Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    UGQs ZEPPELIN
    Suspension
    Dutch Clips
    Images

Pier Pilings

I have one usable "hanging" tree (a pecan) in my backyard. All the pines have too many widow makers for me trust them.

I tried using 2 4x4 post sunk 4 ft in the ground and back filled with concrete. They were set in a V with my one usable hanging tree at the center of the V and set about 15 feet from the tree and the post were far enough that I could hang 3 hammocks, one from each post to the tree and one from post to post. One post snaped while my wife and were hanging and the other one is getting ready to break. No one was hurt but we did get a good laugh.

While visiting a hammock store at an outlet store I saw they were using pier pilings/telephone poles to hang the display hammocks from. I stoped by my local marine hardware store and and was able to purchase 2 12 foot pier pilings (same piling they use to construct docks and piers with) for $45 each with free delivery. These pilings are about 7 inches thick and I will bury in the ground where the 4x4 post were.

The pilings will be deilvered in a few days (they said they would deliver free if I was not in a hurry).

While the hammock store I visited used screw in bolts with a hook on the end, I do not know if I would trust them. I found some closed eye bolts rated for 2,000 lbs that I may use as back up for the times if I don't use my adjustable webbing and Dutch Clips (all hail the mighty Dutch Clip).

After I get everything in place I will report back (with pictures as we all know if there are no pictures then it did not happen) and I can then get back to doing some serious hanging in my back yard.
    I am still 18 but with 52 years of experience !

Hammock
    Mikey C. Custom Hammocks
    Tarp
    Kelty Noah 12x12
    Insulation
    Mikey C. Easy-Bake
    Images
    Instead of eye bolts consider one piece of wood on the back of the pole. Put your strap above the chunk of wood and it won't slide past it.

Just an alternative.

Hammock
    Blackbird 1.7 double
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    UGQs ZEPPELIN
    Suspension
    Dutch Clips
    Images
    Appreiciate the idea. As the distance from the poles to the tree will be fixed, I thought about a fixed line with S hooks or similar method to attach to the eyebolt to use just for hanging the hammocks from the pilings to the tree and save the adjustable webbing for the woods.

Regardless I figure the pilings will give me a bomb proof base for playing around with different attachement ideas. Now the hammocks and suspension lines/webbing should be the weak points and I should not have to worry about my large *** hitting the ground and setting off the seismographs and spilling my beer as I try to relax on hot afternoon think about what new hammock related toy I "need".

Hammock
    Mikey C. Custom Hammocks
    Tarp
    Kelty Noah 12x12
    Insulation
    Mikey C. Easy-Bake
    Images
    I am happy to hear you are focusing on the beer not being spilled. I am proud of you.

Hammock
    G-Bird II/Bridge
    Tarp
    Ogee tarp
    Insulation
    DIY TQ DIY Down UQ
    Suspension
    whoopies
    Images
    I'd say plant those trees and treat them as such. NO hardware.
    Hardware limits any adjustments (think fixed points).Just wrap your straps, they'll hold fine, just like a tree. And do the same with your tarp suspension.
    Put them 15 foot apart. Leave 7 foot exposed for a high tarp (summer) option.

Sounds like a good find.
    Ambulo tua ambulo.

Hammock
    DIY Speer-type
    Tarp
    modded SG 12' x12'
    Insulation
    CCF and DAM
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    Images
    Your pilings may need to have some canvas or other chafing gear installed. Some pilings are "tar babies" that are full of creosote. Others are prone to splintering. YMMV.
    "Interesting! No, wait, the other thing.....tedious!"- Bender Bending Rodriques

Hammock
    Blackbird 1.7 double
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    UGQs ZEPPELIN
    Suspension
    Dutch Clips
    Images
    These piling have been treated with the green stuff, no creosot.

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    LARGE!
    Insulation
    DIY Bag UQ
    Suspension
    Nacras an Whoopies
    Just in case you were unaware, that green stuff is an arsenic based preservative.
    It's relatively benign as is, but if you are going to be cutting, sawing, drilling etc. then you might want to consider using some protective equipment.

Or not, It's your call.
    I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives.

Hammock
    Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    Cool! I had a lead on some free telephone poles, but it kind of turned into a pain. Having them delivered is great! Not that you need them, straps will hold just fine, but I've been hanging from eyebolts at home for 3 years; zero problems.
    Trust nobody!

Hammock
    Blackbird 1.7 double
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    UGQs ZEPPELIN
    Suspension
    Dutch Clips
    Images
    I figured using the eyebolts could save on wear and tear on the webbing.

I have an aquatic nursery business and built my ponds out of landascape timbers and treated 4x4's and 4x6's so I am aquainted with working with treated wood. Hasn't effected me effected me effected me yet.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast