Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Lean To Hanging

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Images

Lean To Hanging

I'm going to the Adirondacks high peaks region this weekend with my son. It has been awhile since I've been on those trails. I called the NYS DEC and they said hanging a hammock in a lean to was allowed (tents are prohibited in and near lean tos). If we get caught in a bad rain storm, a leeward facing lean to would be a nice place to sleep. Does anyone know if the lean tos in the eastern high peaks region have rafters that you can tie to?

I don't know how they are constructed but i would almost refuse to hang from any rafters of any lean to. i would think the vertical support members would be stronger. however please correct me if i am wrong. just looking at physics.

Images
    I don't know - I wasn't a physics major, but the rafters have to be strong enough to transfer the weight of a lot of snow and ice to the vertical walls. And when people hang themselves in an attic it is always from the rafters rather than the studs in the wall

HaHa...several factors come into play here...one the angle of the roof plays a large part in the holding of the snow. Secondly, the studs cause splinters when you slide down them making your untimely demise all that much more uncomfortable. I was merely speaking as a matter of...well physics. Rarely when you find a load point on a roof be it a valley or a peak it ultimately returns to a vertical support that goes all the way to the footer. Thus seemingly making the vertical supports the strongest point. This is my humble experience, Again, i will take any information i am missing. I was merely making the observation that it would make more sense to hang the tent the way it was designed as opposed to trying to hang it straight down. Please correct any misunderstandings i may have made in my assumptions.
    If there's time to do it over there's time to do it right the first time. -- A.M.P.

Images
    I don't think there will be any room between the wall studs and the wall that could be used to tie a hammock. If my memory is correct, I don't think there are any exposed beems either, but it has been about 30 years. I'm sure of lot of the lean tos had to be replaced during those 30 years and was just wondering if they might have a new design.

Hey- a fellow hammock hanger from Buffalo. Go figure.

Most of the lean-to's are older and I don't think I would trust the rafters with my weight. There isn't really any space to get the straps through. The only supports would be the end beams (the longest logs) at the overhang.

Be aware that at Marcy Dam and Colden there is at least one bear that has learned to open the BearVault BV 300 and 400 bear canisters by biting the locking tab and unscrewing the top. We lost food two nights. The older BV models and the Garcia canisters are OK. Bearvault is trying a new lid design and may switch them out in March '08.

You should have a spectacular leaf color weekend!

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by mr. dribbles View Post
    Hey- a fellow hammock hanger from Buffalo. Go figure.

Most of the lean-to's are older and I don't think I would trust the rafters with my weight. There isn't really any space to get the straps through. The only supports would be the end beams (the longest logs) at the overhang.

Be aware that at Marcy Dam and Colden there is at least one bear that has learned to open the BearVault BV 300 and 400 bear canisters by biting the locking tab and unscrewing the top. We lost food two nights. The older BV models and the Garcia canisters are OK. Bearvault is trying a new lid design and may switch them out in March '08.

You should have a spectacular leaf color weekend!
    Thanks for the info. Glad to hear there is another hanger in Buffalo.

When were you in the Dacks? where did you climb?

I have a counter assult bear canister - the yellow one, like the Garcia Machine but slightly bigger. Depending on how much extra food my son wants to bring, we may rent a Garcia from the Loj.
    Last edited by nogods; 10-17-2007 at 07:50.

Hammock
    Warbonnet BB and Warbonnet Traveler
    Tarp
    MacCat Custom Spin
    Insulation
    Yeti UQ/Nunatak TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    I'm planning on a hike in the eastern Adirondacks this weekend, too. Right now it will be a last minute decision whether or not it's a go because of the forecasted rain and showers/thundershowers. I plan on heading in to Giant Mountain from the east via Bald Mountain and hanging at least one night at Marie Louise Pond. May possibly spend a night near the shelter north of Giant close to Roaring Brook. I'll be mainly on #112 and #48, weather permitting, I'll keep an eye out for you.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Quoddy View Post
    I'm planning on a hike in the eastern Adirondacks this weekend, too. Right now it will be a last minute decision whether or not it's a go because of the forecasted rain and showers/thundershowers. I plan on heading in to Giant Mountain from the east via Bald Mountain and hanging at least one night at Marie Louise Pond. May possibly spend a night near the shelter north of Giant close to Roaring Brook. I'll be mainly on #112 and #48, weather permitting, I'll keep an eye out for you.
    We were going to take a simpler hike. I'm going in any event to visit my son so weather won't be the deciding factor. We planned on hiking from the adk loj as far in as we can get Friday night before dark toward the Phelps trail. We are going to hit the trail about 4:30 so we won't have a lot of time - the hammocks will come in handy as we won't be limited to campsites and lean tos. Weather permitting, we plan on climbing Phelps on Saturday, maybe Table Top, and then moving over to avalanche pass for Saturday night.

My son has really gotten the 46'er bug. He has already done 8 or 9, including Gothics, Armstrong, and the Wolfjaws two weeks ago. But I was going to use this trip more to hone his outdoor skills and enjoy the scenery rather than add a half dozen peaks to his list. I also want him to get used to carrying a full pack up and down peaks so he can do extended loop trails rather than base camp hiking. There is a big differnce between the marathon climbing some 46'ers do and climbing with a full pack.
    Last edited by nogods; 10-17-2007 at 08:59.

Hammock
    ENO Double & HH Expedition
    Tarp
    MacCat Deluxe
    Insulation
    Quilts rule!
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by nogods View Post
    I'm going to the Adirondacks high peaks region this weekend with my son. It has been awhile since I've been on those trails. I called the NYS DEC and they said hanging a hammock in a lean to was allowed (tents are prohibited in and near lean tos). If we get caught in a bad rain storm, a leeward facing lean to would be a nice place to sleep. Does anyone know if the lean tos in the eastern high peaks region have rafters that you can tie to?
    As a former Western NY'er (20+ years in Rottenchester), I have visited the Adks several times. I wouldn't trust any of the leantos to hang my hammock in. You would be better served by finding some nearby trees to hang from and using the services at the shelter (water source, fire ring, etc.). Anyway, have a great trip. It's the best time of the year to go!!!!
    Peace,
    Joe

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast