Hammock
    Dutch Half Wit 1.0
    Tarp
    MLD Spinn Asym
    Insulation
    JRB/HG Quilts
    Suspension
    Straps and spiders

A little help with a DIY gathered end.....

Since I have never hung before I wanted to try my hand at making a gathered end hammock and see how it works for me. So today I made some 5' tree huggers, a few soft shackles, a couple of whoopie slings and a 118" x 65" gathered end hammock. I would have made the adjustable ridgeline, but i had previously purchased one from AHE to see what it was like. The whole kit(suspension included) weighs in at about 10.5 oz. The only problem I am having is I am not sure if the hammock was done right. There are some floppy edges to the hammock and if I don't lay in it like an asym then it doesn't lie right at all. I have attached some photos and any tweaks, suggestions or criticisms would be appreciated. Thanks
    Attached Images Attached Images

Hammock
    Dream Hammock
    Tarp
    UGQ
    Insulation
    UGQ
    Looks pretty darn good to me. I'd hold off & spend some time in it before considering changes. From the one photo, it looks like a Warbonnet style whipping.
    Often when I'm making a wider hammock, I'll sew a slight arc of maybe 1-1.5" in the ends (middle longer, edges shorter). This brings the edges in tighter.

Hammock
    Dutch Half Wit 1.0
    Tarp
    MLD Spinn Asym
    Insulation
    JRB/HG Quilts
    Suspension
    Straps and spiders
    Quote Originally Posted by PapaSmurf View Post
    Looks pretty darn good to me. I'd hold off & spend some time in it before considering changes. From the one photo, it looks like a Warbonnet style whipping.
    Often when I'm making a wider hammock, I'll sew a slight arc of maybe 1-1.5" in the ends (middle longer, edges shorter). This brings the edges in tighter.
    Thanks PapaSmurf. I have been playing around with it for the past few hours and have found some better positions. I think the problem is that since I have not used a hammock before I am not sure if the lay is correct. And you are correct I modeled it after a WB by using Knotty's video. I might make another one tomorrow and make it a bit smaller to see how that goes. That is a good idea though to taper in the edges so maybe I will try that too. Thanks.

If anyone else has any suggestions, bring em on!

Hammock
    Argon X90 Experimental hammock
    Tarp
    7'x9' cuben tarp
    Insulation
    Pads and quilts
    Suspension
    Kevlar + dynaglide
    Images
    If you want it to look more like some of the Asym style hammocks it would help define the edges if you used a couple of steps from the Hennessy Clone instructions. Sew the ends from the gathered part down about 8" and then put some tie outs on the sides to hold the sides out at the right points.

That said, it basically changes the look of the hammock but doesn't do much for the lay.

What wold change it more, possibly, is changing the whipping. Hard to tell from the pics but it looks as though you used a gathered end ball but used a W whip? I made a gathered end, but just ran my suspension through the gathering points and didn't make a ball to attach the suspension behind as it appears you have.

Also, something I found to give the sides just a little more edge is to make the sides of the hammock about 1" shorter than the center. This causes the sides to pull up more than the bottom, creating a more defined edge.
    NO SNIVELING!
    www.hikinghq.net - Hiking H.Q.
    www.bmtguide.com - the BMT Thru Hiker's Guide

Hammock
    Claytor Jungle, DIY
    Tarp
    Claytor Diamond
    Insulation
    2/3 UQ, Speer TQ
    Looks really good!
    Before you change anything spend some more time relaxing in it. I have tried many different ways of whipping's and for me the method you are using is the most comfortable.
    Floppy sides can be taken up by attaching tie outs like HH's and all the rest.
    Good luck and happy testing.

Hammock
    Warbonett BB 1.1 DL
    Tarp
    BWDD Winter Dream2
    Insulation
    Winter Crowsnest
    Suspension
    whoopieslings.com
    Looks like you did a great job in making it. Since you are new to hammocking, I'd say just spend some time in it and you'll probably find a sweet spot that works for you. If it's still not working out the way you like, take a look at JustJeff's page on gathering and whipping the ends. It's pretty helpful and well documented. Congrats on a nice DIY project!

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Fine looking hammock and the occupants look comfy.
    I re-whipped mine several times to get it to my liking......
    I too recommend JustJeffs site........ pull the edges a bit on the whip and you'll get it just right.
    Shug
    Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Hammock
    DIY Stretch-Side
    Tarp
    DIY Cat Cut Hex
    Insulation
    Phoenix and Nest
    Suspension
    cinch buckles
    Images
    Floppy edges are normal if you do the balled end type gather.

Hard to tell from the pic, but it looks like the head end might be hanging higher than the foot? Foot end should be the high end.

Laying asym is what most people do in this type of hammock but to me it looks like you're on too much of an angle. Try head at 1 o'clock and feet at 7 o'clock.

Laying down the center is doable but it won't be flat and IMHO not very comfortable.

The hammock looks good to me. Nice work.
    Knotty
    "Don't speak unless it improves the silence." -proverb
    DIY Gathered End Hammock
    DIY Stretch-Side Hammock
    Stretch-Side "Knotty Mod"
    DIY Bugnet

Hammock
    Blackbird
    Tarp
    MacCat Standard
    Insulation
    Winter Yeti, MWUQ4
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by slvravn View Post
    ...if I don't lay in it like an asym then it doesn't lie right at all...
    That's how you're supposed to lay in it...what's the problem?

Seriously - lay in it however you want to. There are a few folks who like to string it tight and lay down the centerline, but not many people leave it that way for long. So they hang it with sag and lay diagonally, like people in South America have been doing for a long time now. If that gets you comfortable, then stick with it.

If my hammock's edges are really floppy, sometimes I'll lay down the centerline and put one foot on each side. It's pretty comfortable but causes the edges to wrap around my upper body. It's good to lay like that for a few minutes but can complicate your insulation a bit if it's cold out.
    “Republics are created by the virtue, public spirit, and intelligence of the citizens. They fall when the wise are banished from the public councils because they dare to be honest, and the profligate are rewarded because they flatter the people, in order to betray them.” ~Judge Joseph Story

- My site: http://www.tothewoods.net/
    - Designer, Jeff's Gear Hammock / Pack Cover by JRB

IMPOSSIBLE JUST TAKES LONGER

Hammock
    Dutch Half Wit 1.0
    Tarp
    MLD Spinn Asym
    Insulation
    JRB/HG Quilts
    Suspension
    Straps and spiders
    Thanks for the comments everyone I think that I will try to re-whip it like the one on JustJeff's site and see how that goes. If I can get the edges a little less floppy then I think that will work for me. I will post up some results after I re-whip it tonight or tomorrow.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast