Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: cinch buckles

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Cannibal View Post
    Nope, no way, not gonna happen, not a chance I'm sleeping on the ground. Besides, you made my hammock. Who do you think I'm calling if that sucker dumps me on the ground?
    yeah, it better not. it's 1.9 ripstop though so you should be fine.

right now i'm waiting on the climashield xp from thru-hiker. then it shouldn't be long on the 3/4 uq.

hey, do you have some shock cord on both sidelines? i have gone back to that now. i also figured out the optimal ridge distance is 99-101"(either weighted and fully set up or unweighted with sidelines not yet staked) (i think that's the length, can't remember where i wrote it down) should allow perfect setting of the netting with minimal pull needed from the sidelines. if that doesn't seem to be the right length, i'll double check and see. it turns out to be a little more sag than you think.

Hammock
    Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    warbonnetguy- PM sent.

Images
    For me, it is about the devices having an adverse effect on the webbing/robe/whatever. I also know I am being overly cautious, but if it helps me sleep better at night then that's OK by me.

Like I said before, if I had more time to play with them and gain confidence, maybe. However, my schedule between now and departure is getting compressed like crazy and I just don't have that many more days of trail testing left; sucks! I'm still sweating my cold weather set-up (sweating, get it? ). I'm going to have a very small window to prepare myself for cold in a hammock and will probably have to learn way too much of it while on the Trail. I'm not going to distract myself with an alternative to something I know works for me.
    I'm in the exact same position. My cold weather gear is questionable, and that is my main focus right now.

I am sure Warbonnetguy is right about my setup being overkill, but everything I do is overkill. I know it is odd that my setup can carry more weight than my hammock is rated for, and I only weigh 140 lbs. I may go to lighter straps if I come across any. I still keep an eye out for black polyester ratchet tie downs.

My biggest concern for weight isn't my body weight at a 30 degree angle. My concern is the forces on my setup when I move around in the hammock. I like to hang high, and sometimes have to jump up into the hammock. High being about 4-5 feet. That is one reason I have such a strong suspension.

Hammock
    Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    Looks like you've got a 50 degree weekend coming up; beats my 73 degree weekend. Not fun weather to test cold weather gear.

4 or 5 feet ; jumping into the hammock !?!?!? I can not wait to read the registers behind you!

Images
    Looks like you've got a 50 degree weekend coming up; beats my 73 degree weekend. Not fun weather to test cold weather gear.

4 or 5 feet ; jumping into the hammock !?!?!? I can not wait to read the registers behind you!
    50 is better than 73, but still not enough. I have tested down to 40, and we can expect 20 or below in the Smokies. Maybe I can hang in the beer cooler at a gas station.

I don't know why I hang so high. I don't ever mean to, it just happens.

Images
    why do you hang so high, i love ridin' low

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by warbonnetguy View Post
    why do you hang so high, i love ridin' low
    Never could figure out why. I guess if I'm gonna hang, might as well do it as far away from the ground as possible.

Hammock
    WB Traveler
    Tarp
    Custom OES tarp
    Insulation
    JRB Down UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by warbonnetguy View Post

don't forget, you are using unrated hardware now (the cinch buckle).

What? Unrated? According to the OnRope1 website, it's "Rated for life support" -- (whatever that really means ).

"Civilization is the limitless multiplication of unnecessary necessities."
    - Mark Twain
    “I go to nature to be soothed and healed, and to have my senses put in order.”
    - John Burroughs

Images
    The only hardware rating thats done independently that I'm aware of is the organization that rate climbing gear. The climbing gear is actually tested, with it done on randomly sampled regular production pieces. Everything else is rated by the manufacturer/designer, usually by theoretical calculation rather than lab testing.

Hopefully they're reputable and do it right and then maintain their manufacturing standards so production meets the same quality as the design calls for.

I'd call "rated for life support" as a marketing line rather than a real rating. Even climbing gear (which I would consider rated for life support) has numbers on it rather than a generic rating statement like that.

Hammock
    WB Traveler
    Tarp
    Custom OES tarp
    Insulation
    JRB Down UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Rapt View Post
    I'd call "rated for life support" as a marketing line rather than a real rating. Even climbing gear (which I would consider rated for life support) has numbers on it rather than a generic rating statement like that.
    Agreed, but it is rated... if only by the marketing people.

"Civilization is the limitless multiplication of unnecessary necessities."
    - Mark Twain
    “I go to nature to be soothed and healed, and to have my senses put in order.”
    - John Burroughs

• + New Posts
  • Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast