WB BB 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    8x10 made by me
    Insulation
    JRB winter UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    Amsteel Whoopies
    Quote Originally Posted by Browny View Post
    Just in case you were unaware, that green stuff is an arsenic based preservative.
    It's relatively benign as is, but if you are going to be cutting, sawing, drilling etc. then you might want to consider using some protective equipment.

Or not, It's your call.
    Arsenic based pressure treating isn't used any more, hasn't been for a while.

Hammock
    Blackbird 1.7 double
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    UGQs ZEPPELIN
    Suspension
    Dutch Clips
    Images
    After 2 weeks my pilings got delivered friday am. Cleaned out the holes I started for them and got my sons to help pick them up and "plant" them. Told the wife we are growing telephone poles. She wants to know how long until they ready to harvest. Tamped the dirt in around the poles and they are solid.

I ordered 12 foot long pilings and received 14 footers. They are almost 8" in diameter at the butt. The holes are just over 4 feet deep and I poured some gravel in the bottom of the hole for the pilings to sit on and help with water drainage. I place one of the broken 4x4 posts next to one opf the pilings for comparison.

I will be able to hang up to 3 hammocks with this setup.

Got my Eno Double Nest strung up and did a quaility control check hang and everything feels solid. If one of these pilings break, no problem. Figure if one of these bad boys break it will kill me in the process so I won't have anything to worry about.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    I am still 18 but with 52 years of experience !

I want to use my pilings cut-offs too

I have a few piling cut-offs from my home construction that I want to use for hanging my hammocks. The problem is that one is 6' while the other 3 are about 5'. I'm wondering how deep I would have to sink them in order for them to be secure. If I sink 2' then that leaves only 3' above ground which may be a little low...thoughts? I don't know if 2' is enough to be secure. Any suggestions on how to secure them further if you don't think the height is an issue?

Hammock
    Blackbird 1.7 double
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    UGQs ZEPPELIN
    Suspension
    Dutch Clips
    Images
    I sunk my 4 feet into the ground. Have not had a problem and they have been in ground for about 3 years now.

They will need to be about 7 feet above ground ( 7 ft above ground + 4 ft in ground = 11 feet) based on how far apart they are.
    I am still 18 but with 52 years of experience !

Hammock
    DIY, Dutch Argon
    Tarp
    Squidbilly/Tadpole
    Insulation
    20 Incubator,WL SS
    Suspension
    whoopies, MSH
    Have you harvested any little baby pilings yet?
    Keep movin', keep believing and enjoy the journey!

Hammock
    ENO DN
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    i have 3 9' telephone polls that are probably 8 - 9'' diameter, I am hoping I can set them 2' in the ground to keep 7' above ground but not sure if 2' in the ground will be stable enough. in my current setup they would be about 16' apart in a triangle.

Hammock
    Martian Bridge (DIY)
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Chief8000 View Post
    i have 3 9' telephone polls that are probably 8 - 9'' diameter, I am hoping I can set them 2' in the ground to keep 7' above ground but not sure if 2' in the ground will be stable enough. in my current setup they would be about 16' apart in a triangle.
    If you could place the piers closer together (and 3 feet down), you will also minimize the amount that needs to stick above ground to achieve the magic 30 degree hang angle. Tarp mounting becomes a challenge at closer distances.

Go visit the hang calculator and do some figuring.

Cheers

Brian
    Good judgment comes from experience, and often experience comes from bad judgment. - Unknown

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12