Tarp
    WB Camo
    Insulation
    Burrow + Lynx
    Suspension
    Black DIY Whoopies
    Images

Opinions on the HH ASYM 30D SILNYLON RAINFLY

Opinions on the HH ASYM 30D SILNYLON RAINFLY, for use as a light weight summer fly for use with my WBBB?

I know most guys have said that the stock hennessy fly is to small, this one is supposed to be a little bigger 122" ridgeline 92" X 65" parallelogram 8ish oz. brown silnylon

It seems like a pretty good deal in a sil tarp, but is it big enough to be useful for medium-light rain protection?

It's only a deal if it works

http://hennessyhammock.com/catalogue.html#cat

I want something sil, and earthtone, and smaller for lightweight backpacking trips. Camo or OD would be Ideal but apparently that's not happening in silnylon

Hammock
    HH & WB & GT & ENO
    Tarp
    Hennessy ASYM 30D
    Insulation
    CCF
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by 1022 View Post
    Opinions on the HH ASYM 30D SILNYLON RAINFLY, for use as a light weight summer fly for use with my WBBB?

I know most guys have said that the stock hennessy fly is to small, this one is supposed to be a little bigger 122" ridgeline 92" X 65" parallelogram 8ish oz. brown silnylon

It seems like a pretty good deal in a sil tarp, but is it big enough to be useful for medium-light rain protection?

It's only a deal if it works

http://hennessyhammock.com/catalogue.html#cat

I want something sil, and earthtone, and smaller for lightweight backpacking trips. Camo or OD would be Ideal but apparently that's not happening in silnylon
    I have one, and like it...it's really small, and you need to be able to adjust your ridgeline over the hammock to make it work, but it provides coverage in rain...

Jamie - nfa

Hammock
    hennessy deep jungle xl
    Tarp
    hennessy hex tarp
    Insulation
    roll matt
    Suspension
    karabiner
    70d stock version has never done me any hard... gone through a few monsoon seasons whilst on expedition in sea (borneo, sumatra etc) never got wet once....

dont know what all the complains are about really!!!! (here we go again hehe...)

Hammock
    WBRR
    Tarp
    WB Camo
    Insulation
    Burrow + Lynx
    Suspension
    Black DIY Whoopies
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by NFA View Post
    I have one, and like it...it's really small, and you need to be able to adjust your ridgeline over the hammock to make it work, but it provides coverage in rain...

Jamie - nfa
    I would give the tarp it's own ridgeline over my WBBB instead of "piggybacking" it onto the hammock suspension like the stock HH setup. Is this what you mean?

is there a better solution in the same price/weight ballpark I should be looking at? is the OES MacCat Micro tarp close in terms of coverage ( he has some brown Sil instock... I don't want to go too much more money...

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by 1022 View Post
    I would give the tarp it's own ridgeline over my WBBB instead of "piggybacking" it onto the hammock suspension like the stock HH setup. Is this what you mean?

is there a better solution in the same price/weight ballpark I should be looking at? is the OES MacCat Micro tarp close in terms of coverage ( he has some brown Sil instock... I don't want to go too much more money...
    How about the long version at 12 oz? Things are screwy on the web site, with both showing the exact same specs except for weight. My stock Explorer has ~ 137" ridgeline (~11 ft 5"). I sure wouldn't want any shorter on my HH Explorer.

What is interesting is this is A: cat cut and B: has a zipper for poncho use. Wonder how that cat cut works on this diamond tarp? It looks real tight in the pic.

But I also notice the replacement stock expedition/backpacker tarp is $50 but this one is $90? That is a big price jump for a zipper and a cat cut. But maybe it is worth it.

Hammock
    HH Explorer Deluxe
    Tarp
    HH Sil Hex
    Insulation
    JRB Mt. Washington
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Have you considered the silnylon hex fly from HH? I have weathered out a few nasty thunderstorms with that one. There is enough room under there that I had my m/c riding clothes, boots, hammock unfurled, and sitting on a folding chair with my Coleman featherlight heating water for coffee, and everything stayed dry.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Oxblood View Post
    Have you considered the silnylon hex fly from HH? I have weathered out a few nasty thunderstorms with that one. There is enough room under there that I had my m/c riding clothes, boots, hammock unfurled, and sitting on a folding chair with my Coleman featherlight heating water for coffee, and everything stayed dry.
    Yep, at 19 oz, lot's of coverage with that one for sure! I think mine has a 12 foot RL, and plenty wide also. The little cord pockets are nice also. Only thing is, no cat cut on the sides. Still, I always thought it was pretty good even in the wind. Good tarp!

Hammock
    HH Explorer Deluxe
    Tarp
    HH Sil Hex
    Insulation
    JRB Mt. Washington
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Quote Originally Posted by BillyBob58 View Post
    Yep, at 19 oz, lot's of coverage with that one for sure! I think mine has a 12 foot RL, and plenty wide also. The little cord pockets are nice also. Only thing is, no cat cut on the sides. Still, I always thought it was pretty good even in the wind. Good tarp!
    Yeppers. It is a good tarp. I may get a second to put up as a "living room" area. Cook and eat there, sleep under the other. They also cmpress into a stuff sack nicely.

Hammock
    Hennessy ULBA with 2QZQ mod #4
    Tarp
    AHE Toxaway Tarp
    Insulation
    Hammockgear TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    WhoOpie Slings/DCs
    I have the stock HH tarp for my HH backpacker Asym hammock and I just got back from a week in Nova Scotia, Canada. The first night there we had thunder and lightning and torrential rains all night. I stayed dry as a bone that night. I had the tarp rigged about 1 foot above the hammock on a separate ridgeline. Other campers nearby in tents had to get up in the night to dig small trenches around the tents to direct the water away from them.
    I had just enough room to sit on a small tripod campchair under the tarp. It would be better to have a slightly bigger rectangular tarp such as the OES Maccat if it rained all day...A little more room under the tarp would be great. a second set of snake skins to fold up the hammock in rain conditions would also work well.

Picture taken before rainfall started.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Take care,
    Bluefin

Bluefin's Videos

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by BLUEFIN 774 View Post
    I have the stock HH tarp for my HH backpacker Asym hammock and I just got back from a week in Nova Scotia, Canada. The first night there we had thunder and lightning and torrential rains all night. I stayed dry as a bone that night. I had the tarp rigged about 1 foot above the hammock on a separate ridgeline. Other campers nearby in tents had to get up in the night to dig small trenches around the tents to direct the water away from them.
    I had just enough room to sit on a small tripod campchair under the tarp. It would be better to have a slightly bigger rectangular tarp such as the OES Maccat if it rained all day...A little more room under the tarp would be great. a second set of snake skins to fold up the hammock in rain conditions would also work well.

Picture taken before rainfall started.
    Well, there it is again. Yet another person reporting bone dry conditions with the lowly HH stock tarp! And I guess not even using a SS!

And, not even attached to the hammock but tied to the trees with the hammock ridge well above the hammock.

I'm always kind of surprised when I read these reports, but this is not the first. It is really hard to beat the stock system considering weight and cost.

Did you have much wind or sideways rain? If so, how was the tarp in wind, noise wise?

Did you have the tarp pitched wide, as in your picture, during the storm?

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast