Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Big test hang before the trip... not good.

So after a couple nights of working on stuff I thought I had a workable rig for the upcoming trip (leave wed for quetico, 4 nights, some rain and low 50F's predicted)

Equip tested:
    - Eno doublenest (first hammock give me a break
    - Eno bugnet (last minute buy with a coupon so I could take this trip)
    - Crazy Creek blue tarp (garage sale buy from my father-in-law, i am pretty sure it came from the house of a HF member).
    - Whoopie slings, adjustable ridge line and a host of DIY stuff

But my test-hang found many a problem:
    - 3/4" tubular climbing straps moved around too much (some stretch/some sliding)
    - Tarp wasn't long enough, worried about rain. Moving to larger Crazy Creek tarp but the size/weight are not what i had in mind for this trip.
    - Several tieouts were the wrong length
    - Bugnet was a mess, started with a ridgeline for it (was hitting tarp), moved it onto the hammock adjustable ridgeline but that was a little low
    - Hammock seems a little tight, worried about fitting sleeping bag + mat in it (planning to use big agnes nugget (45F) and aircore pad), part of this was likely because my hang wasn't that good

Here are my thoughts on fixing stuff:
    - Move to 1" webbing
    - Change from blue to green Crazy Creek tarp. The green tarp is larger but it is too heavy and odd shaped (it will work for this trip)
    - New tieouts
    - Live with bugnet, ah well
    - Hang hammock between closer trees and try to hit that magic 30 degree angle better

Any other thoughts?

BTW if this trip works out I am really thinking about an Maccat Ultra and a BlackBird double layer 1.7.

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by mgeller View Post
    So after a couple nights of working on stuff I thought I had a workable rig for the upcoming trip (leave wed for quetico, 4 nights, some rain and low 50F's predicted)

Equip tested:
    - Crazy Creek blue tarp (garage sale buy from my father-in-law, i am pretty sure it came from the house of a HF member).

- 3/4" tubular climbing straps moved around too much (some stretch/some sliding)
    - Tarp wasn't long enough, worried about rain. Moving to larger Crazy Creek tarp but the size/weight are not what i had in mind for this trip.
    - Bugnet was a mess, started with a ridgeline for it (was hitting tarp), moved it onto the hammock adjustable ridgeline but that was a little low
    - Hammock seems a little tight, worried about fitting sleeping bag + mat in it (planning to use big agnes nugget (45F) and aircore pad), part of this was likely because my hang wasn't that good

Here are my thoughts on fixing stuff:
    - Move to 1" webbing
    - Change from blue to green Crazy Creek tarp. The green tarp is larger but it is too heavy and odd shaped (it will work for this trip)
    - New tieouts
    - Live with bugnet, ah well
    - Hang hammock between closer trees and try to hit that magic 30 degree angle better

Any other thoughts?

BTW if this trip works out I am really thinking about an Maccat Ultra and a BlackBird double layer 1.7.
    Maybe add more sag to the hammock .... that will shorten the over-all length.
    work on the bug-net in the woods .... the pressure will get you going.
    Tie-outs ....easy fix.
    You ougth to have a terrific trip.
    Shug
    Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1 Dbl / Eno dbl
    Tarp
    Blackcat w/door
    Insulation
    crowsnest / yeti
    Images
    I don't know the dimensions of your tarp, and you may have already thought of this. But, would you be able to attach your tarp on the diagonal?

I wish I was going to Quetico. No BWCA trip for me this year
    Everybody wang chung tonight!

Hammock
    Superior Gear
    Tarp
    Superior Gear
    Insulation
    Down
    Yea what Shug said. If you are using a structural ridge line try shortening it a bit. If not just try to not string the hammock so tight and you should find you have plenty of room in there.
    Pete.
    The opinions expressed by this user are not those of a competent individual. If they were that would mean I know what I am talking about.

Hammock
    DIY of the Day
    Tarp
    DIY of the Day
    Insulation
    DIY PLoft/IX-UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    WS or Spyder Line
    Images
    Good advice above!

Bug nets are over rated. I haven't used one in quite a while. The secret is to go to bed after the bugs and keep lighting low
    2015 John Rock Spreadsheet.

"If you find yourself in a hole, the first thing you should do is STOP DIGGING "

Hammock
    GrizzBridge Ariel
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Winter
    Insulation
    DIY UQ
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by mgeller View Post

Equip tested:
    No apologies necessary, I have the same hanging in my garage for naps.

Gotta keep the bugs out up there. That or stand by all night swatting at them with canoe paddles. Should work Just Fine. It's Just Heavy, that's all.

Never heard a good thing about a Crazy Creek tarp of any size, color, or shape. Can you work on that part???

A true Renaissance hammocker.

Is this mostly a stretch thing? If not, then snugging a Marlin Spike hitch up close to the tree helps a lot to hold it in place.

see above.
    Woven mason's line at Home Depot will let you cut new ones to whatever size you like, maybe $4 for more than you will use in a year.

Not sure about this, would have to see in person I think

Oh my, an ENO double has all the space you need, just need to put more sag in there. A lot of sag. Your bugnet will limit how much sag you can have, but if I remember correctly it is pretty deep. Lots of sag. (there's an echo in here).

yeah, moving on up to the East Side
    Grizz
    (alias ProfessorHammock on youtube)

Thanks for all the hints...

I double-checked my adjustable ridge, it was set at about 107", math error on my part.

The crazy creeks were free from my father in law. I wanted at least one Quetico hang trip before I dumped serious $$ or time.

The DIY rope work was easy, also made some skins. If only I had realized these tarps stunk I might have made something yesterday.

Hammock
    G-Bird II/Bridge
    Tarp
    Ogee tarp
    Insulation
    DIY TQ DIY Down UQ
    Suspension
    whoopies
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Running Feather View Post
    Good advice above!

Bug nets are over rated. I haven't used one in quite a while. The secret is to go to bed after the bugs and keep lighting low
    Skeeters is my parts work 24/7 till we get a freeze or three.

You must have government mosquitoes down yonder, and they only work days?

Netting is mandatory. Different strokes for different folks in different locs. (locations)

The flies I experienced Sunday were relentless as well. Bug spray was like candy for them. I came home with bloody legs, I got bit so much.
    Ambulo tua ambulo.

Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    DIY (soon)
    Insulation
    modified SBUQ
    Quote Originally Posted by gargoyle View Post
    Skeeters is my parts work 24/7 till we get a freeze or three.

You must have government mosquitoes down yonder, and they only work days?

Netting is mandatory. Different strokes for different folks in different locs. (locations)

The flies I experienced Sunday were relentless as well. Bug spray was like candy for them. I came home with bloody legs, I got bit so much.

We have their workaholic, deet adicted cousins down here in Louisiana too!

Hammock
    Varies
    Tarp
    GargoyleGear Ogee
    Insulation
    UQ-varies w/season
    Suspension
    Dutchgear
    You have nothing to apologize for with an ENO Double. You could go a lifetime with that hammock, and be as comfortable as someone who has spent many hundreds of dollars on other, flashier gear.

Get some 1" straps. If time is short, grab a pair of ratchet straps from WM, and cannibalize them.

Sag is your friend. It will raise the ridgeline (and the bug net with it), and allow a luxuriously flat, diagonal lay.

When you get back, post pics, tell us how it went, and talk to Gargoyle about a tarp. Have fun!
    Dave

"Loneliness is the poverty of self; solitude is the richness of self."~~~May Sarton

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast