Blackbird
    Tarp
    MacCat
    Insulation
    3/4
    Suspension
    Strap Cinch buckle

Odd Hangs

Just curious what have you done to still hang your hammock and tarp than have too resort to going to the ground on a certain trip got Pics would be great to see. I have just been pondering this and thinking what thickness foam pad to get for keeping feet warm in winter with 3/4 UQ and if I need to hit the ground .
    Last edited by Can't Wait; 08-17-2010 at 16:47.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by medicjimr View Post
    Just curious what have you done to still hang your hammock and tarp than have too resort to going to the ground on a certain trip got Pics would be great to see. I have just been pondering this and thinking what thickness foam pad to get for keeping feet warm in winter with 3/4 UQ and if I need to hit the ground .
    your talking winter i think. you would need to protect yourself from 32 - degree ground. i don't know what that would take, but i don't carry it.

120+ days on the trail and i never went to the ground. i always figured if i did i would sleep sitting up on top of my pack. wrapped in my quilts.
    "Tenting is equivalent to a bum crawling into a cardboard box, hammocking is an art" KK

Hammock
    Blackbird
    Tarp
    MacCat
    Insulation
    3/4
    Suspension
    Strap Cinch buckle
    Maybe I need to explain a little better where what I am getting at. I am talking about hanging the hammock in a place short on trees above tree lines in rock crevasse what have people done to overcome these obstacles and still use there hammock as intended hope this clarifies sorry if I confused people I know I am like what shug calls a visual learner

Hammock
    Warbonnet BB!
    Tarp
    MacCat Deluxe
    Insulation
    JRB HR (2)
    Winter is a unique situation. I won't go high enough to not be able to hang in winter, so will probably be fine with the winter Yeti. Dig a trench, hang the hammock, set up the winter tarp and sleep draftless and warm.

I generally study out the route and plan - I go above 10,000 feet on a regular basis and do not always get to take a hammock anymore. On 3 season trips where I can hang most of the time, but where there is potential for grounding, I'm planning to go with a 1/2 length underquilt and a medium Neoair. In the hammock I will have the underquilt and the neoair mostly deflated and folded, and tucked under the legs. On the ground, I will have a light groundsheet, the NeoAir, and the 1/2 length underquilt omni-taped beneath me to make the full length JRB Hudson River into a sleeping tube. (this is the plan anyway. Still working on it.) I have a 20F rig all year in the Sierra - only way to stay warm at elevation.

Images
    not confused. did the presidentials and Maine, just didn't get stuck above treeline. i have a hammock, i couldn't. i've seen places i could hang from rock formations, but i am not so stupid as to hang above tree line in the winter.
    i would like to see some pics too.
    "Tenting is equivalent to a bum crawling into a cardboard box, hammocking is an art" KK

Hammock
    Blackbird
    Tarp
    MacCat
    Insulation
    3/4
    Suspension
    Strap Cinch buckle
    Well I am still a noob I have done some day hangs up to now So this weekend will be the first of the overnight hangs just got the hammock a month and a half ago Haven't had time to do an overnight till now temps are to be high 80's Low's 63 chance of showers will have the WB Traveler and my Etowah 8x10 tarp I am deliberating what to take from that point on I have my montbell 20 degree 650 down bag which I will be using as my TQ for now and for the foreseeable future or I may take a fleece sleeping bag which is nothing more than a blanket with a zipper I bought from wally world a few years ago may take the 3 season DIY 3/4 UQ made by greenlespaul for underneath warmth haven't bought a pad yet So this will be a learning experience for me I will be sleeping in it and seeing If I get cold or not. I have a superfly on the way for winter months I love learning and getting acquainted with new gear

Images
    i used the superfly for my winter hike. held up great in storms. good tarp

Images
    Too many times i see theards"if i need to go to the ground"

do tenters talk about tenting on mud, NO. do they talk about tenting on mountian slopes NO. do they talk about sleeping over big rocks, NO. do they sleep over streams NO.
    THESE ARE OUR PLACES, we RULE the forest.

just messing medicjimr as i said in PM hope some pics are posted.

"Tenting is the equivalent of a bum crawling into a cardboard box. Hammocking is an art."

Hammock
    Blackbird
    Tarp
    MacCat Standard
    Insulation
    Winter Yeti, MWUQ4
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by medicjimr View Post
    Well I am still a noob I have done some day hangs up to now So this weekend will be the first of the overnight hangs just got the hammock a month and a half ago Haven't had time to do an overnight till now temps are to be high 80's Low's 63 chance of showers will have the WB Traveler and my Etowah 8x10 tarp I am deliberating what to take from that point on I have my montbell 20 degree 650 down bag which I will be using as my TQ for now and for the foreseeable future or I may take a fleece sleeping bag which is nothing more than a blanket with a zipper I bought from wally world a few years ago may take the 3 season DIY 3/4 UQ made by greenlespaul for underneath warmth haven't bought a pad yet So this will be a learning experience for me I will be sleeping in it and seeing If I get cold or not. I have a superfly on the way for winter months I love learning and getting acquainted with new gear
    Dude - punctuation is your friend. Seriously - you might get more responses if you used enough punctuation to make your posts easier to read.

If you fit the UQ well, it's probably enough to keep you toasty in 63F...pretty much anything will. If you want a pad, start with the cheap CCF pads from Walmart. You won't need both for low 60s, so pick one.
    “Republics are created by the virtue, public spirit, and intelligence of the citizens. They fall when the wise are banished from the public councils because they dare to be honest, and the profligate are rewarded because they flatter the people, in order to betray them.” ~Judge Joseph Story

- My site: http://www.tothewoods.net/
    - Designer, Jeff's Gear Hammock / Pack Cover by JRB

IMPOSSIBLE JUST TAKES LONGER

At a scout camp the trees where to far apart for one hammock so i used a long rope from tree to tree then hung 2 hammocks from that sorry no pics will be hanging their in fall will get pics then

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast