiasm factor is at its maximum effectiveness. - Randy Glasbergen

Hammock
    Speer
    Tarp
    8x10 cat silnylon
    Insulation
    thermarest w/ SPE
    Suspension
    Speers straps.

4 days 3 nites!!!

Thanks for the water reports. I'll be going for 4 days over labor day. Can't really decide between the steep quick "old butt knob" trail and the long ivestor gap trail. Anyone have a suggestion.

Hammock
    Back to the ground.
    Tarp
    Yukon Outfitters
    Insulation
    ONETIGRIS UQ
    Suspension
    Kevlar/toggle
    My new personal favorite is the little east fork trail starting at daniel boone boyscout camp. It's such a nice and gradual climb trail. Water for a good bit of the way. I've also always found good running water about .5 mile back from SR gap on the art loeb in the direction of cold mountain. Coming right out of the hillside through mossy rocks.
    'I Want to See Mountains Again, Gandalf!'

Hammock
    Speer
    Tarp
    8x10 cat silnylon
    Insulation
    thermarest w/ SPE
    Suspension
    Speers straps.

been there .... loved it

4X4. I've hiked that run from the scout camp too (but it was the Art Loeb) with my son several years and 20 lbs. ago. I'm jealous if you call it easy.... it kind of whooped my hiney but that was when my pack, sleeping bag, and tent were pretty heavy and I didn't do dehydrated food. Just carrying that 20 lbs. in a different place now. oh oh!

Thanks for the recommendation though. I'll have to try that other trail out of the scout camp.

You're right the springs were great, but the apples at deep gap weren't ripe yet. We went in Sept. and the ranger said he'd leave one of the shower rooms at the scout camp unlocked for us to use after we came off the trail head.... ahhhh!

Hammock
    Back to the ground.
    Tarp
    Yukon Outfitters
    Insulation
    ONETIGRIS UQ
    Suspension
    Kevlar/toggle
    Quote Originally Posted by diesel View Post
    4X4. I've hiked that run from the scout camp too (but it was the Art Loeb) with my son several years and 20 lbs. ago. I'm jealous if you call it easy.... it kind of whooped my hiney but that was when my pack, sleeping bag, and tent were pretty heavy and I didn't do dehydrated food. Just carrying that 20 lbs. in a different place now. oh oh!

Thanks for the recommendation though. I'll have to try that other trail out of the scout camp.

You're right the springs were great, but the apples at deep gap weren't ripe yet. We went in Sept. and the ranger said he'd leave one of the shower rooms at the scout camp unlocked for us to use after we came off the trail head.... ahhhh!
    yes, the art loeb starting at camp daniel boone that climbs up to deep gap and then onto stairs mountain and the narrows is pretty brutal. did it on my second backpacking trip ever and was probably carrying 10lbs more than what I normally carry now. I've also done the Shining Creek trail a couple of times and it's pretty tough near the end....probably last 3rd of it. Of course coming from the Black balsam parking area is great too....... usually my preferred way for the wide open vistas but i usually go to shining rock when the parkway is closed for winter Again, the Little East fork trail from the backside of daniel boone camp is my preferred if I can't come in from the parkway. it's nothing like it's art loeb counterpart. you park in the same area but instead of jumping on the art loeb right there you just hike back on through the rest of the boy scout camp until it turns into Little East fork.

Could probably make a nice loop by going up the Little East fork and then back down the Art Loeb with the possibility of a side trip up Cold Mountain...... sheesh why haven't I ever done that loop?!?!!? Guess that's next on the agenda for when i go back up there next
    'I Want to See Mountains Again, Gandalf!'

Hammock
    Speer
    Tarp
    8x10 cat silnylon
    Insulation
    thermarest w/ SPE
    Suspension
    Speers straps.

adjusted plan

I guess my Daughter and her Guy-friend are comming along..... I think the "Bust your butt knob" uphill pitch might kill them. (It would certainly Kill Me!) So the Ivestor Gap road trail is our path.

Looks like Stary nights with ENORMOUS Milky Way views and clear sunny days. Of couse up that high some kind of rain will surely happen. Lows in the ???? 40's ???? SERIOUSLY?

I love this altitude! Have to hit REI first Sat. am. Big sale and needfull things if I have to outfit 3 of us. Anyone have a down hammock top quilt they want me to test out??? ummm or any extra $ they want me to spend? ha ha.

Pictures to follow! next week.
    Get out more!

• + New Posts