HH Exped
    Tarp
    Chinook 12' x 9'6"
    Insulation
    Exped Synmat 7
    Suspension
    Rings/garda hitch

Claytor or DD?

I like the features of both the Claytor jungle hammock and the DD Travel hammock. The price is comparable and the differences seem pretty small.

DD hammock: Has the double zip and velcro to hold the double layer closed. Looks to be a little shorter but also a little wider. I'm 5' 11", so this is probably a plus as I figure the width would give a more diagonal lay.

Claytor JH: Comes with a tarp and is in cool camo! But, for only 7 dollars more, I can get the 3m x 3m DD tarp with the hammock which looks like it can be setup in multiple ways. I've read that the extra length makes for a very comfortable lay, but again I'm not sure if I need the slight difference. According to the specs from each web page, it looks like the Claytor may weigh a little less than the DD, but they are both heavy so not sure if that would make much difference.

So, I'd like to hear from any that have tried both. I'm leaning towards the DD, but I'd like to hear if there are nuances that aren't apparent from the web page descriptions and good reviews for both here on HF. Any opinions would be well appreciated!

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird
    Tarp
    Cuben rag
    Insulation
    Winter Yeti
    Suspension
    webbing/buckle
    Images
    I have Claytor Mosquito Hammock and a cheep DD hammock and i think
    the Claytor has a nicer finish and nicer material.

But both those hammocks are my lend outs,
    i tend to sleep in my Warbonnet BB.

And i just ordered a Warbonnet traveler to be on the safe side

EDIT:
    I just went over to http://www.mosquitohammock.com/ and saw that the price was $150 for the Claytor jungle hammock.
    And $143 for the DD ?

Please, slow down and at least consider Warbonnet Blackbird !
    It cost $160 - $175 and are made in the US
    You won't regret it !
    Last edited by moski; 08-12-2010 at 13:52.
    Moski, who no longer feels the Secret Ninja Ski emptiness..............
    B/C he got them now

Hammock
    DD Traveler + GT UL
    Tarp
    DD+HH sil UL
    Insulation
    DD UQ + CCF pad
    Suspension
    Whoopie
    Including shipping to NY a DD Traveler from the AND tarp direct from the DD website would be $157.

Just looked at the Warbonnet site, the cheapest Blackbird would appear to be $160. Shipping to my area is an additional $11... and you still need a tarp.

Not knocking the BB *at all*, I've hung with several BB-hangers and they're obviously top-notch (if I had it to do over again I might have gone that way, and can't rule out ordering one in the future). Just saying they aren't apples-to-apples, pricing wise. I've been well-satisfied with the DD although most folks will want better suspension sooner-than-later.

Quote Originally Posted by moski View Post
    I have Claytor Mosquito Hammock and a cheep DD hammock and i think
    the Claytor has a nicer finish and nicer material.

But both those hammocks are my lend outs,
    i tend to sleep in my Warbonnet BB.

And i just ordered a Warbonnet traveler to be on the safe side

EDIT:
    I just went over to http://www.mosquitohammock.com/ and saw that the price was $150 for the Claytor jungle hammock.
    And $143 for the DD ?

Please, slow down and at least consider Warbonnet Blackbird !
    It cost $160 - $175 and are made in the US
    You won't regret it !

Hammock
    DD Frontline
    Tarp
    DIY Nylon
    Insulation
    CCF pad
    Suspension
    AHE webbing
    The DD Frontline has served me well.
    (I'm 5'6' - 170#)
    The double bottom is nice for a CCF pad, and the hammock is very good quality.

No experience with the others.
    wabi

Hammock
    HH Exped
    Tarp
    Chinook 12' x 9'6"
    Insulation
    Exped Synmat 7
    Suspension
    Rings/garda hitch
    I plan to purchase a Warbonnet in the future. I still have 6 months until I will be able to get a job, so funds will be available later...I need another hammock now :-) I think I can sell the idea of either of these hammocks to my wife over the WBBB for several reasons:

1. She doesn't know anything about hammocks and her eyes glass over when I start babbling about the cool features, so the WBBB's superiority won't mean squat to her.

2. She is more likely to go for these hammocks as they can easily be used without the net just by flipping it over (She doesn't like my Hennessy due to the ridgeline) She could lounge in one of these in traditional hammock style (I can always get an adjustable structural ridgeline).

3. The bivy option (though I hope to never use it!) would speak to her (very) pragmatic side and the lower price includes a tarp!

I agree, though. If I had my druthers I'd already have the blackbird (and underquilts, and top quilts, and tarps, and all kinds of suspension...) but for now I may have to go the budget route.

Besides...one can never have too many hammocks, right? I can always use my Claytor or DD as a loaner when I introduce my buddies to hammock camping (along with my Hennessy and terrible, terrible Parrot Bay Deluxe).

Thanks all for the feedback so far!

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird
    Tarp
    Cuben rag
    Insulation
    Winter Yeti
    Suspension
    webbing/buckle
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Hamper View Post
    I plan to purchase a Warbonnet in the future. I still have 6 months until I will be able to get a job, so funds will be available later...I need another hammock now :-) I think I can sell the idea of either of these hammocks to my wife over the WBBB for several reasons:

1. She doesn't know anything about hammocks and her eyes glass over when I start babbling about the cool features, so the WBBB's superiority won't mean squat to her.

2. She is more likely to go for these hammocks as they can easily be used without the net just by flipping it over (She doesn't like my Hennessy due to the ridgeline) She could lounge in one of these in traditional hammock style (I can always get an adjustable structural ridgeline).

3. The bivy option (though I hope to never use it!) would speak to her (very) pragmatic side and the lower price includes a tarp!

I agree, though. If I had my druthers I'd already have the blackbird (and underquilts, and top quilts, and tarps, and all kinds of suspension...) but for now I may have to go the budget route.

Besides...one can never have too many hammocks, right? I can always use my Claytor or DD as a loaner when I introduce my buddies to hammock camping (along with my Hennessy and terrible, terrible Parrot Bay Deluxe).

Thanks all for the feedback so far!
    Ok , i hear you

But i want to see pics of a :
    terrible, terrible Parrot Bay Deluxe
    Moski, who no longer feels the Secret Ninja Ski emptiness..............
    B/C he got them now

Hammock
    DIY Pertex
    Tarp
    DIY with doors on
    Insulation
    Down and synthetic
    Suspension
    Whoopies & hooks
    Im 6.0 and although I've not slept in a clark, I certainly wouldn't want the DD any narrower. The length has been fine for me though.

Hammock
    HH Exped
    Tarp
    Chinook 12' x 9'6"
    Insulation
    Exped Synmat 7
    Suspension
    Rings/garda hitch
    Quote Originally Posted by turnerminator View Post
    Im 6.0 and although I've not slept in a clark, I certainly wouldn't want the DD any narrower. The length has been fine for me though.
    That's kind of what I was thinking. The shorter length might also make it easier for tarp coverage.

Has anyone had experience with the DD tarp?

P.S. I do have some descending rings and straps with which I plan to replace stock suspension of which ever one I get.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1 Dbl
    Tarp
    OES MacCat Deluxe
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images
    The DD tarp is fine. It isn't the lightest but it is super strong and versatile.

Swapping out or modifying the DD suspension is a must. It is probably the only let down with the package. I did look at the Claytor as well but went with the DD since there is a local distributor which saved me a small fortune on freight. I have had many restful nights in my DD but it has been demoted to my backup since the WBBB arrived.

Hammock
    DIY Pertex
    Tarp
    DIY with doors on
    Insulation
    Down and synthetic
    Suspension
    Whoopies & hooks
    It isn't the lightest but it is super strong and versatile.
    +1 on that. My 3x3 has survived 70mph winds.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast