WB Blackbird
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    Incubator & Burrow
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Quote Originally Posted by Outdoor_Nut View Post
    Maybe a stimulus package targeted at backpackers would help the country out...
    Yeah that would be a great idea!
    Nature does not hurry, yet everything is accomplished...

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird 1.7
    Tarp
    Zpacks Cuben Fiber
    Insulation
    Leigh's UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies/Treestrap
    Trying to find the perfect hammock is a pass time and passion to many of us here on the forums. It is what draws us together and binds us. I for one hope that the perfect hammock is never found. It is the pursuit of perfection that drives us on to keep looking and experimenting. Dang it is just plain fun!
    Terry

Hammock
    DD Frontline
    Tarp
    DIY Nylon
    Insulation
    CCF pad
    Suspension
    AHE webbing
    Still looking, but I've found several features I like/dislike with the few I've tried.

DD Hammock:
    My favorite is my DD Frontline.
    Double bottom makes the option of a CCF pad easy to use in moderate temps.
    The bugnet on the DD is a love/hate affair for me. I love no bugs and the fact it has loops sewn on to spread the top width to keep it away from me, but hate the horizontal zipper which is difficult to reach at the foot end. (a 3' length of paracord tied to the zipper helps, but is far from perfect)
    I also switched the DD suspension and replaced it with AE's webbing & cinch buckles, but the DD suspension isn't really bad. (I use it on my son's hammock now)

ENO:
    The ENO ProNest was a bit too small for my comfort, but I like the ENO bug net's vertical zipper.

GrandTrunk:
    The GrandTrunk ultralight is a very comfortable hammock, no negatives about the hammock itself.

EUREKA:
    The Eureka Chrysalis (bridge type) just didn't suit me, so I sold it.
    Advantage was plenty of storage room inside, disadvantage was it was too tight when openings were closed (condensation problems).

If I were starting over with the knowledge I have so far it would probably be: A DD Camping hammock (double bottom) w/option of sleeping between layers or on top of both, with an Eno bugnet for insect protection when needed.
    wabi

Hammock
    HH Exped
    Tarp
    Chinook 12' x 9'6"
    Insulation
    Exped Synmat 7
    Suspension
    Rings/garda hitch
    True words of wisdom! The perfect hammock is the one you are in

My original post wasn't meant to imply that there was one be-all end-all perfect hammock. I was just wanting to hear what features everyone would want if they could get their own personal perfect hammock. Has anyone tried putting things together that haven't been done before or aren't readily available in the mainstream? Any ideas that you've been tossing around in your head that you'd like to try in conjunction with the features you already have on your mulitple() perfect hammocks? Any mixed and matched features that did not work out quite like you planned?

Hammock
    DD Traveler + GT UL
    Tarp
    DD+HH sil UL
    Insulation
    DD UQ + CCF pad
    Suspension
    Whoopie
    I went a different way, and emailed DD with some ideas for a different hammock and tarp set they could sell, to fill a different niche that is not covered by their current offerings. I got some nice feedback from them, we'll see if anything comes of it.

Quote Originally Posted by Hamper View Post
    Has anyone tried putting things together that haven't been done before or aren't readily available in the mainstream? Any ideas that you've been tossing around in your head that you'd like to try in conjunction with the features you already have on your

Hammock
    Hanging...
    Tarp
    Up...
    Insulation
    Down...
    Suspension
    Tight at 30'
    Images
    In my opinion, the perfect hammock is the one which you lay the best in.... Regardless of conditions.
    Just my 0.02$

/Bomber
    /Bomber.LTD
    Member of the infamous "Hyperborean Hang Gang"
    ]
    "I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work."
    -Thomas Edison
    "If there is anything bigger than my ego in here, i want it dragged outside and shot"!!!
    -Zap Brannigan

To much time on your hands? Waste some time here

Hammock
    DD Traveler + GT UL
    Tarp
    DD+HH sil UL
    Insulation
    DD UQ + CCF pad
    Suspension
    Whoopie
    Yes, BUT... what set of features or qualities make up that hammock that you lay the best in, regardless of conditions? And if your best hammock could be better... how? I think the OP already knows generally that the hammock you have that works best is the hammock you have that works best.... can you be more specific in what works *for you*?

Quote Originally Posted by Bomber View Post
    In my opinion, the perfect hammock is the one which you lay the best in.... Regardless of conditions.
    Just my 0.02$

/Bomber

Images
    The "perfect" hammock does not yet exist for me, though there are quite a few that rate way better than being on the ground. At the moment, I still must choose among a few hammocks that are excellent over all and compete for 1st place and each having a list of relative pros and cons.

The perfect hammock would be as flat as my bed, with no hassles with knee hyper-extension or calf pressure from a foot end center ridge, and allow me to side sleep(legs straight or slight fetal) with zero side twist. Hands down best for these 2 areas so far: JRB Bridge. Close 2nd place is a gathered end(GE) hammock, the HH Safari.

It would allow me to use a pad(dual purpose:hammock plus ground seat or bed) with no problems and total comfort, so no need for an UQ. Again, closest to this goal is the JRB Bridge, closest by a noticeable margin. Followed by various double layer GE hammocks and/or an SPE with single layer GE.

It would have no spreader bars and no problems closing the tarp ends.

It would allow me to sleep in full fetal when I felt like it. Closest to perfect for me: HH safari, followed pretty closely by WBBB, HH Explorer, Claytor No Net, Speer. JRB Bridge no go for full fetal, except for a slight fetal or unless adding a wide pad.

It would have the wide open, roomy in head/shoulder area with comfort in shoulders(back or side) of the HH Safari or WBBB.

It would have the shelf and excellent netting/zipper of the WBBB.

It would have the simplicity of hang, fairly low weight, minimal stretch, not much need for a struct. RL( good comfort in several positions over a wide range of "sag"), good view out due to minimal "bathtub" and no "walls", and great function with a Pea Pod(no bathtub sides to lift Pea Pod) of the Claytor No Net.

It would have the weight of a GT Nano, or at most of a Speer or WB Traveler.

And finally, it would have some sort of weightless hanging frame, or a weightless means of levitating the hammock, so that trees not needed. No more constant watching for poison ivy vines, widow makers or limbs that might break off at 0300 and crush or pierce(SP?) you.

Somehow combine all of the above, and it will be the perfect hammock for me.

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Perfection ....... hanging from two cedar trees by a talking creek.... the air filled with the enchanted waft of Christmas trees ....... a crow cawing me it's discordant mountain tones ....... sun ascends from hiding as I lay mellow and warm on a morning that steals the breath. My breakfast water whispers to me that it is time for grits and pop tarts and espresso. My bowels have yet to detect my awakening. Wind steals under my tarp caressing my sleepy eyes and feels like a soft touch of a good friend. The piney woods seem to welcome my company as I admire and take time to notice it's intensity and delicate grace. The Heavens gifted me this solitary consequence. God does mighty fine work.
    All this from my perfect hammock. Whatever piece of nylon fortunate enough to be lifting me upward. Perfection.
    Shug
    Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Oak Ridge & Linville Gorge, North Carolina
    Hammock
    HHE, 2QZQ Mod4, Jerry 5 DIY
    Tarp
    HG Cuben/SFly Camo
    Insulation
    HammockGear Prod.
    Suspension
    Use them all!
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Shug View Post
    Perfection ....... hanging from two cedar trees by a talking creek.... the air filled with the enchanted waft of Christmas trees ....... a crow cawing me it's discordant mountain tones ....... sun ascends from hiding as I lay mellow and warm on a morning that steals the breath. My breakfast water whispers to me that it is time for grits and pop tarts and espresso. My bowels have yet to detect my awakening. Wind steals under my tarp caressing my sleepy eyes and feels like a soft touch of a good friend. The piney woods seem to welcome my company as I admire and take time to notice it's intensity and delicate grace. The Heavens gifted me this solitary consequence. God does mighty fine work.
    All this from my perfect hammock. Whatever piece of nylon fortunate enough to be lifting me upward. Perfection.
    Shug
    Wow ... well said o'poet of the Piney Woods ... WELL SAID!

WARNING: Will discuss Rhurbarb Strawberry Pie and Livermush at random.

"A democracy is two wolves and a small lamb voting on what to have for dinner.
    Freedom under a constitutional republic is a well armed lamb contesting the vote." ... B.Franklin

Home of the Gorge Rats: Linville Gorge
    My Videos YouTube Channel
    Photo collections Flickr Photostream

Gorge Rat Productions On FaceBook

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast