Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
    Hammock
    Dream Hammock
    Tarp
    UGQ
    Insulation
    UGQ

Tutorial - SUL BugSock

This tutorial is based on the ideas and work of others in the following threads -
    http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/s...ad.php?t=20614
    http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/showthread.php?t=21063"
    http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/s...ad.php?t=21051

This particular BugSock was sized for a GT Ultralight with a ridgeline of 97"
    Dimensions: 100” long x 48” deep
    Weight: 1.87oz.

Materials:
    I used 108” wide Black Tulle that weighs .28oz per sqaure yard. (from TulleDirect.com)
    Mini Cordlock (from Quest Outfitters)
    Short Mitten Hook (from Quest Outfitters)
    3-4” Black Polyester Ribbon (from my local Fabric store)
    Lightweight nylon drawstring (from my local craft store)

Construction:
    Layout & cut single piece of Tulle according to the diagram below. Make sure the folded edge is at the top. Per SGT Rock's instructions, make the top approx 4” longer than the ridgeline and angle the head end to allowing the bottom to be approx 10” longer than the top.

I use a hot knife to cut through both layers at once. This tends to fuse the 2 layers together, helping to keep everything lined up for sewing. Tulle can be quite ornery & doesn't like to stay lined up when going through the sewing machine.

TIP: Take a pair of pliers and break off approx half of the blade on your hot knife. This will help keep the blade at an even temperature, allowing you to cut faster.

Sew a 3” strip of folded ribbon on the foot end. Don't worry about trimming the ends yet.

Start at the foot end and sew the 2 cut edges together. Pay careful attention to the 2 cut edges as sometimes the top and bottom layer won't feed at the same rate.

Turn the entire mess inside out and run another row of stitching just inside the first row. Try to stay within the folded seam, so that you are stitching through 4 layers of fabric.

Trim ends of ribbon you stitched on the foot end with a hot knife.

Stitch a small 1-2” piece of ribbon on the inside top edge of the head end. This will reinforce the area where the drawstring enters the channel. Burn a small hole in the ribbon for the drawstring.

Fold and stitch a drawstring channel along the head end.

Install drawstring, mitten hook, cordlock.

Disclaimer – This is not my design. JustJeff came up with the original concept of using a sock and SGT Rock furthered the idea and developed the BugSock.

Thanks for your time.

Last edited by PapaSmurf; 08-25-2010 at 10:10. Reason: Changed Polyester ribbon to 3-4"

Hammock
    Traveler with HNO AirShip
    Tarp
    HNO AirShip
    Insulation
    Leiglo 5/50
    Suspension
    Everything Dutch
    Images
    Man that looks good! and what is your total cost--thinking the Tulle may not last a long time but if cheap enough you can have several replacements.
    Are you the one making/selling these?

Hammock
    diy
    Tarp
    diy hex
    Insulation
    diy kaq & down top
    Images
    sweet tutorial! Thanks for all the pictures! Easy to follow, and looks easy to make.

One question: how long is the bottom as opposed to the top? Wondering just how steep that slope is on the right side of the diagram.
    A good caver never loses her pack.

Hammock
    Dream Hammock
    Tarp
    UGQ
    Insulation
    UGQ
    Quote Originally Posted by MedicineMan View Post
    Man that looks good! and what is your total cost--thinking the Tulle may not last a long time but if cheap enough you can have several replacements.
    Are you the one making/selling these?
    Yea, I guess i'm the one. I've got enough material for 12 or so more and then we'll see where it goes from there. Material cost is only $11.68 each, but it takes a while to build them.

Since I am not the designer of this net, I am returning 5% of every sale back to the HF community. I haven't figured out exactly how I'm gonna do that yet. Maybe I'll do a "pay it forward" offering or gift a net to a member?

Quote Originally Posted by goodcaver View Post
    sweet tutorial! Thanks for all the pictures! Easy to follow, and looks easy to make.

One question: how long is the bottom as opposed to the top? Wondering just how steep that slope is on the right side of the diagram.
    It's just shy of 45 degrees. I think the triangle I cut off was approx 46" wide at the bottom. I don't really like the "pouch" hanging from the bottom and I might play with a more gentle arc next time.

Hammock
    Argon X90 Experimental hammock
    Tarp
    7'x9' cuben tarp
    Insulation
    Pads and quilts
    Suspension
    Kevlar + dynaglide
    Images
    Looks good. I notice you didn't add the loops for running the ridge line through.

I like the little finish on the front. I'm going to try that some time.
    NO SNIVELING!
    www.hikinghq.net - Hiking H.Q.
    www.bmtguide.com - the BMT Thru Hiker's Guide

Hammock
    HH Exped
    Tarp
    Chinook 12' x 9'6"
    Insulation
    Exped Synmat 7
    Suspension
    Rings/garda hitch
    Quote Originally Posted by PapaSmurf View Post
    Yea, I guess i'm the one. I've got enough material for 12 or so more and then we'll see where it goes from there. Material cost is only $11.68 each, but it takes a while to build them.

Since I am not the designer of this net, I am returning 5% of every sale back to the HF community. I haven't figured out exactly how I'm gonna do that yet. Maybe I'll do a "pay it forward" offering or gift a net to a member?
    These look awesome! How much are you asking? I might be interested in purchasing one

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    DIY Sil-Nylon
    Suspension
    Whoopie DIY
    Nice work!

Hammock
    Dream Hammock
    Tarp
    UGQ
    Insulation
    UGQ
    Quote Originally Posted by Hamper View Post
    How much are you asking? I might be interested in purchasing one
    $50.00 + $4.95 shipping.
    Each net is custom sized for your hammock. I can go up to 53"(ish) on the depth and whatever length you need.

Hammock
    Dream Hammock
    Tarp
    UGQ
    Insulation
    UGQ
    Quote Originally Posted by SGT Rock View Post
    Looks good. I notice you didn't add the loops for running the ridge line through.

I like the little finish on the front. I'm going to try that some time.
    I never encountered the net twisting problem, but loops could easily be added. The polyester ribbon on the front won't allow the foot end of the net to slip over the end of the hammock. This would be more of a problem with channel end hammocks. Some of my earlier open bottom nets had 2" openings and were slipping over the whipped end when stretched tight.

Hammock
    Argon X90 Experimental hammock
    Tarp
    7'x9' cuben tarp
    Insulation
    Pads and quilts
    Suspension
    Kevlar + dynaglide
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by PapaSmurf View Post
    I never encountered the net twisting problem, but loops could easily be added. The polyester ribbon on the front won't allow the foot end of the net to slip over the end of the hammock. This would be more of a problem with channel end hammocks. Some of my earlier open bottom nets had 2" openings and were slipping over the whipped end when stretched tight.
    I hear ya, I tried a 2" opening and it ended up sliding down then ripping out. After that I sewed the end up most of the way - but no ribbon or cord to re-enforce the hole. My hammock is channel end so it was an issue.

How easy for you is it to open the net and get out with the hook there? I keep thinking of trying it, but I also picture myself at 0200 trying to get out in a hurry for nature and unable to get the hook out of the way.
    NO SNIVELING!
    www.hikinghq.net - Hiking H.Q.
    www.bmtguide.com - the BMT Thru Hiker's Guide

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast