Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Using surgical tubing

One of the problems in using the stock tarp attached to the hammock is the tarp sagging when you enter the hammock. The use of a tarp ridge line can keep the horizontal axis tight but the flaps will still be loose. Of course you can attach some kind of weight to the wings and because it is free floating it will keep the tarp under tension. But I was thinking that it would be very convenient to simply set up the tarp attached to the hammock, get in and adjust the tie outs to keep the tarp taut. It would be easy enough to rig up a system where you can do this. But the problem is what happens when you exit the hammock. The tarp must ride up with hammock however the wings are secured to a stake. I don't believe that shock cord would have enough elasticity to allow the tarp to float freely. I was thinking that using surgical tubing as a bridge in the line might be a solution. It's really strong yet elastic and comes in various sizes. Not sure of its cost. I see there is a tensioner that uses an elastic that's been mentioned on the site but this may be an alternative.

Hammock
    DIY of the Day
    Tarp
    DIY of the Day
    Insulation
    DIY PLoft/IX-UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    WS or Spyder Line
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by jtbradyl View Post
    One of the problems in using the stock tarp attached to the hammock is the tarp sagging when you enter the hammock. The use of a tarp ridge line can keep the horizontal axis tight but the flaps will still be loose. Of course you can attach some kind of weight to the wings and because it is free floating it will keep the tarp under tension. But I was thinking that it would be very convenient to simply set up the tarp attached to the hammock, get in and adjust the tie outs to keep the tarp taut. It would be easy enough to rig up a system where you can do this. But the problem is what happens when you exit the hammock. The tarp must ride up with hammock however the wings are secured to a stake. I don't believe that shock cord would have enough elasticity to allow the tarp to float freely. I was thinking that using surgical tubing as a bridge in the line might be a solution. It's really strong yet elastic and comes in various sizes. Not sure of its cost. I see there is a tensioner that uses an elastic that's been mentioned on the site but this may be an alternative.
    Sounds like it would work. I've made many a tarp guy-line tensioner out of surgical tubing. Not too expensive. I got mine through Reef Scuba.

Remember to take pictures or it didn't happen!

Good luck
    2015 John Rock Spreadsheet.

"If you find yourself in a hole, the first thing you should do is STOP DIGGING "

Why not use blown/used motorcycle inner tubes. They make great rubber bands as well. You can cut them as thin or as thick as you want. The best part....they are free. Just walk into a MC service area and ask someone.

daryl

Hammock
    not quite eno..
    Tarp
    10x12 DIY
    Insulation
    insultex+momentum
    Suspension
    DIY whoopie slings
    Images
    Yay! Recycling! (oops, I made a pun...)
    KM

Hammock
    DIY of the Day
    Tarp
    DIY of the Day
    Insulation
    DIY PLoft/IX-UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    WS or Spyder Line
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by KerMegan View Post
    Yay! Recycling! (oops, I made a pun...)
    KM
    If I'm not mistaken, and I used to use a lot of recycled inner tubes, they're made of vulcanized rubber which doesn't respond well to repetitive stretching. Latex rubber does but has issues with temp extremes.
    2015 John Rock Spreadsheet.

"If you find yourself in a hole, the first thing you should do is STOP DIGGING "

Hammock
    WBBB 1.0 Dbl Coyote Brown
    Tarp
    Superfly, MacCat
    Insulation
    Leigh's 2/3UQ,Yeti
    Suspension
    Straps
    Images
    Replacement tubes for sling shots also work well, and they are immediately available at your local big-box retail store.

Salty

Oak Ridge & Linville Gorge, North Carolina
    Hammock
    HHE, 2QZQ Mod4, Jerry 5 DIY
    Tarp
    HG Cuben/SFly Camo
    Insulation
    HammockGear Prod.
    Suspension
    Use them all!
    Images
    Silicon tubing over comes the temperature issues ... just saying ...

WARNING: Will discuss Rhurbarb Strawberry Pie and Livermush at random.

"A democracy is two wolves and a small lamb voting on what to have for dinner.
    Freedom under a constitutional republic is a well armed lamb contesting the vote." ... B.Franklin

Home of the Gorge Rats: Linville Gorge
    My Videos YouTube Channel
    Photo collections Flickr Photostream

Gorge Rat Productions On FaceBook

Hammock
    Hennessy Exp.
    Tarp
    Chinook 9.5'x12'
    Insulation
    HHSS
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    I use shock cord from a tent pole repair kit. There is a description on how to do it in this thread:
    http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/s...ead.php?t=3731

This is way I rig mine and it works well and is really easy to make and set up.

I have thought of a way of rigging the tarp tie outs that would be easy for a solo hiker to use. Simply get 3 eye bolts with long shafts or something akin or just drill a hole in a plastic stake. Set two of the stakes where you normally would and the third below the hammock where it can be reached while in it. The surgical tubing would be attached to the tarp at one end and a loop made at the other so a piece of para-cord or whatever can be tied to it. Now before you get in the hammock take the para-cord and thread it through the stakes set on each side and bring the line through the center stake leaving enough line so it can be reached or if you have enough cord bring it right into the hammock. Next get one of those cord locks that are found on bags and thread the cord through. Get into the hammock tighten the cord to the point where the tarp is tight and there is light tension on the surgical tubing then lock the cord to the stake.

Hammock
    HH Exploder
    Tarp
    Stock / hex
    Insulation
    UQ/pad
    Suspension
    DIY woopies&straps
    I just replaced all the tarp and hammock tie outs on mine with 1/8th shock cord from the climbing section at MEC. I run it through the rings and each end threw a draw string tentioner, one end is just knoted and the other has a small hook that snaps on to the end of the shock cord. I put a stopper knot. On the end so the hook will not slip off. A couple extra are in my dry bag just incase.

This lets me wrap the cord around a tree or rock up to 10 foot away then Just pull the extra through the tentioner and shorten it down to zero. Pulling extra tight gives me plenty of tention when I get in. Best mod yet for me.
    DAVE.

The further you go,
    the longer it takes to get back.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast