Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Images
    Rockstar, I'm 5'3" and I have the JRB No Sniveler and it works just fine for me as an underquilt. I weighed mine at 21.48 ozs, not a bad weight in my book either considering I need to keep my pack weight as low as possible. Just something I thought I'd throw out there for ya.
    Trail Angel

Hammock
    Hennessy
    Tarp
    MacCat Deluxe
    Insulation
    Duff
    Suspension
    Webbing, biners.
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by dixicritter View Post
    Rockstar, I'm 5'3" and I have the JRB No Sniveler and it works just fine for me as an underquilt. I weighed mine at 21.48 ozs, not a bad weight in my book either considering I need to keep my pack weight as low as possible. Just something I thought I'd throw out there for ya.
    I was looking at that or the Nest. I couldn't remember which was lighter. I look at so much hiking gear I lose track of what weighs what. Good to know. If I have the funds, I will just buy one of the JRB's if nothing else. Thanks Dixie!
    "Success is the ability to go from one failure to another with no loss of enthusiasm."
    -Churchill

http://www.flickr.com/photos/scorpiorising80/

Hammock
    Hennessy
    Tarp
    MacCat Deluxe
    Insulation
    Duff
    Suspension
    Webbing, biners.
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Take-a-knee View Post
    Dude, you'll have to make it yourself. I have one of the original Potomac "small" underquilts that Patrick made. I'm 5'8" and it fits me okay, but it is hugely oversized for my 5'3' daughter.

Here's my recipe:

First make yourself a top quilt from one of Ray Jardine's kits, order the regular, not the thick alpine version. You'll gain valuable experience with this. $60-70

Then make your underquilt based on the Potomac/KAQ plan.

When you can afford it, buy a Feathered Friends Rock Wren bag, they will make a small that will fit a 5'4' person. It'll be about $300 and worth every dollar. This is IMO the ultimate hammock bag. OR if you only need a summer bag, the Exped Wallcreeper looks like a winner. Mine keeps me toasty to mid 40's (haven't had a chance to test lower yet). I picked this bag up on sale for $100 or so, Altrec I think.

I hate when I click unread and it skips the last post on the previous page. Ray Jardine kit...looking into it now...
    "Success is the ability to go from one failure to another with no loss of enthusiasm."
    -Churchill

Hammock
    Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    I got to hold one of those Jardine quilts last week. They really are kind of nice for the money. The guy that was showing it to me said it was his second sewing project and found it fairly easy, just a little time consuming. Would be a very good option.

Hammock
    JRB BMBH
    Tarp
    JRB 11x10 Cat Tarp
    Insulation
    JRB UQ of season
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by RockStar View Post
    I was looking at that or the Nest. I couldn't remember which was lighter. I look at so much hiking gear I lose track of what weighs what. Good to know. If I have the funds, I will just buy one of the JRB's if nothing else. Thanks Dixie!
    FWIW, the Hudson River quilt at 19 oz is actually the lightest of the three season models.... the No Sniveller is the lightest answer if you further reduce that "extra layer of insulation" that folks tend to carry "just in case" since it is wearable.

Pan
    Ounces to Grams.

www.jacksrbetter.com ... Largest supplier of camping quilts and under quilts...Home of the Original Nest Under Quilt, and Bear Mountain Bridge Hammock. 800 595 0413

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by RockStar View Post
    I like the multi-functionality of the No Sniveller personally, since I need to carry both a top quilt and under quilt to be sure I stay warm (even if I never use the under quilt on a particular trip).

And you're welcome!
    Trail Angel

Hammock
    Hennessy
    Tarp
    MacCat Deluxe
    Insulation
    Duff
    Suspension
    Webbing, biners.
    Images
    Hrmmmm lots to think about.
    -Churchill

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12