Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Images

Uses for Second hammock

Please give me your thoughts on using a claytor Jungle hammock, turned upside down, with a 44 inch pad (the width of the Claytor hammock) in the pad comparment underneath a Clark Jungle hammock?

I have found myself with two Claytor Hammocks I don't need because I have purchased two Clark hammocks for me and my son. I am attempting to sell them, but now I'm thinking I might be able to put them to use as underquilts or undercovers with pads inserted.. I wouldn't need to pack the tarp, but the hammock would add about 3 lbs to my pack. I would only use them this way in winter camping, but they might eliminate the need for extra sleeping clothing or other cold weather gear.

Images
    If I'm camping in the winter I'll carry the extra clothing. Its cheap insurance and unlike the extra hammock can be used for other times and situations. 3 lbs of down clothing is a LOT of warmth.

Hammock
    DD modular jungle hammock
    Tarp
    wilderness logics
    Insulation
    wilderness logics
    Suspension
    whoopie sling
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by nogods View Post
    Please give me your thoughts on using a claytor Jungle hammock, turned upside down, with a 44 inch pad (the width of the Claytor hammock) in the pad comparment underneath a Clark Jungle hammock?

I have found myself with two Claytor Hammocks I don't need because I have purchased two Clark hammocks for me and my son. I am attempting to sell them, but now I'm thinking I might be able to put them to use as underquilts or undercovers with pads inserted.. I wouldn't need to pack the tarp, but the hammock would add about 3 lbs to my pack. I would only use them this way in winter camping, but they might eliminate the need for extra sleeping clothing or other cold weather gear.
    i only need one hammock,i bet ya can guess that one easily neo

Hammock
    Tarp
    wilderness logics
    Insulation
    wilderness logics
    Suspension
    whoopie sling
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Rapt View Post
    If I'm camping in the winter I'll carry the extra clothing. Its cheap insurance and unlike the extra hammock can be used for other times and situations. 3 lbs of down clothing is a LOT of warmth.
    i love my down vest

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/te...0005049921565a

love my down jacket to, love the price to neo

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/te...cket&noImage=0

Images
    That's very inexpensive for a down vest. I almost ordered one but then I notived that it looks like the baffles are swen through which would create heat loss highways.

I don't use down coats, instead I layer for insulation with an outer parka. I just retired my 60-40 parka last year that I bought in the early 1970's. I gave my down vest from the same era to my son because, like so many of my other camping clothing, it seems to shrunk.

Hammock
    Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    Just my opinion nogods, but that seems like a lot of extra weight to carry for insulation. You'd be better off making a simple gear hammock and stuffing leaves and such into it when you really need a few more degrees of warmth. It would only cost you a few ounces and be at least as effective.

Besides, you may need that extra clothing when you aren't sleeping. You could carry a lot of luxuries with 3 lbs.! Ha! Never thought I'd say that 6 months ago.

Hammock
    Tarp
    wilderness logics
    Insulation
    wilderness logics
    Suspension
    whoopie sling
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by nogods View Post
    That's very inexpensive for a down vest. I almost ordered one but then I notived that it looks like the baffles are swen through which would create heat loss highways.

I don't use down coats, instead I layer for insulation with an outer parka. I just retired my 60-40 parka last year that I bought in the early 1970's. I gave my down vest from the same era to my son because, like so many of my other camping clothing, it seems to shrunk.
    sewn threw yes,but still excellent quality and excellent price neo

Hammock
    Tarp
    wilderness logics
    Insulation
    wilderness logics
    Suspension
    whoopie sling
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Cannibal View Post
    Just my opinion nogods, but that seems like a lot of extra weight to carry for insulation. You'd be better off making a simple gear hammock and stuffing leaves and such into it when you really need a few more degrees of warmth. It would only cost you a few ounces and be at least as effective.

Besides, you may need that extra clothing when you aren't sleeping. You could carry a lot of luxuries with 3 lbs.! Ha! Never thought I'd say that 6 months ago.
    i used leaves in poncho liner underquilt a couple years back down to upper 20,s no problem neo

Hammock
    Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    That's a heck of a deal on a down vest neo! How long has it lasted you so far? I'm always nervous when deals are that good! Steepandcheap gives me convulsions!

Hammock
    Tarp
    wilderness logics
    Insulation
    wilderness logics
    Suspension
    whoopie sling
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Cannibal View Post
    That's a heck of a deal on a down vest neo! How long has it lasted you so far? I'm always nervous when deals are that good! Steepandcheap gives me convulsions!
    2 years and still looks like new neo

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast