Hammock
    any hammo = better than no hammo!
    Insulation
    fan for cooling!

Jumbohammock, hand-woven luxury hammocks from Thailand

Hello Happy Hammockers,

As a new member to HF and producer of hand-woven hammocks, Jumbohammock would first like thank everybody here for making this forum happen.
    The thought of being surrounded by so many enthusiastic hangers from all around the world, is almost as relaxing as lying in a hammock itself!

We hope we’ll have the time to get to know everybody a bit better as well as share plenty of stories from our tropical hammock adventures, but let’s start by explaining who we are.

Based in Thailand, South East Asia, Jumbohammock specializes in hand-woven hammocks as a means to provide an alternative and sustainable source of income for disadvantaged groups in rural Thailand.

The project was originally conceived and developed 14 years ago in an effort to create financial stability for the Mlabri tribe, who had lost their means of survival after being forced to abandon their nomadic hunter-gatherer existence in the jungle covered mountains of Laos and North Thailand.

Slowly but surely the Mlabri adopted the craft of weaving hammocks, which seemed to fit their calm life style quite well. All started very simple and it took a while before the first hammock of sellable quality was woven. Back then Jumbohammock only produced its coarse string hammock, aka the Mlabri hammock and weaving 100 hammocks per year seemed like a great milestone to reach.

It wasn’t much later though when the first Jumbohammock outlet opened in a small tourist town and with that, the project had finally taken off. Over the years, several new styles of hammocks were introduced and the Mlabri also learned to dye their own yarn. Besides providing the Mlabri with their own source of income, weaving these unique hammocks also gave them a sense of respect amongst the other tribes who had been looking down upon them for so long.

In fact, it turned out many of the neighboring villages were also getting interested in weaving hammocks as an alternative for the often hard & underpaid field labor that seems to be the only option around in these rural areas.
    As the demand for the hammocks increased and our retailer network grew, so did the possibility to provide more people with work and it wasn’t much longer before the project expanded to include the neighboring villagers as well.

At present there are about 100 trained weavers involved with the project. Many of these weavers are older women, for whom field work is no longer an option. Others are young women with small children to care for. Some are men, who have found this an attractive means of supplementing their income in off season.

All of the weavers are paid fair wages and allowed to work at their own chosen speed, there is no pressure to perform. Weavers work in the comfort of their own home or village where they are regarded as productive members of their families & communities. No discrimination is made on the basis of ethnicity, gender, age, religion, education or office intrigues.
    Through the dedicated effort from all the people involved, Jumbohammock not only succeeded in becoming a successful social project, but has also managed to establish itself as a respected manufacturer of luxuriously comfortable and colorful hammocks.

Jumbohammocks are woven (not knotted!) according to the Mexican style (which are considered to be very comfortable already), only we have improved them through the usage of innovative materials & integration of (custom) designs.

Our product range holds several styles including coarse string hammocks, sitting hammocks, fine yarn travel & super jumbo hammocks, luxurious V-weaves, parachute hammocks (not woven of course) and our latest addition: the Pet hammock.
    Cotton is used for indoor hammocks, triple acrylic yarn for outdoors.

Maybe our hammocks are not exactly the type you would use for “Shug-style-snow-camping” (no pun intended there, love your work), but if it comes down to finding a colorful and comfortable patio hammock to help you relax, we don’t think you‘ll be disappointed!

...So there it is, our first serious entry on the HF (hope we don’t get banned for advertising ourselves!). If anybody would like to know a bit more about our work, please feel free to ask or have a look on the Jumbohammock website.
    As your entries on HF give us a lot of inspiration and things to think about, we hope to do the same for you.

Thanks for reading all, and keep on swinging!

Butch,
    in name of the Jumbohammock project.

Attached Images Attached Images
    www.jumbohammock.com - Helping people relax since 1996!

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird
    Tarp
    Cuben rag
    Insulation
    Winter Yeti
    Suspension
    webbing/buckle
    Images
    Holy Cow !
    Two posts in the same year

Seriously, nice to see you over here.

Moski proud owner of :
    1. Travel jumbo
    2. Parachute hammock

See you around !
    Moski, who no longer feels the Secret Ninja Ski emptiness..............
    B/C he got them now

Butch,

Congratulations and what a wonderful job at helping this tribe. I am so impressed with folks that go in to an impoverished area not to just give "things" and start the entitlement mentality, but to teach new ways for people to support themselves. Kudos!

Can you explain the difference between the jumbo hammock and the v-weave hammock. The sizes seem to be about the same. What difference does the type of weave lend to the comfort between the two?

And you have a "Wisconsin" hammock. . I will most certainly have to order one of these two hammocks so I can hang the green and gold in the front yard! My wife's family are huge Packer fans.

Brian
    Last edited by BER; 08-15-2010 at 10:15.

Hammock
    Blackbird 1.7 double
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    UGQs ZEPPELIN
    Suspension
    Dutch Clips
    Images
    Best of luck on your venture and the people you are helping.
    I am still 18 but with 52 years of experience !

Hammock
    any hammo = better than no hammo!
    Insulation
    fan for cooling!
    Thanks for your kind words.

The idea of the project is indeed not to make people dependent on donations, but rather give them a skill that allows them to provide for their own needs.
    Reminds me of the story of a man who always gave a few bucks to a beggar on his way home from work. One day his wife asks him to pick up a couple of groceries after work and when he then passes the beggar, he realizes he's out of change. The beggar gets upset and tells the man: How am i supposed to eat now? That's when the man realized he wasn't helping at all, just extending the beggar's suffering.

To answer the question on the hammocks:

The difference between the Super Jumbo and the V-weave lies in the type of weave indeed, size wise they are quite similar though.

Our travel/super jumbo's are made with a single interloping weave (see pic 1) which gives you a typical "net" pattern. A dense weave is used in order to give plenty of support points and reduce the effect of the skin protruding through the maze of the weave like a string wrapped german sausage.

Woven hammocks (as opposed to knotted or cloth hammocks), allow for the yarns to move independently from each other, which in its turn means that the surface of the hammock can adapt better to the contours of your body and pressure gets distributed evenly.

The V-weave takes this one step further. By using a four double weave (pic 2), the bed part of the hammock becomes more like a blanket with hardly any holes at all. More support = more comfort. Pressure wise, this weave also makes it possible for the hammock to adapt even better to your body.

While V-weaves give even better comfort and support, the single interloping weave is lighter and allows for more air passage (= cooler in hot climate).

@ Ber: Hope you don't live in the same street as the guy who once ordered a Notre Dame coloured hammock from us. (Then again, fans of opposing sport teams seem a lot more peaceful in the states)

@ Moski: yes, amazing huh, think I might need a break in my hammock! What have you done to me ?
    Any plans for coming in this direction again?
    Attached Images Attached Images
    www.jumbohammock.com - Helping people relax since 1996!

Butch,

Thank you for your explanation of the weaves. They look great. Again I applaud you for the work you are doing!

To my knowledge I do not know any Notre Dame fans on my street! But Cowboy fans beware!

Anticipate an email within the next couple days.

Brian

Hammock
    NX-150 TX-150
    Tarp
    Vertex-Camo
    Insulation
    Z-Liner & DIY Pads
    Suspension
    Clark
    Hay Butch

I really like the JumboHammock story, it is something I could support, because it's the right thing to do.

I drink Capulin Coffee for the same reason,
    besides, the fact is, it the best tasting coffee in the world.

I might not buy one right away, but it is now on the list, and I will get to it.

I will PM you.

Bless Your Hearts and Bless Your Soles.

PS. Also, Like your sense of Humorus.
    Bradley SaintJohn
    Flat Bottom Canoe
    Start A Biz

The Transition from Ground Sleeping to Hammocks
    is the Conversion from Agony To Ecstasy,
    and Curing Ground-In-somnia.

"Call unto me, and I will answer thee, and show you great and mighty things . . ." Jeremiah 33:3
    ΙΧΘΥΣ

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird
    Tarp
    Cuben rag
    Insulation
    Winter Yeti
    Suspension
    webbing/buckle
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by jumbohammock View Post
    @ Moski: yes, amazing huh, think I might need a break in my hammock! What have you done to me ?
    Any plans for coming in this direction again?
    No serious plans at the moment, sadly.
    We thought we where going down this x-mas until a month ago,
    family stuff got in the way
    But we get there and i prefer the low season anyway.
    Moski, who no longer feels the Secret Ninja Ski emptiness..............
    B/C he got them now

• + New Posts