Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

two hammocks are better than one?

ok folks have a question about using a second hammock under the one you sleep in as a way of creating a place to put insulation if ya don't have the bucks to buy an uq. anybody tried this in really cold weather? i''ve been doing this the past couple weeks in my yard but it is august and this is texas. so it hasn't been cold AT ALL i've been using a byer of maine 'chute hammock under my treklighjt double to put my wool blanket folded around a fleece sleeping bag liner simply because that's the way i keep it when not using it. i think this is a very viable and cost effective way to replace an uq and you could put whatever type insulation you wanted in the under hammock. leaves even would work i'd think. i did notice a considerable difference in temperature over the first couple times i slept in my treklight without any under insulation so i think this idea would work very well and could be a common man way to make up for the lack of an uq. sorry if this is somewhat wordy but i wanted to get all the info out in one post. so i guess what i'm wanting to know is if anybody has tried a similar setup in cold weather? any advice and previous experience would be appreciated guys thanks.

Hammock
    DIY DigiCamo Hennessy Clone
    Tarp
    DIY Hex tarp
    Insulation
    Modded CCF Pad
    Suspension
    Whoopies!
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by 1stcavmp77 View Post
    ok folks have a question about using a second hammock under the one you sleep in as a way of creating a place to put insulation if ya don't have the bucks to buy an uq. anybody tried this in really cold weather? i''ve been doing this the past couple weeks in my yard but it is august and this is texas. so it hasn't been cold AT ALL i've been using a byer of maine 'chute hammock under my treklighjt double to put my wool blanket folded around a fleece sleeping bag liner simply because that's the way i keep it when not using it. i think this is a very viable and cost effective way to replace an uq and you could put whatever type insulation you wanted in the under hammock. leaves even would work i'd think. i did notice a considerable difference in temperature over the first couple times i slept in my treklight without any under insulation so i think this idea would work very well and could be a common man way to make up for the lack of an uq. sorry if this is somewhat wordy but i wanted to get all the info out in one post. so i guess what i'm wanting to know is if anybody has tried a similar setup in cold weather? any advice and previous experience would be appreciated guys thanks.
    There are double layer hammocks made specifically for this reason. Pretty much exactly what you are talking about.

Keep thinking out of the box though, you just might end up being the next great innovator. It's amazing seeing what this community has come up with over time. A few have spearheaded some amazing ideas.
    Fulfillment is living a life that makes the lives of others worth living.
    DIY is addicting and fulfilling!
    "If guns kill people, then pencils mispell words, cars cause people to drink and drive, and spoons made Rosie O'donnell fat."

Hammock
    Mikey C. Custom Hammocks
    Tarp
    Kelty Noah 12x12
    Insulation
    Mikey C. Easy-Bake
    Images
    Until I purchase a peapod or similar my plan was to use a cheap hammock to snug quilts or sleeping bags underneath my sleeping hammock. I haven't tested this out yet though.

ἑταῖροι
    Hammock
    Switchback
    Tarp
    OES MacCat Ultra
    Insulation
    How cold is it?
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    I've done exactly that and it worked. It's not light exactly light weight and you have to fiddle with it to make sure there aren't gaps, but it will certainly work. And it's CHEAP. Which has some major advantages.

I used a $20 ATHH under a HH Explorer with a cheapo synthetic bag laying in it. I just clipped the ATHH to the suspension of the HH, then used the side tie outs to keep it snugged up against the bottom.

That said, depending on the temps you are probably better off with a pad, just because it's less bulk and easier setup. But that's just my experience.
    Live by the sword, die by the arrow

Hammock
    N/A
    Tarp
    N/A
    Insulation
    N/A
    Suspension
    N/A
    Images
    This is a really great (and simple) idea.

I think this serves a very different purpose than double layer hammocks. A double layer hammock is used to hold a mat or similar thin and low-compressibility insulation in place.

Using a cheap hammock or low-weight poorly made DIY (the kind I would make lol) to hold up a sleeping bag or blanket (very compressible insulation) should work fairly well since you can adjust the tension used to hang that hammock... in fact you could even bungi it to the main hammock since it isn't holding much weight.... me thinks :-P

Thanks for the cool idea - I gotta try this now!

Hammock
    Double layer DIY
    Tarp
    11 x 10 Sil DIY
    Insulation
    DIY Climashield
    Suspension
    webbing and rings
    When I saw the the thread title my first idea was "and three hammocks is better than two!"

If I were to do this I would look at the Grand Trunk Nano 7 as the "under hammock". Packs super small and weighs around 7 oz.

Doc
    I have two doctors, my left leg and my right. ~G.M. Trevelyan

Everywhere is walking distance if you have the time. ~Steven Wright

Hammock
    WBBB; WBRR; WBXLC;HH Exped
    Tarp
    Superfly; JRB Ulti
    Insulation
    HG TQ&UQ; AHE; WB
    Suspension
    Whoopies&Dutchware
    Images
    Well, I have been using a two-sided fleece blanket (one side is outdoor WP fleece, the other is WP nylon) as an UQ, using Grip Clips to place tie-out points, and 10" bungees to connect to the suspension of the hammock. Worked great! I also stuffed slippers and some other things between the blanket and the actual hammock bottom, so it serves the same purpose.

Many ways to skin a cat.
    Live Purposefully; Dare Greatly; Land Gently

If you're going to do something wrong, go for it! - Beryl G.

"Never knock on Death's door - just ring the bell and run. He hates that!"

cool thanks for the info guys. so how cold was it when you used this setup Hetaroi? how warm did it keep you and what did you use for bottom insulation?

Hammock
    ENO, HH ULB, WBBB, GT
    Tarp
    WBSuperfly
    Insulation
    AHELR,Agnes,WInCub
    Suspension
    Cinch,Tglides,Whoo
    I just bought a 2QzQ UQ protector--and I have another one on order for another hammock--that is $25, sil-nylon (so, although may create vapor/condensation, at least is waterproof) and I can use under my hammock to place-ta daaa--a sleeping bag! I'm going to try it, because I can vouch that the UQ Protector is very lightweight (see it on 2QzQ website), but as it attaches to the hammock suspension, should be able to hold up a down bag.

Hammock
    HH Explorer UL
    Tarp
    Chinook 12x10
    Insulation
    AHE Potomac
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    I've been using a cheap hammock under my Hennessy lately to hold my Speer SPE tight to the underside of the HH. I added Prussiks to the HH rope and attached with shock cord. It works very well. There are pics of my setup in my album.

Blair

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast