HH Exped
    Tarp
    Chinook 12' x 9'6"
    Insulation
    Exped Synmat 7
    Suspension
    Rings/garda hitch

The Perfect Hammock(s)

So...I've been reading up alot on DIY stuff. I have no money, time or space to actually realize my own DIY fantasies currently...but the creative ideas can't be stopped.

These forums are great for charging folks up for wanting lots of stuff...so many options...so many different things that make the hanging experience personalized and awesome.

I've noticed so many posts about folks that own multiple hammocks. HH. WBBB. DD hammocks. Claytors. Clarks. Each hammock has it's own set of features that really suck us in. I personally really like the ability of the DD, Hammock Bliss and Clark hammocks to be flipped over to become "lounging" or winter hammocks (due to no permanent SRL) as my wife much prefers to lie in a lounging hammock more so than a purely camping hammock sometimes.

This lead me to wonder about my own personal "perfect" hammock. What features from all the commercially manufactured hammocks do I want for my hanging experiences? If I could only own one hammock, what features would I absolutely want to be incorporated? I thought this exercise might be useful to the community as a whole. Maybe listing personal preferences would help to develop the next best hammock. I know a lot of the cottage industry folks watch these forums and DIYers love challenges! Why not give them all some new material to think about!?!?

So, please post your list of features that make your perfect hammock. I'll start!

1. Channel - I like the gathered end hammocks such as the DD or Clark line with channels that can open up in bivy mode to lie flat. (I don't want to go to ground, but I like the feature just in case)

2. Attachement for adjustable ridgeline - I like the ridgelines for consistent hangs, but I really like the ability to flip the hammock when no net is needed to become a lounger. I imagine a system where there are attachments for an adjustable ridgeline inside the bugnet, (that still extend when in bivy mode, see number 1.) I don't know if this has ever been done or if it is even feasible..but it sounds good to me!

3. Shelf - I don't own a WBBB yet, but I can tell you the most desirable feature for me is the shelf. A place to throw your stuff out of the way..yes please! I would also like the space to be usable when the hammock is flipped...perhaps a reversible pocket where the shelf would be in flip mode so I can drop a book and other stuff in while lounging...

4. Bugnet - double zip and store pocket similar to the 2QZQ mod 4 for Hennessy models. This way I can use the adjustable ridgeline without the net if I want.

5. Flippable to be lounging hammock - mainly for the wife, but I like to lounge occasionally in the park.

6. Tie outs - asym for the hammock and also for the bug net, similar to the clark or DD styles (mainly used for bivy mode, as the adjustable ridgeline would keep the net off when suspended)

7. Double layer for pad - I want an UQ, but my need to be prepared for anything makes me really want to have options for going to ground. I get along fine with my Exped Synmat 7 pad currently, and like the idea of using it in the air or on the ground.

8. Velcro or Omnitape for pad flap - either would be fine for me, but I like keeping the layers together.

9. Pockets to store tie outs - I dislike my tie outs on my HH when stuffing. I wish I had some kind of pocket to stow them in before I packed my hammock up.

10. Snakeskins with pockets for suspension - I often have wished my snakeskins had a pocket somewhere on them where I could fold up and store my suspension lines. I usually wrap the skins up with my straps, but it just looks so messy. I figured a couple pockets would be useful to roll or fold up the straps and tuck them in before folding up the skins for stowing.

11. Adjustable strap suspension - I think whoopies are cool, but I've had too much trouble in the past finding trees skinny enough for my tree straps. I prefer the straps and rings or cinch buckle suspension.

As you can probably tell, I'm not a gram weenie, but I'm not against keeping it light. These features would be the bee's knees for me, but if they can happen while keeping the rig light, might as well add the rest of the bee! Does anyone have any ideas about how to incorporate all these features into one hammock? If you think you could make this hammock ,let me know! I might be able to commission :-)

What is your perfect hammock?

Hammock
    Warbonnets!
    Tarp
    OES, WB
    Insulation
    Crowsnest, Leighs
    Suspension
    Webbing & Buckles
    2. Attachement for adjustable ridgeline - I like the ridgelines for consistent hangs, but I really like the ability to flip the hammock when no net is needed to become a lounger. I imagine a system where there are attachments for an adjustable ridgeline inside the bugnet, (that still extend when in bivy mode, see number 1.) I don't know if this has ever been done or if it is even feasible..but it sounds good to me!
    I remember awhile back someone posted up a split RL on a WBBB. They connected the two pieces with a biner. That way, in lounge mode, the RL could be detached. Hopefully someone will post up the link!
    It's only an addiction if you're trying to quit

Hammock
    Argon X90 Experimental hammock
    Tarp
    7'x9' cuben tarp
    Insulation
    Pads and quilts
    Suspension
    Kevlar + dynaglide
    Images
    My ridge line works like a nacrabiner. One end of the ridge has the loop, and the other has the knot. Under load and storing it stays connected just fine, but when I need it out of the way or have to run one of my socks I just pull the knot out of the loop. But I don't have to flip it. No extra weight for a biner.
    NO SNIVELING!
    www.hikinghq.net - Hiking H.Q.
    www.bmtguide.com - the BMT Thru Hiker's Guide

Hammock
    DD Traveler + GT UL
    Tarp
    DD+HH sil UL
    Insulation
    DD UQ + CCF pad
    Suspension
    Whoopie
    For me, the "perfect" hammock would be as follows.

Gathered end w/channels, for the bivy option. You'll notice I run a DD, pretty much for this reason. But...

Single, breathable layer bottom. Just don't need the extra weight of a second layer. A waterproof bottom for bivy use doesn't really resonate with me, if I HAVE to go to ground I'll just have to try and remember a little something about site selection.

Integrated bugnet with one zipper. Two zippers weigh more and are not really needed.

No structural RL. I've never used one and don't feel a need for one. I also like to easily be able to flip the hammock and use it without the bugnet.

Whoopies. Not going back... I can order tree straps in any length I want them.

Truthfully, if I fit a DD Traveler bugnet to a Grand Trunk Ultralight hammock body, I'd be in pretty good shape... I just have some concerns about the long-term durability of the GT.

Hammock
    Argon X90 Experimental hammock
    Tarp
    7'x9' cuben tarp
    Insulation
    Pads and quilts
    Suspension
    Kevlar + dynaglide
    Images
    Perfect hammock?

I've tried many hammocks. Lots of them combine concepts that work well together and make a sound hammock system. There are some great ideas that are around which cannot be both done at the same time because you either do one or the other. I can't honestly say that a gathered end hammock is what I consider perfect because I find some W folded to be just as good, just different. I can't honestly say that I like a non-structural ridge because I've tried some hammocks that have no ridge, some that have a non-structural ridge, and some that have a structural ridge and have liked them all.

In my system I've made choices in how to build the hammock based on weight, strength, and ease to set up, but I don't think mine is perfect.
    NO SNIVELING!
    www.hikinghq.net - Hiking H.Q.
    www.bmtguide.com - the BMT Thru Hiker's Guide

Hammock
    Blackbird 1.7 double
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    UGQs ZEPPELIN
    Suspension
    Dutch Clips
    Images
    The perfect hammock will always be the next hammock you decide you have to have
    I am still 18 but with 52 years of experience !

Hammock
    DD Traveler + GT UL
    Tarp
    DD+HH sil UL
    Insulation
    DD UQ + CCF pad
    Suspension
    Whoopie
    Respectfully disagree. Odds are, my next hammock will be a Nano7, but by no means would I call it "perfect".

Different horses for different courses, and all that.

Quote Originally Posted by gunner76 View Post

Hammock
    Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    If the 'perfect' hammock existed, there would be no need for HF
    Luckily, perfection is mighty rare.
    Trust nobody!

Hammock
    WB Blackbird
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    Incubator & Burrow
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Any hammock that keeps you off the ground

Quote Originally Posted by gunner76 View Post
    I for one would agree with that....

As an incurable 'gear head' I spend countless hours researching and dreaming about the next piece of perfect gear (even if it might have a few flaws), in my mind at least it's the perfect piece of gear!
    .....untill the next upcoming buy, takes control of my mind

Don't worry my therapist tells me, that I'm perfectly normal

/Wild
    Nature does not hurry, yet everything is accomplished...

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1 Dbl
    Tarp
    OES Sil Winter Tar
    Insulation
    HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Webbing/Rings
    Quote Originally Posted by TheWild View Post
    Any hammock that keeps you off the ground

I for one would agree with that....

As an incurable 'gear head' I spend countless hours researching and dreaming about the next piece of perfect gear (even if it might have a few flaws), in my mind at least it's the perfect piece of gear!
    .....untill the next upcoming buy, takes control of my mind

Don't worry my therapist tells me, that I'm perfectly normal

/Wild
    Our economy is predicated on folks like us! Us gear heads are doing our part to get the economy going again. I just waited a month for a Clark to get here, so apparently they're not hurting for business. Maybe a stimulus package targeted at backpackers would help the country out...

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast