Tarp
    HG/BWWD/Z-Packs
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Woopies & Straps
    Images

Mc Cat standard vs delux

Ok so Ive decided on my next gear purchase an OES Spin Mc Cat Standard or Delux but I cant decide between the two. Id like to have doors (either sewn on or removable) what are the options for this grizz beaks, sewn on by Brian, or sending it to 2QZQ, are their any others? Id like it to cover both me and my buddy Stella Blue (my dog) if it were to rain in summer/spring. And be able to preform camp duties such as cooking and setting up hammock under tarp with out getting soaked. In peoples opinions who have used one or the other or both, do you think a standard would be to small to cover me and have a dog sleep underneath it? How much more coverage does a delux offer compared to a standard? The difference in the ridgeline length is about 5 in but the side coverage is considerably bigger/smaller (20 inch differencce). Ive only used a BWWD and love how much cover it provides but dont want to carry the weight in the summer so its hard to compare thing to that because its so huge and offers so much coverage. Im still getting used to the who hammock thing in regards to lack of coverage compared to being inside a tent. So just looking for what people have to say in regards to how much coverage the delux has over the standard.
    Sometimes I like to hike and think, And sometimes I just like to hike.

Hiking is'ent about waiting for the storm to pass its about learning to hike in the rain.

Hammock
    Custom Darien 11'
    Tarp
    HG Cuben & Sil SF
    Insulation
    HG
    Suspension
    Whoopie&Dutch bkls
    Quote Originally Posted by lazy river road View Post
    Ok so Ive decided on my next gear purchase an OES Spin Mc Cat Standard or Delux but I cant decide between the two. Id like to have doors (either sewn on or removable) what are the options for this grizz beaks, sewn on by Brian, or sending it to 2QZQ, are their any others? Id like it to cover both me and my buddy Stella Blue (my dog) if it were to rain in summer/spring. And be able to preform camp duties such as cooking and setting up hammock under tarp with out getting soaked. In peoples opinions who have used one or the other or both, do you think a standard would be to small to cover me and have a dog sleep underneath it? How much more coverage does a delux offer compared to a standard? The difference in the ridgeline length is about 5 in but the side coverage is considerably bigger/smaller (20 inch differencce). Ive only used a BWWD and love how much cover it provides but dont want to carry the weight in the summer so its hard to compare thing to that because its so huge and offers so much coverage. Im still getting used to the who hammock thing in regards to lack of coverage compared to being inside a tent. So just looking for what people have to say in regards to how much coverage the delux has over the standard.
    I only have the Deluxe but when I saw the Ultra I thought "huge" maybe hard to hang when trees are closer, when I saw the standard I thought doable but a little small, I could get by but didn't have as nice a porch for camp chores because of the width, when I setup the Deluxe I said "this is just right"

Just my opinion but the Deluxe is a nice compromise being big enough to cover my WBBB 1.7 and I'm thinking it will be fine for winter as is. I'm also looking at putting 2Q/ZQ doors on. Still waiting for a chance to order a winter dream v3, until I do the Deluxe does it all.
    --
    John

Hammock
    Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    Over a Blackbird...and a dog? Without question go with the Deluxe.
    Standard is just enough cover for the Blackbirds, not a lot of extra. But, if your Stella Blue (Grateful Dead?) sleeps directly under the hammock, then she will likely stay dry. Still, the extra width of the Deluxe will be a blessing more often than not.

I have and use both size MacCats.
    Trust nobody!

Senior Member carolinasbackpacker's Avatar
    Hammock
    WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    Hammock gear
    Suspension
    dutch hook mostly
    I love my delux. It has perfect coverage IMO. Love the name Stella Blue (beautiful song too!).
    Show of Life Media Youtube Channel

The Carolinas Backpackpacker Chronicles

I'm drawn to the open country. Its where the world makes the most sense. When I put myself out there I always return with something new.

Hammock
    Warbonnet
    Tarp
    HG/BWWD/Z-Packs
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Woopies & Straps
    Images
    now that the kinda info im looking for thanks for your opinion very helpful. I may try out grizz beaks or see if Brian can sew on permant or make removable doors in spin. The reason I sway a bit is because the the Delux seems just right (as you stated) but something inside me tells me to push the limit a bit and get a standard espically bc I already have a great winter tarp. Now I just want both. I have the BWWD V2 and love it, BWWD tarps are top notch tarps and im sure youll love yours. Does any one have any imput on the standard and how its been for them in some nasty weather. Im a bit paranoid about keeping my down dry espically because once it gets wet, well it becomes pretty much useless in keeping you warm.

edit: thanks for the input gargoyle and carolina, guess ill go with the delux. And yes Stella Blue is named after the song, she is a blue heller so it seemed fitting

Hiking is'ent about waiting for the storm to pass its about learning to hike in the rain.

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    I have seen the sewn on doors on pizza's MacCat done by 2Q&ZQ and it is impeccable.
    Shug
    Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1 Dbl
    Tarp
    OES MacCat Deluxe
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images
    I have a WBBB and placed an order last night for a MacCat Standard. Now I'm worried if it will be big enough. I have SuperFly as well but wanted something a bit smaller for summer.

Hammock
    Blackbird
    Tarp
    MacCat Standard
    Insulation
    Winter Yeti, MWUQ4
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    I use the Standard over a WBBB and it fits perfectly. If I had to keep a dog dry under it I'd go for the Deluxe. You made a good decision.
    “Republics are created by the virtue, public spirit, and intelligence of the citizens. They fall when the wise are banished from the public councils because they dare to be honest, and the profligate are rewarded because they flatter the people, in order to betray them.” ~Judge Joseph Story

- My site: http://www.tothewoods.net/
    - Designer, Jeff's Gear Hammock / Pack Cover by JRB

IMPOSSIBLE JUST TAKES LONGER

Hammock
    Warbonnet BB and Warbonnet Traveler
    Tarp
    MacCat Custom Spin
    Insulation
    Yeti UQ/Nunatak TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    I find that the Standard width is fine with my WBBB, and when I had my Spinntex version made I requested it be in the DeLuxe length. I don't know that the extra 6" of length has ever done anything for extra protection... other than maybe in my mind. I never hesitate to recommend the DeLuxe to anyone, particularly those that may want or need the extra protection.
    I my Warbonnet

Hammock
    Warbonnet
    Tarp
    HG/BWWD/Z-Packs
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Woopies & Straps
    Images
    Ok so an OES Delux it is for summer, Its still half the weight as the BWWD. Now I wonder if Brain can make removable spin doors for it? And as soon as I save more money Ill be getting in touch with Gargoyle for an ogee tarp. Thanks guys

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast