Hammock
    UNO Double Nest
    Tarp
    OES 10 X 12
    Insulation
    MW3 & Hudson River
    Suspension
    Whoopie Sling
    Thanks, beep & dejoha... I guess that experience will be the final teacher... this information will greatly shorten the learning cureve!!!!

Hammock
    Most
    Tarp
    Sea to Summit
    Insulation
    Down
    Suspension
    Becket Hitch
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Knotty View Post
    dejoha - Missed this when you first posted but didn't want to miss the opportunity to thank you for yet another great illustration.
    Thanks knotty! Lots of inspirational stuff here.

Hammock
    DIY 1.1 whipped ends
    Tarp
    DIY 10'x12' Sil
    Suspension
    Whoopie SLS
    Stumbled upon this illustration today when researching tree distances to make a new SLS. I was not surprised to find another excellent illustration from dejoha.

I'll be happy to buy you that slice of pizza and a beer to go with it!

BTW, the new hammock should be complete tonight (I got my Amsteel yesterday and started making slings), so we could get together for the mini noAZ hang soon. If it starts snowing again, I may need to wait until I get those quilts made though.
    Life is hard? Compared to what?

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    OES
    Insulation
    YETI & JRB quilts
    Suspension
    straps and buckle.
    HMM..this could explain why some nights I sleep well in my hammock and other nights not so? (temp not being a factor) I may have been stringing it to tight. I would guess this applies only to gatherd end hammocks? How about the bear bridge?

Hammock
    HH Deep Jungle XL
    Tarp
    Hex Fly / Stock HH
    Insulation
    3SBurrow/Incubator
    Suspension
    WS's/ET's
    Thanks so much for another great illustration, Dejoha! I save all of them as well.

Hammock
    Most
    Tarp
    Sea to Summit
    Insulation
    Down
    Suspension
    Becket Hitch
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by hikelite View Post
    BTW, the new hammock should be complete tonight (I got my Amsteel yesterday and started making slings), so we could get together for the mini noAZ hang soon. If it starts snowing again, I may need to wait until I get those quilts made though.
    Thanks hikelite! You know, these past few weeks have been unbelievably warm for Flagstaff -- we should see about an S24O before the snow Let me know when the UQs are finished.

Quote Originally Posted by chillyhiker View Post
    HMM..this could explain why some nights I sleep well in my hammock and other nights not so? (temp not being a factor) I may have been stringing it to tight. I would guess this applies only to gatherd end hammocks? How about the bear bridge?
    The 30° angle rule would apply to any hammock, I believe, since the forces applied would be the same. I know many hammocks use structural ridgelines to help ensure the lay of the hammock is perfect, but it doesn't help achieve the 30° angle for the suspension, so you would have to watch for that.

Hammock
    DIY Table Cloth/ Jerry 5
    Tarp
    11x12' Hex Sil
    Insulation
    Various UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    Webbing or Etrunks
    Images
    Wouldn't the tension on the suspension lines play a factor. If you were to put a great deal of tension on say a whoopie or webbing wouldn't that create a different angle as compared to a very slack suspension line?

Hammock
    G-Bird II/Bridge
    Tarp
    Ogee tarp
    Insulation
    DIY TQ DIY Down UQ
    Suspension
    whoopies
    Images
    Packeagle,
    You are correct.
    Overtightening the suspension puts more stress on the suspension and the hammock fabric.
    Try to maintain the 30* downward slope on the suspension lines for best results.

There is a good graphic around showing the math and forces applied as the angles change. 30* is the best recommended angle.
    Ambulo tua ambulo.

Hammock
    DIY 1.1 whipped ends
    Tarp
    DIY 10'x12' Sil
    Suspension
    Whoopie SLS
    Quote Originally Posted by dejoha View Post
    Thanks hikelite! You know, these past few weeks have been unbelievably warm for Flagstaff -- we should see about an S24O before the snow Let me know when the UQs are finished.
    I was test hanging the new hammock this weekend out in the forest. It felt like Summer!

I haven't even started ordering materials for a quilt. It will be awhile. I haven't even settled on a design yet. I mostly know what I want to do, but I want to do a little more research first. :P

I did finish off the whoopie sling suspension last night, so the new hammock is officially finished.

The new slings work great. I made them from 15' of Amsteel. I think they go as long as ~7.5', so they are a little longer than normal. I'd rather have a long tail hanging on the ground than have the sling not able to reach the tree hugger!

My outdoor stand is made of pipe, so I didn't have an easy way to attach the loops on the whoopies. I decided to install a couple hooks in the bedroom we use as an office. I love how easy it is to adjust now. I didn't love the hook bending and dropping me on my butt. :P A trip to the hardware store should solve that problem.
    Life is hard? Compared to what?

Hammock
    DIY Table Cloth/ Jerry 5
    Tarp
    11x12' Hex Sil
    Insulation
    Various UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    Webbing or Etrunks
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by gargoyle View Post
    Packeagle,
    You are correct.
    Overtightening the suspension puts more stress on the suspension and the hammock fabric.
    Try to maintain the 30* downward slope on the suspension lines for best results.
    With that being said, wouldn't the hang height be irrelevant at any distance and suspension line tension be the main factor? I know that visibly that has more effect on the angle of my lines than how high I hang it. I believe that hight must be the main factor or this wouldn't have been posted. I just don't understand how this helps the angle.

• + New Posts
  • Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast