hennessy hex tarp
    Insulation
    roll matt
    Suspension
    karabiner
    Quote Originally Posted by linksgard2 View Post
    300 lbs weight limit
    mosquito net
    somewhere to put my stuff to keep it off the ground(poket or something)
    included tarp
    around 250 US$ but i might be able to go 300
    weight of the hammock is not an issue

these are the ones i've been recommended
    http://hennessyhammock.com/specs-explorerDL_zip.html
    http://www.junglehammock.com/store/p...2&cat=4&page=1

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    this is my original post:

Hey, I'm just getting started in hammock camping, and I am wondering which one should I go with. the Clark UltraLight Jungle Hammock, the Hennessy Hammock Explorer Deluxe A-sym, or the Warbonnet Blackbird Double Layer 1.7oz. I weigh 210lbs. and would like to have a strong hammock so i can put my pack (between 25-50lbs including pad and sleeping bag) ether in or on my hammock. As I said I am new to hammock camping and do not have any gear special to hammock camping, so i also need a tarp, and suspension gear . And It would be nice to have a pocket on the bottom of the hammock so i could store gear in it, but if it doesn't have one I can add one. the only problem with that is that i am not totally confident in my sewing skills. my price range is $250. the climate i live(north central Texas)in is usually humid and rarely drops below 40 even on winter nights. Also, in case you didn't know , Texas is a mosquito farm in the summer, a junebug colony in the winter, and spider-land during the whole year.
    again, i only have experience of the hennessy. but it seems to encompass the things you are after.

depending on your height and weight, you could use the expedition and save yourself a hundred usd... of if you went for the explorer youd still save yourself 50usd... you can put that towards something else, like an underquilt to make it more comfortable...

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 DBL & GT Single & nano-7
    Tarp
    Poly Camo 8x10
    Insulation
    KAQLostRiver & Pad
    Suspension
    OEM&WhoopieSlings
    300 lbs weight limit
    mosquito net
    somewhere to put my stuff to keep it off the ground(poket or something)
    included tarp
    around 250 US$ but i might be able to go 300
    weight of the hammock is not an issue
    linksgard2 -
    300lb weight limit was one of the factors that lead to my 'short list'
    Warbonnets Blackbird - http://www.warbonnetoutdoors.com/blackbirds.php
    Claytor's Jungle Hammock - http://www.mosquitohammock.com/
    Tree to Tree's Switchback - http://stores.tttrailgear.com/-strse...ear/Detail.bok

All three have an intergrated bug net.

only the Claytor comes with a fly at purchase, but with a $250 - $300 budget you have some options available.

You mention needing 'somewhere to put your gear' meaning your pack etc. depending on your pack, the footbox in a WBBB may be your best option. with any of the other hammocks I can think of (excluding maybe the Chrysalis) your gear isn't likely to make it inside your hammock with you. Consider a 'gear hammock', it'd be an easy DIY project... are you considering where you'll be keeping your food? in the hammock with you is not an option.

Hammock
    byer parachute
    Tarp
    Zeltbahn
    Insulation
    sleeping bag + pad
    wetware1967, my pack is a large Alice pack, and by storing my gear i mean the pockets on the outside of the Clark or possibly putting a few things into an area where a pad would usually go. and no i was not going to put food in my hammock, i learn from other peoples mistakes.
    Last edited by linksgard2; 08-11-2010 at 20:34.

Hammock
    Warbonnet BB
    Tarp
    Speer winter
    Suspension
    webbing
    Images
    btw, I have decided to make it a battle between the HH and the Clark. The Clark having what I want in a hammock , and the HH having the high ratings (and its cheaper).
    I went the same (HH won) until I laid in a WBBB. In anycase, they all provide good hangs, I just favor the WBBB now for the interior space.
    -b

"There's no point in being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes." - Dr Who

my scouting resources

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 DL
    Tarp
    OES Maccat Deluxe
    Insulation
    UGO
    Suspension
    Stock
    Linksgard2:

Your post, and this thread, well reflects how frustrating it can be researching one's first hammock purchase. I camp in your neck of thewoods and have purchased everything except a hammock, in making the transition to a "hanger".
    My list has been narrowed to either the HH Explorer with side entry (I want a double layer bottom though-for a pad), or a WBB.
    Am ordering HH if I can get the dbl bottom. I can always upgrade to the WBB during their slow season - if he has one. The wait for a WBB can be a while.

Hammock
    Warbonnet BB!
    Tarp
    MacCat Deluxe
    Insulation
    JRB HR (2)
    You don't need to store the pack or additional gear on the hammock. When I am out I frequently hang the pack from the head end or foot end of the Blackbird. I have a multi-use pack cover/gear hammock that lets me hang it separate from the hammock so it does not affect the lay of the hammock. Another way is to put the pack cover on and put pack on the ground under the hammock - all food is stored elsewhere, since I am required to use a bear canister 95% of the time where I go, so bugs and critters leave it alone.

The only place I ever pull the pack into the hammock with me is when I am in Yosemite in regions where bears have been very active - they will drag away a pack even when it contains no food, because they have learned what a pack is on sight. I slept with the pack under my feet in the footbox. Recently read a trip report where a guy hanging the pack on the hammock whipping had a bear tugging it off - he chased it, fortunately the bear dropped the pack. I have heard no less than four personal accounts of this just in the last couple of months. So just be aware of animals and whether they are an issue where you are camping. On the coast, here in California, it's raccoons that will drag stuff off...

Hammock
    Switchback/DD Superlight
    Tarp
    BDD/DDH SL
    Insulation
    JRBShen/AHE/DDH UB
    Suspension
    Straps/DC-DDH susp
    When I was researching, two comments about the Clark that put me off were that you sleep banana style as it is difficult to get a good diagnoal lay and that the integrated fly was a bit small.

Have you checked out the Switchback? Has the advantage of spreader bars to open up the interior and you can turn around while inside the hammock (switching back!).

someone posted the link a few messages ago.

HH Deep Jungle XL or Warbonnet. i would suggest buying one of each. And bring a guest.

Hammock
    DIY DigiCamo Hennessy Clone
    Tarp
    DIY Hex tarp
    Insulation
    Modded CCF Pad
    Suspension
    Whoopies!
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by jtbradyl View Post
    HH Deep Jungle XL or Warbonnet. i would suggest buying one of each. And bring a guest.

He he, if your budget can afford it, go go.
    Fulfillment is living a life that makes the lives of others worth living.
    DIY is addicting and fulfilling!
    "If guns kill people, then pencils mispell words, cars cause people to drink and drive, and spoons made Rosie O'donnell fat."

Hammock
    Warbonnets!
    Tarp
    OES, WB
    Insulation
    Crowsnest, Leighs
    Suspension
    Webbing & Buckles
    I haven't tried a Clark. I have owned a Claytor. I still own a HH & a BB & a Traveler. I liked the Claytor, I LOVE the Warbonnets. The HH is alright I guess. It's not a keeper to me. It'll be leaving soon... I just prefer to spend my money whenever possible on superior products made here in the USA. The Warbonnets are the best I've tried personally, hands down.
    It's only an addiction if you're trying to quit

• + New Posts
  • Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast