Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Banks of the Amite River, Port Vincent, Louisiana
    Hammock
    HH Explorer Deluxe Zip
    Tarp
    Hennessey Hex
    Suspension
    Prussik Grabber

Smile Hey guys I'm so new my HH Explorer Deluxe hasn't arrived yet.

Hello from the steamy bayous of Louisiana.
    I just made the typical NEWBE mistake of buying without trying. I ordered a HH Explorer Deluxe Zip without even trying one out first. I also exchanged for the big 70D hex tarp. I guess I should have sprang for the silnylon to save a few ounces. I go 6'4" and 270 so who is counting ounces. I was also considering the Clark NX-250. But it was an extra $200 and I haven't tried on of those either. I read a few of the topics here and made my decision based on them. If you can believe that!!! If this HH isn't what I'm after then I'll hand it down to my teenage boys. They can make use of it I'm sure.

I've been backpacking and tent camping of and on for a few decades now. First with really heavy Army gear and other crap that I assembled. Slowly I've gotten some better gear together. Still trying to get my pack into the sub 30# range. Maybe this HH will help? My tent weighs about 5 lbs so I ain't saving but maybe a pound. It's all about comfort right?
    My second to last backpacking trip was one where I slept on two bad slopes on two consective nights. Right then I wanted a hammock. Well I'm going to give this new world a try.
    I did manage to sleep in a hammock a few times in the army. I had a green mesh nylon one that I would stretch between two trees or vehicles. I put my OD Green sleeping bag in it, crawled in and was pretty comfy. You couldn't lay in that thing without the bag though because the thin nylon webbing would cut into your skin. I'm into a lot more comfort now in my 40's that when I was 20. Hopefully this HH is better that that PX job was.

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird 1.7
    Tarp
    Zpacks Cuben Fiber
    Insulation
    Leigh's UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies/Treestrap
    Welcome to the forums. You may have rushed it a tad. But hey you have to start somewhere. Besides the HH Explorer Deluxe Zip is a fine hammock. Many members here use it and like it. Be warned the acquisition of hammock gear can be very addicting.
    Terry

Banks of the Amite River, Port Vincent, Louisiana
    Hammock
    HH Explorer Deluxe Zip
    Tarp
    Hennessey Hex
    Suspension
    Prussik Grabber
    Thanks Poppa Bear. One thing that I've learned over time is that even if you don't know what you are buying, buy quality. I've seen people use the HH on several group trips. They seemed pleased. I did at least call and ask a lot of questions before I decided to buy. I described my body type and the guy at HH said the Explorer would be a fine choice. I'm excited to make a trip now!

Hammock
    HH ULEA w/2QZQ
    Tarp
    OES 12X10 SpinnUL
    Insulation
    DIY momen/PL TQ+UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie
    Welcome, I think you will love the forums here. The folks here run a clean and informative site. Its by far the best I have ever been on. No negative vibes here. No questions to noob or green.
    Congrads on you purchase. I think you will love the hennessy.
    Honesty is the first chapter in the book of wisdom.
    Thomas Jefferson

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1SL/UKHamm
    Tarp
    HG Cuben 4S/CamoSF
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    WhoopieDutchness
    Hi BateauxDriver - welcome to the forum

Hammock
    Warbonnet Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    WB Cloudburst
    Insulation
    AHE Ridge Creek UQ
    Suspension
    buckles
    First, welcome. Second, you didnt rush in & purchase prematurely. Your hammock selection is fine. I had an HH for several years now, and loved it. I JUST got rid of it, because I want to try something different. The HH has got me through several T storms, and I have spent many a night under the tarp, listening to the drum of raindrops. I assure you, you will be well pleased with your purchase.

Hammock
    HH, CJH NX-250, WBBB 1.7 dbl
    Tarp
    Std, Hex, or WBSF
    Insulation
    Burrows&Incubators
    Suspension
    Poly web w/AHE buc

Welcome, and don't fret over your choice!

I too am a Big Guy, although I have you by 20#. Your choice of hammock will serve you well.

I have had three HHs, starting with their original model over a decade ago (gave ot to a neice). Bought one of the first asyms, and sold it to a friend and went with the same model as you for more room & capacity. Only difference is that I have the bottom entry. (I plan on sending it off to get a zipper mod this winter)

Hammocks are a form of addiction - quite a few posters here have numerous rigs - and I have likewise succumbed. Lat week my Clark NX-250 arrived, and this morning I plan on installing a set of Amsteel ropes with whoopie slings. You will also find that second to actual hammock hanging, the dabblers here love modifying their rigs. Crazy fun!

Oh, yeah - I predict that the next thing you will be looking into is some form of bottom insulation. Waking at 0300 chilled to the bone is quite a wakeup call.

Jim

Images
    Welcome, BD! You did not make a bad choice at all, all things (price,quick availability,etc) considered! My 1st choice was also a HH Expl, but a UL. And that was because it was the only light weight designed for backpacking hammock I knew of at that time. Though I have since added several others, that one served (and still serves) me well!

Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    DIY (soon)
    Insulation
    modified SBUQ
    Welcome from Central Louisiana!! Glad to see more of us Louisianians getting off the ground

Images
    Welcome, This is a grat place.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast