Tarp
    Sea to Summit
    Insulation
    Down
    Suspension
    Becket Hitch
    Images

Walking the Amazon - with a HH

I just saw this on the web: Ed Stafford and team recently completed a backpacking trip following the Amazon river -- a multi-year trip. It looks like he hung in a hammock.

Hammock
    hennessy deep jungle xl
    Tarp
    hennessy hex tarp
    Insulation
    roll matt
    Suspension
    karabiner
    Quote Originally Posted by dejoha View Post
    I just saw this on the web: Ed Stafford and team recently completed a backpacking trip following the Amazon river -- a multi-year trip. It looks like he hung in a hammock.

why does the tarp look so messed up though?

Hammock
    hennessy deep jungle xl
    Tarp
    hennessy hex tarp
    Insulation
    roll matt
    Suspension
    karabiner
    taken from hh website.

Reviews and Articles

Ed Stafford describes the contents of his rucksack and picks Hennessy Hammock as his favorite piece of gear as he attempts to become the first person to walk the entire length of the Amazon River.

HANGING ABOUT
    I’m now using a hammock sleeping system rather than a tent. Hennessy Hammocks is a Canadian company that makes an ingenious all-in-one hammock and mosquito net
    that you enter through a flap in the bottom. Having used the old military hammocks in the past, I love the Hennessy concept. Its hammocks are lighter, quicker to erect and
    pack up in seconds. You can sprawl around and turn over as much as you like. The one drawback with the version I’m using is that it isn’t completely mosquito-proof if you sleep with your bare skin against the hammock. That’s because your body weight stretches open the fabric just enough to allow the little blighters access to your blood. To its he credit, Hennessy has acknowledged this and has made me abespoke double- skin version. I sleep with a lightweight single season sleeping bag and use a silk liner both to stop the bag getting too stinky and on its own as a cooler option on hot nights.
    All of Hennessy’s hammocks come with the option of the superb Hex Fly, which is an enormous hexagonal waterproof flysheet. It covers the hammock with room to spare, allowing you to cook, administrate and even have meetings with four or five people out of the rain. On the subject of rain, the one thing that’s surprisingly unnecessary is waterproof clothing. The humidity and temperature are so high that I’m normally drenched with sweat all day long. Days when it rains are actually more comfortable, as I find the air is fresher and less sticky. The one concession to this is that if you’re going to move around in an open vehicle or boat, you may want a lightweight waterproof jacket or poncho, as the resulting windchill can make life rather nippy if you’re wearing a wet cotton T-shirt. Personally, I prefer to save the weight. I could theoretically use the Hex Fly as an improvised jacket should the need arise.

Hennessy Explorer Ultralight
    (with Hex Fly option)
    US$220/1.15 KILOGRAMS
    The best hammock system available. The hammock sits high and close to the fly so that even in torrential downpours, you don’t get wet from rain splashing of the ground or other trees

Don't follow the web link for the next day or so. His site is getting hammered right now because they just sent out the twitter that they're done and the news wires have picked it up.

Boris

Hammock
    hennessy deep jungle xl
    Tarp
    hennessy hex tarp
    Insulation
    roll matt
    Suspension
    karabiner
    hh site talks about it anyway eh!

Hammock
    BIAS 11 footer
    Tarp
    Hennessey Hex
    Insulation
    pitbull Shamu
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images
    I listened to a podcast on Practical Backpacker that had an interview with this guy and he talked about how he got Hennessy to modify a hammock for him.

Ken
    Ken T.

“Between every two pines is a doorway to a new world.”
    ― John Muir
    Watches synchronized, sharp mind and empty bladder. You get caught, demand an attorney and don't ever say my name. - Agent Simmons
    "With your eyes closed you can't tell the difference between Tyvek and Cuben." - Knotty

Hammock
    hennessy deep jungle xl
    Tarp
    hennessy hex tarp
    Insulation
    roll matt
    Suspension
    karabiner
    yeah he had the explorer double bottomed because he kept getting bitten. read above.

Hammock
    WB Traveler
    Tarp
    Custom OES tarp
    Insulation
    JRB Down UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Images
    Saw on the news a story about him making the journey! Showed him wading around in the ocean at journey's end.

"Civilization is the limitless multiplication of unnecessary necessities."
    - Mark Twain
    “I go to nature to be soothed and healed, and to have my senses put in order.”
    - John Burroughs

Oak Ridge & Linville Gorge, North Carolina
    Hammock
    HHE, 2QZQ Mod4, Jerry 5 DIY
    Tarp
    HG Cuben/SFly Camo
    Insulation
    HammockGear Prod.
    Suspension
    Use them all!
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by NCPatrick View Post
    Saw on the news a story about him making the journey! Showed him wading around in the ocean at journey's end.
    Good Lord ... hope someone told him it was over ... or did he keep walking?

WARNING: Will discuss Rhurbarb Strawberry Pie and Livermush at random.

"A democracy is two wolves and a small lamb voting on what to have for dinner.
    Freedom under a constitutional republic is a well armed lamb contesting the vote." ... B.Franklin

Home of the Gorge Rats: Linville Gorge
    My Videos YouTube Channel
    Photo collections Flickr Photostream

Gorge Rat Productions On FaceBook

Hammock
    WB Traveler
    Tarp
    Custom OES tarp
    Insulation
    JRB Down UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Images
    Ha! Good question!

"Civilization is the limitless multiplication of unnecessary necessities."
    - Mark Twain
    “I go to nature to be soothed and healed, and to have my senses put in order.”
    - John Burroughs

• + New Posts