Tarp
    MacCat Deluxe
    Insulation
    Duff
    Suspension
    Webbing, biners.
    Images

Underquilt for shorty.

I am 5'2" and want to buy an underquilt BUT I am looking for a little weight savings if possible. *spare me the UL is for dummies lecture por favor * Is there any place you wonderful Hangers know of that would make one shorter or that sells a shorter UQ? Also...My 20degree rated synthetic bag is a bit BULKY. I want to switch to down or get an overquilt. Has anyone found a less expensive less bulky alternative to the mummy bag? Or is Down the way to go...and IF down is the way to go...what rating would be sufficiant with a decent UQ? BTW: My marmot probably is rated more towards the 30 degree end of the rating spectrum. I heard that is not unusual and pretty standard for marmots rating system.

I thought about buying a campmor 20 degree down bag. Great reviews on WB as far as weight/warmth/value.

Thanks!
    "Success is the ability to go from one failure to another with no loss of enthusiasm."
    -Churchill

http://www.flickr.com/photos/scorpiorising80/

Hammock
    Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    How about the "you should make your own gear" lecture?

I'm playing with a standard sized bag right now that I'm converting into a UQ. The most length I can get is 70" which is what I'm gonna call 3/4 length. I like the idea of having my torso covered and dealing with the feet/legs by using some form of support, like a pack that I'm carrying anyhow. Should save quite a few ounces and could be done with down too; I'm just not that talented..........yet.

Hammock
    Dutchware Half-Wit Hexon 1.6
    Tarp
    HG Palace
    Insulation
    Burrow & Crowsnest
    Suspension
    Whoopie Sling
    Images
    I don't know if BlackBishop is still making Potomacs, but he had a short version of the Potomac that he made. You may want to contact him to see if he is still sewing them.
    "If you play a Nicleback song backwards, you'll hear messages from the devil. Even worse, if you play it forward, you'll hear Nickleback." - Dave Grohl

Hammock
    Hennessy
    Tarp
    MacCat Deluxe
    Insulation
    Duff
    Suspension
    Webbing, biners.
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Cannibal View Post
    How about the "you should make your own gear" lecture?

I'm playing with a standard sized bag right now that I'm converting into a UQ. The most length I can get is 70" which is what I'm gonna call 3/4 length. I like the idea of having my torso covered and dealing with the feet/legs by using some form of support, like a pack that I'm carrying anyhow. Should save quite a few ounces and could be done with down too; I'm just not that talented..........yet.

I tried the sewing...I will stick to stuff sacks for now. PLUS I really have no time to take on a sewing project. I do stained glass for myself and this season is the second busiest to Spring/Summer. Converting bags into underquilts sounds a bit easier than sewing an underquilt. Something to think about.

Quote Originally Posted by Hooch View Post
    I don't know if BlackBishop is still making Potomacs, but he had a short version of the Potomac that he made. You may want to contact him to see if he is still sewing them.
    Thanks!
    "Success is the ability to go from one failure to another with no loss of enthusiasm."
    -Churchill

Hammock
    Dutchware Half-Wit Hexon 1.6
    Tarp
    HG Palace
    Insulation
    Burrow & Crowsnest
    Suspension
    Whoopie Sling
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by RockStar View Post
    Thanks!
    No sweat, you're welcome.
    "If you play a Nicleback song backwards, you'll hear messages from the devil. Even worse, if you play it forward, you'll hear Nickleback." - Dave Grohl

Images
    I would think that BlackBishop, Jacks R Better, and Ed Speer could make a shorter one. They are so involved with hammocks and their customers I think they would do it. Really, all they need to do is make the middle shorter. The end measurements and angles should be the same, so it wouldn't require any new designing on thier part.

Images
    you could buy a standard one and sew through at the size you want.
    Sew on both sides, cut down the middle, and you have a small UQ, and down mini skirt or scarf left over
    Scott

"Man is a stream whose source is hidden."
    RWE

Who says UL is for dummies? Nothing wrong with being sub 10lb or less and still being more comfortable than most in the outdoors...just a thought.

Christian

Hammock
    Hennessy
    Tarp
    MacCat Deluxe
    Insulation
    Duff
    Suspension
    Webbing, biners.
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Cerberus View Post
    I would think that BlackBishop, Jacks R Better, and Ed Speer could make a shorter one. They are so involved with hammocks and their customers I think they would do it. Really, all they need to do is make the middle shorter. The end measurements and angles should be the same, so it wouldn't require any new designing on thier part.
    Hrmmm sounds reasonable.

Quote Originally Posted by schrochem View Post
    you could buy a standard one and sew through at the size you want.
    Sew on both sides, cut down the middle, and you have a small UQ, and down mini skirt or scarf left over
    No way! Me Sew unnecessarily on an expensive piece of gear. murder!

Quote Originally Posted by smartcarpie View Post
    Who says UL is for dummies? Nothing wrong with being sub 10lb or less and still being more comfortable than most in the outdoors...just a thought.

Christian
    I don't think I'll be THAT UL. I am however cutting weight where I can. I have my winter pack around 25 with food and water. Im shooting for around 20. Will take a little time but, it's a project.
    -Churchill

Dude, you'll have to make it yourself. I have one of the original Potomac "small" underquilts that Patrick made. I'm 5'8" and it fits me okay, but it is hugely oversized for my 5'3' daughter.

Here's my recipe:

First make yourself a top quilt from one of Ray Jardine's kits, order the regular, not the thick alpine version. You'll gain valuable experience with this. $60-70

Then make your underquilt based on the Potomac/KAQ plan.

When you can afford it, buy a Feathered Friends Rock Wren bag, they will make a small that will fit a 5'4' person. It'll be about $300 and worth every dollar. This is IMO the ultimate hammock bag. OR if you only need a summer bag, the Exped Wallcreeper looks like a winner. Mine keeps me toasty to mid 40's (haven't had a chance to test lower yet). I picked this bag up on sale for $100 or so, Altrec I think.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast