Images

This trip's final pad selection

After much testing and reading of this forum's posts on pads, spe's, and other arrangements, I've concluded that for my upcoming trip I will use both the Wal-Mart wide blue pad (the 24" egg crate pads) and the Big Agnes 66" insulated air core. I have cut the Wal-Mart pads in half, giving me two 36" sections that I place lengthwise across the hammock. This creates a pad that is 36 inches wide and 48" long, which is more than enough to insulate from my shoulders to my knees including the sides of the hammock.

Of course, there is a bit of a space between the pads when I get in the hammock but I will also use the Big Agnes insulated air core for comfort and to cover that gap.

I will use this system in both the Clark and the Claytor, and in the Claytor I will put the pads on top of, instead of inside, the pad pocket to allow me to easily let out air from the BA for comfort, and to keep the BA from sliding around (the egg crate pads grip the BA better than the 20" blue pads.)

I bought two 30" waterproof sacks from ****'s. They have 3 attached straps for easy tie on to our packs. They can be tied vertically to the outside of the packs so they won't interfere with tree branches on the sides of the trail while hiking. The blue pad sections, the BA, the hammock and fly all easily fit inside, leaving plenty of room in the pack for all that extra food and the battery operated TV

Temperatures are expected to dip into the low 30's at night so this system should be more than sufficient for bottom insulation. we will use our sleeping bags as quilts for top cover.

Hammock
    ENO double nest
    Tarp
    DIY 8x 10 silnylon
    Insulation
    50* p pod
    Images
    sounds solid.

how is this setup working out for you?

I was just reading through these threads and am curious as to how this setup has worked out for you. I have the BA insulated air core and also the walmart pad. I hadn't thought of cutting the walmart pad in half, but if it works for you, I might give it a try.

Hammock
    DD modular jungle hammock
    Tarp
    wilderness logics
    Insulation
    wilderness logics
    Suspension
    whoopie sling
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by whitefoot_hp View Post
    sounds solid.
    sounds bulky neo
    the matrix has you

Hey Neo. Would you suggest I use the BA insulated air core and cut the Walmart pad to make SPE inserts instead? That might be a bit less bulky. I'm completely new to hammocking and pretty much have my system setup (ENO double, MacCat Deluxe tarp), I'm just trying to work out the rest of my sleep system with what I've got (and not spend any additional $--at least for now).

Thanks for your input.

Hammock
    WB Ridgerunner, Dangerbird
    Tarp
    Big Daddy
    Insulation
    HG 3 Season/IX UQ
    Suspension
    Straps
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by nogods View Post
    After much testing and reading of this forum's posts on pads, spe's, and other arrangements, I've concluded that for my upcoming trip I will use both the Wal-Mart wide blue pad (the 24" egg crate pads) and the Big Agnes 66" insulated air core. I have cut the Wal-Mart pads in half, giving me two 36" sections that I place lengthwise across the hammock. This creates a pad that is 36 inches wide and 48" long, which is more than enough to insulate from my shoulders to my knees including the sides of the hammock.

Of course, there is a bit of a space between the pads when I get in the hammock but I will also use the Big Agnes insulated air core for comfort and to cover that gap.

I will use this system in both the Clark and the Claytor, and in the Claytor I will put the pads on top of, instead of inside, the pad pocket to allow me to easily let out air from the BA for comfort, and to keep the BA from sliding around (the egg crate pads grip the BA better than the 20" blue pads.)

I bought two 30" waterproof sacks from ****'s. They have 3 attached straps for easy tie on to our packs. They can be tied vertically to the outside of the packs so they won't interfere with tree branches on the sides of the trail while hiking. The blue pad sections, the BA, the hammock and fly all easily fit inside, leaving plenty of room in the pack for all that extra food and the battery operated TV

Temperatures are expected to dip into the low 30's at night so this system should be more than sufficient for bottom insulation. we will use our sleeping bags as quilts for top cover.
    I know this is an old thread but I'm curious....how do you like this system. I also have an Aircore but sometimes my shoulders get cold. This system sems like it could cure my problem.

Miguel

• + New Posts