Tarp
    Ogee tarp
    Insulation
    DIY TQ DIY Down UQ
    Suspension
    whoopies
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Eouzts View Post
    So last night I hemmed the perimeter once and the long edges twice. I have a question. What would cause the stitches to "inch worm"? What I meann by that is the stitches get really tight and then they spread out, tight and spread out. Today I plan on sewing the channel in the ends and gathering and whipping the ends. For a basic hammock is that all there really is? I have got to be missing something. I know bugnets, quilts etc, but if I want a hammock to hang from is this all I have to do?

Thanks for all you guys inputs, post, pics and suggestions.

I'm having a blast sewing of all things.

Eric
    Eric,
    Either your pulling on the fabric inconsistently, or the weight of the fabric is pulling against the machine. Guide the fabric, but try to avoid pulling sharply to the rear of the machine. A properly adjusted machine will pull the fabric thru smoothly, with minimal guidance. Try laying a few feet of fabric on your lap as it advances thru the machine, as opposed to the machine trying to lift three feet of fabric off the floor.

Check your machine for odd thread pattern settings if so equipped? Some computerized machine have a "pulse" thread pattern, which may have been accidentally turned on.

Check that the feed dogs are clean, and free of lint/fuzz under the stitch plate.
    You may need to adjust (increase) presser foot tension to ensure a consistent "grab" on the fabric.

The stitch length is determined by the feed dogs, the toothy section just below the presser foot. Make sure the feed dogs are fully engaged as well. There should be a button/switch which engages/disengages the feed dogs. When disengaged the fabric will not move at all.

With your big small big small length pattern, one of those explanations should work.

Try running a small 12"-18" piece of scrap fabric thru. If the problem is in the size of the amount of fabric its trying to pull on, the sample will run smooth.

Possible the feed dog mechanism is loose, which will require repair
    Ambulo tua ambulo.

Hammock
    Built by ME
    Jeff,
    my wife doesn't sew and I tried for years to get her to learn. Her Mom is a good seamstress and has done a lot for us. I spent 15 years w/ wife while in the Navy and with all the uniform stuff could have saved thousands of dollars if she could have sewn. Now she is making fun of me because of me sewing. What gives !!! now I can hem the kids clothes, sew on patches and make things that her mom used to make. I think i deserve more respect than what I'm getting. I don't know avbout green drapes though

Eo

Hammock
    Built by ME
    Gargoyle,

I will give those thing a go this evening. As I was writing this I was thinking of how I did things and I think it is me. Will try the scrap material to see if that is it. Considering I have less than 8 hours sewning eveerything is turning out well. The hammock I am making now is going to be for the neighbor that loaned me the machine. he doesn't have to know it is my practice/learning to sew project. Besides it is a side layer and I am 280+ and he is 130#. I am sure the stitches will hold well enough for him. The thread is STRONG!!! I ripped a bad seam out last night and cut my hand from the thread. He'll be just fine.\

Thanks for your help.

EO

Hammock
    Blackbird
    Tarp
    MacCat Standard
    Insulation
    Winter Yeti, MWUQ4
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    You're not supposed to pull the fabric thru, so that's probably what's causing the inchworm. It's tricky b/c if you don't pin the rolled hem, you have to pull the material tight. I pull it tight from both sides so it stays folded, but let the machine's feed dogs determine how fast it moves thru the machine.

I hear you on the patches. That's expensive.
    “Republics are created by the virtue, public spirit, and intelligence of the citizens. They fall when the wise are banished from the public councils because they dare to be honest, and the profligate are rewarded because they flatter the people, in order to betray them.” ~Judge Joseph Story

- My site: http://www.tothewoods.net/
    - Designer, Jeff's Gear Hammock / Pack Cover by JRB

IMPOSSIBLE JUST TAKES LONGER

i'd love to make a tarp but how do i water proof it?

Hammock
    G-Bird II/Bridge
    Tarp
    Ogee tarp
    Insulation
    DIY TQ DIY Down UQ
    Suspension
    whoopies
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by kitesurfer View Post
    i'd love to make a tarp but how do i water proof it?
    Normally we buy fabric that is impregnated with silicone. Hence its already waterproof. Whats refered to as sil, or silnylon. Its just lightweight ripstop nylon thats been saturated with silicone during the manufacture process..It is amazing stuff. Parachutes and hot air baloons are made from the same fabric. Strong, lightweight, and waterproof.
    Polyurethane coated fabric is used as well, but has a weight penalty. Almost twice as heavy as the other sil option.

On another note, you can make your own sil by soaking the ripstop in a slurry of mineral spirits and 100% silicone. Basically recreating the same process that sil nylon uses.
    Ambulo tua ambulo.

Hammock
    Built by ME
    Jeff, Gargoyle

I am pleased to announce the I was the cause of the inchworm effect. As I finished my first "prototype" hammock the stitches from last night were even, straight and much neater. Thanks to everyone for the help. Now I just need to hang it and test it out. I can't wait!!!

Next on the agenda:

Make a DL 1.9 ripstop for me.
    Make bugnet
    Make tarp
    Last but most urgent...... Use all of the above!!!!!!!!!

Thanks again.

EO

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12