Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Hammock
    WBBB 1.0 DL
    Tarp
    Guide Gear 12x12
    Suspension
    Biners & Webbing

Boulder Lake, McCall, ID

I just returned from a short, but excellent, overnighter to Boulder Lake. It's near McCall, ID which is about a 2.5 hour drive from my house.

This was the first proper night in a hammock for me. What I mean by "proper" is it's the first night I've spent in it at any kind of notable elevation, aka, not in my backyard.

The trail head is near Boulder Mountain Reservoir, which is also home to a fairly sizable campground. We (my friend, Jake, and his brother-in-law, Andrew) arrived at the parking lot around 11am. The hike is only 2 miles and has a gain of ~700ft, which is all in a very short distance. My two companions on this trip are both ground dwellers of the simplistic kind. They both use blue tarps for shelters and that seems to work out well for them. Andrew actually fashioned what I like to call "The Ghetto Hammock" from his tarp, paracord, and a caribiner. I know what you're thinking: "This won't end well!". But it did! Yes, the paracord and the tarp stretched throughout the night and his bum was only a few inches from the ground by morning, but it actually worked.

I found a nearly perfect spot to hang my hammock. The trees were ~13 ft apart. Slung the SBpro up, got my angle set (my compass has an angle measurement on it, not sure what it's really for, but it worked quite well for this purpose), and pitched the mammoth Guide Gear 12x12 over it. I should note here that I had my Mom add tie outs where the tarp needed them for a proper a-frame setup. My thread injecting skills are terribad and she's a pro. For insulation, I used a SPE that I hobbled together from a walmart CCF and another that I had. I didn't have time to make a real SPE so I just duct taped the wings on. This worked in the sense that the wings kept my shoulders, hips, and legs from touching the side of the hammock. I used my REI 20deg Polar Pod as a TQ which also worked quite well. My comfort throughout the night took drastic swings. Overnight temps were in the mid to high 30s. No wind to speak of. I started out nice and toasty then would get cold. Not cold spots, mind you, just cold. Like the chills. I was wearing polyester long underwear, wool stocking cap, wool socks, and FA Down Sweater. I also felt quite clammy throughout the night. There was no puddling on the pad or the hammock bottom from condensation, but it was definitely "wet" feeling all night. I'm guessing that part or all of this was due to the bare CCF underneath me and no air circulation because of it. Any ideas on this? I don't think I hung the tarp too low, take a look at the pics and let me know what you think.

Anyway, if sleeping on a CCF is a right of passage for newb hammockers, I'm done. No more pad for me. As I type this I am formulating how to either DIY or buy an UQ. I will NOT do that again. Even with those complaints, I slept reasonably well. I woke up about as often as I do on my bed at home but didn't have the normal back and hip pain. Any advice in that regard is also welcome.

I apologize ahead of time for the pics. I am no photographer and all of the images are somewhat random and haphazard. Enjoy...I certainly did!

The Ghetto Hammock (I think it's awesome that it worked for him)

New Tarp tie outs and prussik detail

The beastly tarp, I really like this thing.

Just over the saddle in this picture, you can see nearly the entirety of Round Valley, which I forgot to take a picture of

My version of the 2 cup heinie pot. I put two wristbands on it because my lips are kinda big. Kept burning my lip with just one. A progresso soup can lid fits PERFECTLY on this one.

West side of the lake, looking towards the side we camped on

Hammock
    AHE 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    AHE Shangi La
    Insulation
    KAQ Prototype
    Suspension
    AHE Whoopie Slings
    Sweet Outkast, we actually had our plans get screwed up and after spending the night near Stanley had to come home, well with nothing else to do we decided to head to McCall on Sunday and ended up fishing at lower bolder res most of the afternoon. Did pretty good out of the outlet stream, 4 rainbows and a brook. You probably hiked right past us.

Great photos by the way. It got a lot colder in Stanly too on Firday night, we had lows in the 20's.

Hammock
    not quite eno..
    Tarp
    10x12 DIY
    Insulation
    insultex+momentum
    Suspension
    DIY whoopie slings
    Images
    wow! lake trees mountains, and all the deadfall you care to burn. looks great to me!

Hammock
    WBBB 1.0 DL
    Tarp
    Guide Gear 12x12
    Suspension
    Biners & Webbing
    @Paul, that's craziness. Too bad your plans didn't work out. Sounds like a good day fishing though.

@KerMegan, yeah, it's a pretty awesome place. It's my new favorite for overnighters. Fairly close to home and a short hike. Plus, you can do a loop to another lake for a total of 6 miles.

Hammock
    AHE 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    AHE Shangi La
    Insulation
    KAQ Prototype
    Suspension
    AHE Whoopie Slings
    yah, needed to be away from the house for a bit, and as if driving to Stanley and back, then to McCall was not enough we decided to take the long way home though Cambrige, Council and on around. Got home at midnight last night with some very tired kids. But we got a few real nice fish to show from it. Even got to work on my Patric McManus fish landing technique. Had a good dinner in McCall at My Fathers Place too.
    Arrowhead Equipment -- For all your hammock camping and backpacking gear
    Arrowhead-Equipment.com Visit AHE on Facebook Follow us on Twitter Check out pictures on Instagram

Senior Member carolinasbackpacker's Avatar
    Hammock
    WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    Hammock gear
    Suspension
    dutch hook mostly
    Thanks for the report. I love reading these things. It gives me an escape when needed
    Show of Life Media Youtube Channel

The Carolinas Backpackpacker Chronicles

I'm drawn to the open country. Its where the world makes the most sense. When I put myself out there I always return with something new.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.0 DL
    Tarp
    Guide Gear 12x12
    Suspension
    Biners & Webbing
    Anyone having any hints on my humidity problem? Was it just the weather? Or my pad? Paul, did you have any problems on your overnight hang?

Hammock
    AHE 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    AHE Shangi La
    Insulation
    KAQ Prototype
    Suspension
    AHE Whoopie Slings
    We had temps in the 20's and lost of condensation. We were all on quilts so no pad issues but my bug net was soaked in the morning, and when I got up within 3 or 4 minutes it was all ice. The river was also putting off a good bit of steam/fog and there were some very low hanging fogish clouds over the meadows. Some of what you had may just have been like we had -- very high humidity and cool so it clung to everything.
    Arrowhead Equipment -- For all your hammock camping and backpacking gear
    Arrowhead-Equipment.com Visit AHE on Facebook Follow us on Twitter Check out pictures on Instagram

Hammock
    WB Traveler
    Tarp
    Custom OES tarp
    Insulation
    JRB Down UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Images
    Awesome report. Thanks too for the pics! I kept expecting to see a moose out there near the water.

"Civilization is the limitless multiplication of unnecessary necessities."
    - Mark Twain
    “I go to nature to be soothed and healed, and to have my senses put in order.”
    - John Burroughs

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird 1.7
    Tarp
    Zpacks Cuben Fiber
    Insulation
    Leigh's UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies/Treestrap
    Wow those are some absolutely fantastic pictures thanks for sharing.
    Terry

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast