Using parachute material for a hammock underquilt?

I recently used my hammock for the first tinme in colder weather. I used a thermarest in my sleeping bag, but my sidfes weer still cold where the hammock closed up around me. Ive been looking at underblankets, but there very expensive. I am about to inherit an old parachute, which i am assuming will be silk, its a little damaged and I dont palan on jumping from many planjes, so i was wondering whether it could be used to make a shell for an underblanket, thsi could be fuilled eitehr with down or synthetic stuff or even with a good duvet. Anyone tried this or thought about it, Im nopt sure of the qualities of silk for this, woudl i be better putting a waterproorf layer over the outside of it?

Images
    How old is the parachute? There's a good chance its not silk at all...But a synthetic... What style of chute is it? Round? Shaped with a tubular construction?

Its an old one, its been in my scout group for about 15 years as i know of, its round and various colour segments.

Images
    OK... So its an older style. Beyond that I'm not an expert. Perhaps someone else can chime in.

As for insulation. Use what suits your style and budget. I like down better than synthetics because its warmer and more compressible for its weight. It also lasts MUCH longer, more compression cycles.

Avoid a waterproof outer layer because it'll trap moisture IN the insulation and make it soggy over time. Ruining its insulation value. It has to at least be waterproof and breathable (again expensive), but even they don't work as well on the cold outside of a bag or quilt.

Parachutes haven't been made from silk for sixty years. It is probably 1.9oz ripstop nylon. You'll have to work around the suspension lines to get pieces big enough to work with for a quilt unless it is a huge cargo parachute. It is worth keeping. I've spent quite a few cool nights curled up in a parachute for warmth.

OK, Thanks guys,

So far my gf has an old quilt, she thinks its a winter one, If its any good I might track down a supplier and buyu a shell material and use it as a filler, whats the best material for the shell?

Hammock
    DIY, gathered end , w/ spreader
    Tarp
    JRB Universal
    Insulation
    DAM/ HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Hinton View Post
    OK, Thanks guys,

So far my gf has an old quilt, she thinks its a winter one, If its any good I might track down a supplier and buyu a shell material and use it as a filler, whats the best material for the shell?
    a very light weight nylon, polyester, or something like that, weighing about 1.1ozs per square yard would work fine.
    if you order it on line, you would probably want to get material that has a DWR (durable waterproof repellent) finish applied to it. but if you use material that doesn't have the DWR finish, you can probably find DWR spray in an out door shop.
    i don't know what kind of stores you have with in a drivable distance though.
    in the US, you can find DWR in spray cans at wal-mart, & probably a lot of other stores as well.
    if i understand your original question as a material to cover an under quilt, the parachute material should do fine as far as i can tell. but the DWR spray would be a good idea.
    I too will something make and joy in it's making

• + New Posts