HH, CJH NX-250, WBBB 1.7 dbl
    Tarp
    Std, Hex, or WBSF
    Insulation
    Burrows&Incubators
    Suspension
    Poly web w/AHE buc

NX-250 test hang

Well, the box was not full of Clark Bars........

With no chance for an over-nighter, I trekked out to the local State Forest for a test hang. I had already planned on swapping the ropes for straps, so that was a quick job with the pre-stitched webbing I had already sewn.

Dropped two pole sections on the grass (one for each end!) and realized that there may be a better way. Modifications are pending. One way or another, I will sew a pole bag for storage. At the very least I will add some reflective tape to each section for nighttime sets.

Unzip the weather cover and bug netting. Hey, where are the pockets for storage of these items? The website sez there are two pockets and my hammock has none! Defective! Oh, wait - the end fabric appears to be doubled......Ooopsie - there they are, neatly tucked flush with the zippers. Mystery solved.

Time to settle in for a test lie. Ooopsie agaain - too much sag. Tighten web,have a second go of it. Comfy, but feet need to be higher, so out I go again. This time all seems well.

Giant Deer Flies are buzzing outside, so it is time to zip the netting. Ugh. Us Big Guys have a hard time reaching the zipper pulls. Need to do more (some) sit-ups. Safe from the Flying Onslaught, initial impression is "Roomy!" Netting is waaaayyyyy above my head, unlike my Hennessey. Not that I had a problem with the HH, but if one had claustrophobic leanings the Clark would be a better choice.

Also, "Good shoulder room!" No pinching whatsoever, and I am broad in the shoulder. Definately a plus for Big Guys.

As I suspected from previous threads and questions, the Clark does not lend itself to an extreme diagonal lie. That is OK, as it seemed to be quite comfy with just a little diagonal direction.

Side sleeping? Does not seem to be a problem. I was able to find a position about 3/4 of the way from supine that made my back happy. It appears that I will need only a thin pillow to obtain a good night's sleep.

My test hang occurred mid-day Saturday. Stinkin' hot and humid. Sooner than I would have liked I was forced to open the netting for a breath of fresh air. Hey, I like the idea of being able to open the netting! (Definately going to get the mod on my HH this winter.) Now, if I can engineer an exhaust fan to fit in a small unzipped section of zipper...........

The XLfly that was included appeared to be reasonably generous in coverage. I appreciated the hook & loop pieces which allow closing up the ends during inclement weather. The cat cut appears to pitch nice and tight.

Likes: Great workmanship. Careful attention to packing the box (really!). Integrated design. Many included options.

Dislikes (minor): Weather cover lacks inside zipper pull tabs. This may or may not be an aggravation. Inside pockets: A bit smallish, difficult to slip my wire-rimmed glasses into. Probably going to hang a REI tent pocket from the interior loop.

Confusing: Clark logos are at the head of the hammock body, so finding the head end in the dark is easy. But the fly's logo is at the foot end - great for pictures, but one more bit of info to remember in the dark. I will add reflective cord tassels to jog my feeble mind.

Observation: The exterior pockets definately do reduce or eliminate any cooling effect that is seen in single bottom hammocks. I was expecting as such, and had planned on the Clark as being my "shoulder season" rig. I am seriously considering Clark's insulation system.

1st day mods: I like a separate ridgeline for my tarps and added one ASAP. This freed up two pieces of the included guyline material, and one became a non-structural ridgeline and the other became eight generous zipper pull fobs.

I did not spend as much time in the Clark as I wanted, as the 90+ weather at midday simply was not condusive to hammocking. Sure, I could have left the netting unzipped, but those Deer Flies, and the mozzies that arrived shortly afterward were not hospitable. And I was loathe to use insect repellant in a new piece of gear.

All in all, I am very pleased!

Jim
    Last edited by Jsaults; 08-17-2010 at 06:57.

Hammock
    WB Ridgerunner, Dangerbird
    Tarp
    Big Daddy
    Insulation
    HG 3 Season/IX UQ
    Suspension
    Straps
    Images
    I hang my glasses from the loop right above your head.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1 Dbl
    Tarp
    OES Sil Winter Tar
    Insulation
    HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Webbing/Rings
    Sounds like a happy hammocker! I got my suspension/ridgeline tuned in and it is a comfortable little critter. I like being able to slide the netting all the way open and have myself a comfortable seat. I have no pockets inside mine, so I'll rig up an internal hanging line and get some of those tent pockets you mentioned. Can't wait to try it out up in NC this weekend.

Hammock
    Tarp
    Std, Hex, or WBSF
    Insulation
    Burrows&Incubators
    Suspension
    Poly web w/AHE buc

REI Schwag Pockets

REI has them on sale - I figure they are on closeout.

Jim

forgot link:

http://www.rei.com/product/681993

Hammock
    Clark NX-200
    Tarp
    Clark Vertex
    Congratulations on the purchase and thanks for the review of the NX-250. Hopefully I won't be disappointed with my purchase of the NX-200. I did a lot of debating back and forth between the 200 and 250.

TSW

Hammock
    Tarp
    Std, Hex, or WBSF
    Insulation
    Burrows&Incubators
    Suspension
    Poly web w/AHE buc

Outdoor Nut:

How are you attaching your Amsteel to the fabric tunnels?

In some post here the author suggested that a Larkshead should not be used on the Clark tunnel design because it causes the fabric to bunch and does not allow it to "self-adjust" the way it would within the loop of the stock bowline.

My wweb strap has a sewn loop which I Larksheaded and I can see signs of the bunching. This weekend I will be playing with some form of alternative suspension attachment that allows for the fabric to self-adjust. Maybe webbing, maybe Amsteel in a spliced loop.

Ahhh, the joy of customization!

Jim

Hammock
    Clark TX 250
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Superfly
    Insulation
    HG Incubator
    Suspension
    straps
    Jsaults:
    For the loop above your head there is a matching one above your feet. a length of para-cord between the 2 and pinch stops to adjust it makes a good clothesline to hang "stuff" on. Only drawback is, what you hang on it beats on your head upon entry/exit of the hammock. Tinker on!

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1 Dbl
    Tarp
    OES Sil Winter Tar
    Insulation
    HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Webbing/Rings
    Hey J-

I larksheaded one end of my 18" doubled loop around my SMC rings, ran it through the channel, and larksheaded again around the rings. I tied the loop after dressing the 2nd larkshead, that way they would be separated and not bunched together. The ridgeline is bowlined between the larksheads. BTW, the doubled loop required 87 inches of amsteel to get the 18" from rings to channel. That lets the netting hang just right from the ridgeline, but you may get away with a shorter loop since you have the hoops. Take a look at Raw's posting (on about page 4 of the Clark forum) about adding a structural ridgeline to an Nx-200- he has good pics that I mimicked for my set up. My ridgeline is way longer than 101", but it was too saggy at 101- luckily I left some extra length at the end.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12