Amazonas Barbados.
    Tarp
    5$ stock tarp
    Insulation
    Wool poncho & bag
    Suspension
    Webbing

Corded hammock v. cordless hammock?

Both of my hammocks, including the one I'm laying in right now, have cords which streach from the hammock fabric to a loop at the end, used to attatch the hammock to the suspension. My question is: how does this method compare to the method of simply attaching the suspension directly to the hammock? The cordless hammocks I have seen so far all seem to create a 'cocoon' effect which I think would be a hindrance, especially when sleeping on a diagonal. What do you think?
    Set fire to the night, for light is only made bright by darkness.

Hammock
    BB1.0 double
    Tarp
    Hybrid Cuben F.
    Insulation
    Down & IX
    Suspension
    BB straps,whoopies
    oh did my mind ever go in a completly different direction when you said "cordless hammock". It kind of made me think of those "tents" that come with the power plug in points. I'm thinking, ok, now where am I gonna put that plug in at.....

sorry, I know... it's been a hot day here!!

Hammock
    DD Frontline
    Tarp
    DIY Nylon
    Insulation
    CCF pad
    Suspension
    AHE webbing
    Far from being an expert, but the first hammock I bought was an inexpensive "jungle hammock" with a canvas bottom and 5 loops sewn to the canvas at each end. The loops had a cord laced through each individual loop and back to a center ring for suspension. It was a constant (every time the hammock was hung after being stored) battle to untangle the cords and suspension ring. I replaced the cords with a single line passed through the sewn-on loops an the hammock never tangled again.
    As far as the "lay" of the hammock - no significant change other than the fact I did effectively shorten the hammock a bit by removing the cord lacing. (not a problem for my 4' tall son that commandeered possession of that hammock)

I'm finding the overall length of the hammock, and the amount of sag it's hung with seem to be the major factors in the cocoon effect. A short hammock, hung tight will definitely wrap me up like a hotdog in a bun.

A longer hammock with a lot of sag when hung will allow a diagonal lay and the hammock is not restrictive at all.

I think this would hold true for a gathered end (cordless) hammock or a corded one. If you would compare the hammocks measuring length from the gathered end to gathered end for that type, or suspension ring to suspension ring for the corded type, and selected two of similar length, I don't believe there would be much difference in comfort. (based on my very limited experience)
    wabi

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    LARGE!
    Insulation
    DIY Bag UQ
    Suspension
    Nacras an Whoopies
    I have a cotton mex style hammock that has the suspension woven in, and a diy with gathered ends and straps tied straight to the ripstop (atm)

They both seem to be more affected by the sag, especially when I set them up with a structural ridgeline. Get the sag right for you... and its all good!
    I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives.

• + New Posts