Warbonnet BB
    Tarp
    Custom OES BatCave
    Insulation
    JRB quilts
    Suspension
    Whoopies

Hammocks are catching on in Az

Took a friend into Fossil Springs http://hikearizona.com/decoder.php?ZTN=183 for a fast 24 hr trip. I took my blackbird and set up my tarp to try and funnel any breeze into my hammock to help stay cool. Overnight lows were about 70 degrees and a dip in the spring after our hike in was a nice way to cool down.

I had not been here since our AZ group hang last winter. Besides trash and unburied toilet paper being everywhere a lot has changed. It is obvious that the enormous amount of rain we got in the spring sent a huge wall of water down that canyon. There were downed trees everywhere. No problem scouting for firewood if fires where allowed.

We arrived early afternoon and set up camp. To my surprise we were the only ones there. That would shortly change. After dinner, scout groups showed up by the dozens. To my surprise, I discovered a camp of about 10 hammocks made out of bed sheets with one tent from one scouting group.

The hike out was the same death march uphill made even more complicated by my taking of sleeping pills which had not quite worn off.

No pics this time but we had a good enjoyable time. Except for waking up to the blasting of air-horns at 0600

Hammock
    BB 1.7 DL
    Tarp
    MacCat SpinnUL
    Insulation
    Crowsnest
    Suspension
    Adjustable Webbing
    Images
    It's always good to hear about hammocks catching on anywhere. Especially since it's a boy scout troop. It's gives me great hope in our future generations. Sounds like that troop had some exceptionally intelligent young men in it.
    "Once you start down the Dark Path, forever will it dominate your destiny." - Yoda

Hungry Hammock Hanger Website

Hammock
    WB Traveler
    Tarp
    Custom OES tarp
    Insulation
    JRB Down UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Images
    An air horn reveille? I guess it worked even through your sleeping pill... thanks for the report!

"Civilization is the limitless multiplication of unnecessary necessities."
    - Mark Twain
    “I go to nature to be soothed and healed, and to have my senses put in order.”
    - John Burroughs

Hammock
    Most
    Tarp
    Sea to Summit
    Insulation
    Down
    Suspension
    Becket Hitch
    Images
    My kids and I still rank that hike nag hang as one of our favorites so far. Wish we could have gone with you! I think we should set up an annual AZ hang there.

Hammock
    HH Exp A-Sym
    Tarp
    HH 70D "HEX" PU
    I think hammocks in general are catching on in a big way. Thanks to the "Survival" TV shows pitching them as a viable shelter I have been seeing a lot of traffic on camping and survival boards asking how to make hammocks and which ones are good. Of course I keep pointing them at hammock forums!

Hammock
    Warbonnet BB, WB Traveler
    Tarp
    4 Season Cuben
    Insulation
    CrowsNest, Burrow
    Suspension
    Whoopie Sling
    Fossil Springs is a great place. It's always a popular place as every time Ive been there its had quite a crowd. The drag is the climb out for sure, especially with 100-110 degree weather none the less a great place to hang.

• + New Posts