GrizzBridge Rhino
    Tarp
    Speer Winter Tarp
    Insulation
    HammockGear TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings

Bear Mountain Bridge Hammock

I am still "hanging out" on the forum, soaking up the wisdom from all you experienced hangers before I start purchasing my gear. I still have to wait until Spring 2011 before I begin to buy. This is good because I have changed my mind several times since wanting to take up hammocking. I have done a DIY gathered end hammock and find it satisfactory. But, in Shug's last video he mentioned a bridge hammock and I began to look in that direction. I think bridge hammocks may be more suitable to the way I like to sleep . . . on my side. I would like to hear from some of you who own the JRB hammock. There was one Youtube video by Eric Kaplan that has brought some concerns to my attention. The stitching is one. His hammock had some pretty bad stitching. The other concern on the video was the use of velcro to attach the bug netting. The JRB website mentions zippers now, so this concern is perhaps remedied. Any information you guy's offer will be greatly appreciated.

Hammock
    DIY Hennessey A-sym
    Tarp
    JRB Cat Tarp
    Insulation
    3S Crowsnest
    Suspension
    Webbing / Amsteel
    I am looking forward to hearing some answers because I too am interested in the bridge hammocks and am thinking about purchasing one

Hammock
    GrizzBridge Ariel
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Winter
    Insulation
    DIY UQ
    Images
    There are a number of BMBH enthusiasts here and I trust they will chime in when they see the thread title.

The bridge hammock shug is using is a DIY one that is wider and shallower than the BMBH. You can learn more about bridge hammocks in general, and this alternative design in particular, by popping over to my youtube channel whose link is found in my signature below. The backstory on bridge hammocks is in the older videos "A Brief History on DIY Bridge Hammocks...". Interestingly, a patent was obtained early in the 20th century on the suspension idea. A couple of years ago a number of us made replicas of hammocks from old patents and I did a video on that one too (but on a different channel, here it is).

I hadn't been aware that JRB changed their netting design to be zippered on three sides with stow-away on the fourth. Great idea!

In my experience (both with the BMBH and DIY designs) sleeping on the side is great, provided that you don't want to curl. The price of a very flat lay in one dimension is that your movements are more constrained in the other (side-to-side) than in a wide gathered end hammock with lots of sag.

The feel of a bridge hammock is different. If you don't have a lot of experience with a gathered end hammock already then it won't seem "strange". Some folks with a lot of gathered end experience under their butt don't take to it, others who highly value support of the back, do.

cheers
    Last edited by GrizzlyAdams; 09-19-2010 at 09:32.
    Grizz
    (alias ProfessorHammock on youtube)

Hammock
    JRB James River Bridge
    Tarp
    JRB 11 X 10
    Insulation
    JRB Quilts
    Suspension
    Webbing, TG, DC
    I've been using my JRB BMBH for about three years now. Prior to that I had used a Hennesy Explorer ultralight for about two years.

The stitching on mine is great.

The velcro is actually omni-tape so it doesn't snag on clothing.

At 6'3" 200 lbs I comfortably sleep on my side.

I can't say enough about how great the BMBH is. I'm constantly shocked that it doesn't get as much attention as other hammocks on here.

Let me know if there are any other specific questions you may have.

Hammock
    Blackbird
    Tarp
    MacCat Standard
    Insulation
    Winter Yeti, MWUQ4
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    The BMBH didn't fit my style b/c I like to curl up on my side, but the quality was excellent.
    “Republics are created by the virtue, public spirit, and intelligence of the citizens. They fall when the wise are banished from the public councils because they dare to be honest, and the profligate are rewarded because they flatter the people, in order to betray them.” ~Judge Joseph Story

- My site: http://www.tothewoods.net/
    - Designer, Jeff's Gear Hammock / Pack Cover by JRB

IMPOSSIBLE JUST TAKES LONGER

Hammock
    Warbonnet BB
    Tarp
    Custom OES BatCave
    Insulation
    JRB quilts
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    I really like my JRB bridge hammock. I also have a gathered end hammock and find myself using that a lot lately. The only thing I dislike about the bridge is the one thing that makes the bridge possible...the spreader bars. I just dont like putting those long ridged poles in my pack. I'm guessing as the weather cools down into UQ weather I will switch back to the bridge. It is an idiot proof design for hanging under quilts.

Hammock
    GrizzBridge Rhino
    Tarp
    Speer Winter Tarp
    Insulation
    HammockGear TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Thanks for the replies so far everyone . . .

Grizz, I liked the video on the vintage hammock. I have added it to my favorites. I am sure when I have the time I will try making some stuff on my own. Especially tarps and quilts.

Roadtorque, Would it be possible to use hiking poles for spreader bars with the BMBH? There must be some ingenious way to do this.

Hammock
    DIY,WBBB,DutchBridge
    Tarp
    Cuben,Superfly
    Insulation
    Quilts :P
    Suspension
    Dutchware
    i had a BMBH and they are very nice hammocks ....well made and can take a beating ....you can't go wrong
    It puts the Underquilt on it's hammock ... It does this whenever it gets cold

Hammock
    WL Snipe
    Tarp
    WB, ZPacks
    Insulation
    Incubators/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoppie/Strap
    Images
    I have a BMBH and a WBBB. I think side sleeping will work with either. Where I find the Bridge shines is when I want to sleep on my stomach. Can't really do that in a gather end. If you don't need to sleep face down, you don't need a bridge. My problem is that I need to start off sleeping face down then I can roll over and sleep any which way. I've been trying to sleep as much as I can in my Blackbird to get used to it so I can use it more.

Don't get me wrong, the BMBH is a fine and wonderful hammock. In some cases like mine, the only option if you want to sleep face down. It is well built, but the drawbacks are in my opinion are the weight, the omnitape, tippy when used with a pad, less room to move around and less storage options. I suppose that if you can use your hiking poles in the setup you could cut down on the weight. I just looked at the site and can't fine mention of the zipper option. I think that is still a thrid party mod.

Good luck in your search!

~ S

Hammock
    WB RR
    Tarp
    WB Cloudburst
    Insulation
    DownMat 9
    Suspension
    Cinch buckles
    Images
    Second what Sidewinder said.

I didn't like the webbing suspension - so I took it out. It is wobbly, especially with my Exped downmat 9. It's also prone to swinging when using as thick a pad as that. The omnitape is a bit of a bother - so now I usually just fasten the top half and let the bottom half lie by itself.

But, I still love it. I haven't treated it very well, to be honest, but aside from the cigarette burn (I know, I should be ashamed of myself. For ashing in the hammock. ) which I fixed with Tear Aid, it shows no signs of wear and tear. I sleep like a baby in it. It truly is a flat wonder of the world.
    - Tanstaafl.
    - Whoever said "No smoke without fire" never went camping.
    - It's just badass to have a yak.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast